“Nice Property - BUT... Not Impressed with charges for 'basic' amenities”

West Des Moines Marriott
Ranked #7 of 22 Hotels in West Des Moines
Reviewed 7 July 2014

Stayed at this property for 3 nights while attending a GoodGuys car show in Des Moines (it was the host hotel recommended by them). We attend the car show each year but this was our first experience with this hotel. Room rate was reasonable ($92/night for 2 adults not including taxes). It was obvious this is a 'business' hotel (conference rooms, ect.), and in general the property was very clean and well maintained. I requested a handicapped accessible room on the main floor which was very nice.
That said, I did notice several things that made me decide not to stay there again. First, there was no free internet service in the rooms. The only free internet service was available in the lobby area and it was extremely slow (I'm sure to entice annoyed guests to purchase the in-room internet service for either $10/day or 'premium' internet in-room service for $15/day). They also charged you for internet service in the conference rooms. I mean REALLY, charging for internet service? I'm sure business travelers could write-off the charge to their business accounts but I was not impressed that I had to go to the lobby each time I wanted to check my email. Secondly, on Saturday morning it was raining and rather than go out for breakfast, we decided to eat at the hotel. My wife asked to substitute something on the menu and was told there would be an additional charge (the request was not significant). Food was O.K. (I had an omlette and english muffin, she had oatmeal and we both had coffee), the final bill was $24. Not worth the 'premium' price in my opinion. Third and last was the swimming pool. It was very nice, there was an abundance of towels and I noticed there were handicapped lifts for both the pool and the hot tub (seldom seen at many hotels). However, I noticed the tile around the pool walls was dirty and stained and appeared to not have been cleaned for some time. I could easily wipe-off the accumulation with my fingers indicating that the cleanliness of the pool is lacking.
In all, we had a pleasant stay and were somewhat satisfied, but the internet, meal substitution charges and lack of attention to the pool cleanliness will cause us to look elsewhere when we return next year for the annual car show in Des Moines.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Carl H
ConcordHospitality, General Manager at West Des Moines Marriott, responded to this reviewResponded 8 July 2014

Dear Carl H,

Thank you for taking the time to write. I am happy to hear that overall you had a pleasant stay. I apologize for your disappointment with internet, cost & pool tile cleanliness. I appreciate you sharing our strengths along with areas of opportunity. It is feedback like yours which allows us to impact future guest experiences.

Reviewed 6 July 2014

The Marriott has been the headquarters hotel for a classic car show my husband and I have been attending for several years. The entire hotel has gone through a beautiful renovation in the last couple of years. Alas, looks aren't everything. We discovered a few things during our recent stay: In-room internet is no longer free! Sorry, but I'm not one to sit in the lobby in my jammies reading or playing Facebook games. The reno must have been expensive! Also, I almost fell off the toilet trying to reach the toilet paper. What a odd place for the paper holder. One bar of soap to move between the sink and the shower and one bath towel per person. I tried not to get the towel too wet drying my body before I wrapped my hair in it. Some things never change, though. Service in the restaurant was characteristically bad. Understaffed and slow. For just a few bucks more - and a free breakfast - we'll stay at the hotel across the parking lot from now on.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business

Dear Joni O,

Thank you for sharing your feedback. This is definitely not up to our standards and we are constantly working on improving the quality of service provided. I have taken note and wish to thank you for all your valuable comments regarding internet, toiletries and food service. These are of great importance to us and allow us to monitor and improve our service continually.

Reviewed 23 June 2014

Nick Agnus provided the best service that I have had at any hotel that I have been to in this area. He was kind, attentive, and made sure that our time at the hotel was as productive as possible. I highly recommend you request his help when having an event here.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
ConcordHospitality, General Manager at West Des Moines Marriott, responded to this reviewResponded 26 June 2014

Dear Will,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review. I am so glad to know that your time at West Des Moines Marriott was productive. I look forward to sharing your kind comments with Nick Agnus and hope to see you again on your next trip to the area.

Warmest Regards,

Reviewed 23 June 2014

Went here for a meeting, best space I've experienced in a long time. We got a nice space to work, plenty of food and water throughout the day, and a lunch that was delicious.

Options for vegetarians, and a large variety of beverages to choose from. Nick frequently checked in on us for anything additional needs without being a bother, and responded efficiently with those needs.

Great spot for a meal or a small business meeting.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
ConcordHospitality, General Manager at West Des Moines Marriott, responded to this reviewResponded 25 June 2014

It’s wonderful to hear that our staff was friendly and accommodating to your requests. I'm delighted to know you enjoyed our many vegetarian food selections. I will share your kind feedback with Nick. We look forward to your next visit.
Best,

Reviewed 23 June 2014

My organization was in a pinch to find a training location for new staff coming into the state. We needed the space quickly, in a private area, food provided and needed this for two entire days. I spoke with Nick Agnus, the restaurant manager, and he was an incredible help! He offered the private dining room because the conference rooms were booked, secured a projector and screen for us, set the tables and took care of all the eating arrangements. We had a wonderful training and overall experience at the hotel because of Nick and all of his help making this event a success! We will definitely come back and recommend this location to others.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business

Thank you for taking a moment and writing a review. I'm happy to hear that you found our staff friendly and helpful, and that you were able to accomplish your training goals. I will share your kind feedback with Nick. We hope to host your next event!
Best,

Reviewed 14 June 2014

Where to begin, booked a room for my 2 daughters and I and our 2 small dogs because we went to the CHER concert in DM. Arrived on a Sunday night. After we got our dogs settled and all our luggage in (which was very inconvenient making 2 trips all the way thru the lobby and up to our room way down the hall on the 7th floor) they offered help w luggage, but we like to handle our own bags. So by the time everything got settled into the room we were hungry and went out for a bite. We went across the street and got some Taco Johns and decided we were too tired to eat in the restaurant and were just going to eat it in our car in the parking lot of the hotel because we didn't want to lug it all up (in front of the front desk) up to the room and deal with the trash in the room. The parking lot was full and we picked an out of the way spot (under a light mind you) to eat. About 10 minutes later 2 men approached our car in a brisk manner from behind and scared us to death when they began shining their big mag light flashlights into our vehicle, temporarily blinding my 12 year old in the back seat. We had our dome light on the whole time and were full on chowing down, it was no mystery as to what we were doing. I was in the passenger seat and I rolled the window down and one of the men in a very stern voice asked me "Just what do you think you are doing? WHAT is going on here?" I said, "We are eating (gesturing at my full lap of quesadilla) and we are guests at this hotel and didn't want to drag our food into the lobby, just eat it in the car." Then I gave him my room number and full name. They had announced themselves as hotel "security" but later it seemed it was the front desk night clerk and the janitor. The desk clerk then said very sternly again, "well we have had some burglaries in the south lot and someone thought they were in a white car........AND YOU ARE IN A WHITE CAR (very accusingly). I just looked at him puzzled--get the visual, a mom and her 16 yr old and her 12 year old daughter knee deep in tacos in a 2014 Dodge Journey and these guys are still on the fence about us? We were hardly the picture of "security risk". I told him we would be in in just a few minutes as were were finishing up our meal and would park somewhere else in the lot. Then he says, "ok, well......let us know if you "need" us".. Even after I announce we were guests at the hotel they still were treating us like criminals. Furthermore, the following night after the concert we got back to the hotel after 11pm. Went out to eat again (after checking on dogs and taking them outside) and EVERY time we would parade in front of the hotel desk clerk (same guy that approached car) he would glance up at us disapprovingly and at 12:30am when we came in for the night, he said through gritted teeth, "morning". As though were were sneaking in and our dad caught us. I am a 45 year old woman, it was just so uncomfortable. Like he was judging us for being out late or something (it bears mentioning we were all dressed very nice, not like we were scummy/dirty people trying to fit in at a fancy hotel). We were ideal guests, quiet, our dogs quiet and not destructive, held our dogs when in the hotel elevator, halls and lobby and I had never felt more unwelcome. Furthermore, there were only 3 towels for a room that could hold 4 people, the floor in room by front door was uneven, coffee service for only 2 people, not pet friendly, they accept pets but it's a pain to parade down through the lobby with them-especially when you keep getting "the look", vending machine on 7th didn't work, only 1 roll of TP in room, top of back of toilet lid had been broken and crudely glued back together, no fridge or micro, internet is NOT free, bathroom drain slow and weird hairs all over shower ceiling, notepad had one sheet left on it. Just no attention to detail by housekeeping. Elevators are small (warning claustrophobics). The "parking lot incident" is what we will remember the most about what was to be a great girls out trip with my kids. It's all they could talk about, we just kept saying, "I can't believe that happened!". It seems like the guests they would prefer are the business travelers with no pets and expense accounts. We paid $159 a night for 2 nights and there was $75 pet fee plus $4.50 tax on the pet fee (unrefundable even if no damage which there wasn't in our case). After all the state and occupancy taxes our final bill was $435.66 for 2 nights and it was the worst money ever spent. We would have rather stayed somewhere friendlier (will next time) for a cheaper price and shopped with the difference we spent at the Marriott. Will not be back and will tell our friends who frequent DM not to stay their either. You will also be getting some bad press from our daughter that lives in DM as she tells her acquaintaces. It's funny too, you can see in the catalog that the bedding set costs about $4000, but when there is not enough TP in the room, that really doesn't matter does it? I am expecting the "canned response" from management "apologizing" for our "unusual bad experience" in their hotel, but it really doesn't matter. Damage done. On a lighter note, CHER AND CYNDI LAUPER WERE AWESOME!

Room Tip: 7th floor was quiet all night for us. Little spooky quiet in fact. Was a lot of construction noise a...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank Lori H
ConcordHospitality, General Manager at West Des Moines Marriott, responded to this reviewResponded 17 June 2014

Thank you for writing. Please know we take all guest feedback very seriously and would like to discuss the issues you encountered at your earliest convenience. I assure you that our highest priority is delivering the quality product and service that our guests have come to expect and deserve. Please feel free to contact me directly to further discuss. We appreciate your honest assessment and hope to hear from you soon.

Reviewed 10 June 2014

It is a nice 2 1/2 stars hotel at West Des Moines. For the price paid $129 per night is fantastic. The maid housekeeping is a fantastic service. The Bed and pillows were excellent. Nice buffett breakfast on the weekends and during the week there is a Perkins cafe walking by 3-5 minutes. It is on Jordan Creek Parkway close to everything. I stayed here for a wedding at Des Moines Golf & Country Club and no complaints about hotel. Only missed valet parking service, but the parking is free and in front and side (big) of the hotel.

Room Tip: No special room asked.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
ConcordHospitality, General Manager at West Des Moines Marriott, responded to this reviewResponded 12 June 2014

JimmMPR,

Thanks very much for taking the time to share your experience and for your kind words. We hope you had a great time at the wedding and to see you again the next time you’re in West Des Moines.

Yours truly,