“Overnight Trip”

Sheraton West Des Moines Hotel
Ranked #17 of 22 Hotels in West Des Moines
Reviewed 15 August 2013

I had a good experience with the Sheraton West Des Moines. I had an overnight business trip and the room was satisfactory - clean and spacious. I only used the hotel to sleep in and I didn't use any other of the hotel's amenities. The three most important things to me are bed, internet, and the bathroom. The king size bed was comfortable. The WiFi was decent. The bathroom wasn't amazing but it was clean and the shower had good water pressure and hot water. The hotel was nice but there isn't much going on in the area. I only interacted with the front desk person and he was very nice. I thought the lobby area with the waterfall and how the hallways to all of the rooms could look down to the lobby was pretty cool. I couldn't hear anyone around me, which was nice. I noticed the elevator took a little while to get up to my floor - nothing terrible though and it was approaching checkout time. I would consider staying at the Sheraton again, but I may also look at a place downtown.

Room Tip: I was on an upper floor. The elevators aren't the fastest so you may want to try to stick to a l...
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled on business
WithrowGM, General Manager at Sheraton West Des Moines Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 26 August 2013

I am glad you enjoyed your stay! I hope you have a little more free time the next time you are in DesMoines so you have the opportunity to check out a few of our other amenities like Sheraton Fitness or the Link @ Sheraton. We look forward to seeing you again!

Reviewed 15 August 2013

We stayed for Christmas in 2012. It has nice amenities, a fitness center, pool and a nice bar and restaurant. I can't complain, it provided what we paid for when staying with the in-laws. It's close to the highway and close to plenty of shopping and restaurants if you need that convenience. The stafff was nice and attentive, so I would recommend this to anybody staying in the West Des Moines area.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled with family

We are so glad you enjoyed your time at Sheraton!

Reviewed 12 August 2013

We were in Des Moines to participate in a Tennis tournament, and the Sheraton was the principal hotel. The room was very nice - once you got an elevator to get up there. Be careful of the stairs. Only the stair tower by the north west corner will give you access to the ground floor. The stair tower by the south east corner only opens to the outside. The entire weekend, the elevators were a serious bottleneck, and to make it worse, one of the elevators (rated for 16 persons), sounded the overload alarm and wouldn't move with 8 people in it (no one was over 200# - this was the weekend for baseball and tennis tournaments. Breakfasts were great: made to order omelets, variety of fresh fruit, and standard eggs, bacon, sausage, yoghurt, muffins, juices, etc.. In addition to the elevators, Management really should change the carpets in the hallways leading to the rooms: they are really in bad shape (stains, chemical burns, etc.). We had a problem with the shower, but a call downstairs resulted in one of their engineering staff coming up (within 15 minutes), and he replaced the shower head: problem solved quickly and with a smile. If you need a firm pillow, either take your own or roll up the bath towel. They have 8 towels in the room, but all are soft.

Room Tip: 10th floor is the concierge floor (special percs.) We weren't there, but some of our group were...
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank DrEvS

Thank you for sharing your experience! We hope you are able to stay with us again the next time you are in Des Moines.

Reviewed 22 July 2013

We stayed two nights here. It is a bit dated - but we were very comfortable. The bathroom was rather small but the toilitries were pretty good. We tried to take advantage of the free points for having housekeeping skip cleaning the room on the first day but got a note under our door saying we couldn't do it (after we had confirmed it with the front desk). All was taken care of by the desk staff though. We thought the breakfast buffet looked pretty good but was kind of pricey so we went elsewhere. We were able to walk to dinner, although the streets are pretty busy so you have to play Frogger to get across safely. No safe in the room, which I would have liked to have had. The bed was very comfortable but the pillows were kind of lumpy. I was surprised how quiet it was with all the softball teams in the hotel - we saw lots of kids but never heard one peep.
One extra bonus - we had the BEST view of the Clive fireworks (both Friday and Saturday nights) from our 8th floor room. It was amazing.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank tawney112
Reviewed 15 July 2013

My family attended an event in Des Moines and I wanted you to know of my experience at the Sheraton West Des Moines. I made reservations for 3 people and prepaid by using Hotwire.

We arrived to find our room had 1 bed for 3 people. My daughter had to sleep on the pull-out sofa (those things are not comfortable no matter what you do). As we were pulling the sofa bed out...we found a riding crop tucked in the mattress. NO DOUBT what it was used for and I think that is disgusting. I had no confidence in how clean the room was after finding that. The riding crop was obvious from the moment we pulled the bed out of the sofa!! I wanted to leave immediately but our room was already paid for. We asked for more blankets to be sent up for the sofa bed to create more of a barrier between my daughter and the mattress...they never arrived. Fortunately we had brought 3 big blankets for the ride out to Iowa and we brought those up from the car to use.

Our bathroom was so tiny you had to straddle the toilet or step into the bathtub to close the door. We had 2 bath towels for 3 people....and extras never arrived either when requested. Ridiculous!

My hubby gave credit card at check in for incidentals. We were not informed that they would charge $50.00 each day to our card no matter what AND not deduct any room charges from that amount deducted for incidentals. Spoke with a very rude and argumentative woman at the front desk named Becky Wagner. Instead of being concerned and helpful and creating a good customer relationship, she just wanted to be rude, argue with me, and tell us she goes through the same thing when she stays at other hotels. I asked her why we were not told that incidentals would be charged to our card (which is perfectly fine) AND that $50.00 would be charged to our credit card each day as well (not OK). She told me that takes too much time. WHAT??? I was very mad at that point!!

I do Payroll at a 4 Seasons Resort and I know good customer service...the Sheraton does not have it thanks to Becky. To try to salvage a little of our stay...we took our daughter swimming in the smallest pool I have ever seen at a hotel...no towels available. Heated pool was freezing and we stood around wet and cold waiting for towels to show up as the towel rack was long since empty. Spoke to 2 other families waiting for towels as well. Hubby went to front desk to request them and 30 minutes later, still no towels. So I went to front desk, spoke with a very nice lady (FINALLY)...and towels were delivered immediately. All in all, worse Sheraton experience ever and was bad enough that I probably will not be staying with Sheraton again....definitely will not be staying at the one in Des Moines. I also will be sharing my experience with Hotwire and TripAdvisor as well as with my resort I work at.

The customer should not be argued with and treated like we were. If they are unhappy about something, you make it right. I thought Sheraton had better standards than that! We did not get what we paid for!!

Room Tip: go to a different hotel!
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled on business
4  Thank Bobbi N
WithrowGM, General Manager at Sheraton West Des Moines Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 19 July 2013

I am very sorry you had such a disappointing experience at our hotel. I have shared your comments with our Housekeeping and Front Desk management and proper training has been completed to prevent this from happening again. Thank you for taking the time to share your situation so we can become a better hotel.

Reviewed 8 July 2013

I booked this on Hotwire. I have 3 daughters--16, 14, and 8 years old. I usually end up with not enough bed space, so I reserved a room for 3 adults. It was a small room with a king sized bed, and a queen sized pull-out sofa. I didn't want a pull-out! I really wanted two beds! And it was supposed to be a non-smoking room, but the room smelled like smoke. For a long time we thought we were hearing a loud stereo or band, but then we realized that it was a motor or a fan that was making a "Boom, boom, boom, boom" noise. The staff was very nice. The pool was clean and decent.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Becky K

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience. We are always taking steps to improve our hotel and services. We hope to see you again!

Reviewed 1 July 2013

We stay at this hotel usually once a year. We really had no problems at all but it needs some superficial work. Pros: friendly staff, comfortable beds, spacious rooms (did the king bed with sofa pull-out), nice pool/sitting area (pool is a little small), pretty good buffet breakfast (worth it if you can get it free or discounted).

Cons: it was overrun with softball teams (and we were one of them so I get that but it was crazy) - elevators were incredibly slow - so slow we took the stairs (luckily we were on the 2nd floor or we couldn't have done that - we would literally wait that long and gave up), showers did not drain well - by the time I was done with my shower (pretty quick shower) water was above my ankles, and there mas what appeared to be mold (black stuff) around the bathtub drain.

Would I stay here again?? If the price was drastically lowered.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Kristi A

I hope you enjoyed your time in Des Moines for the softball tournament. We are always looking for areas to improve our hotel and services. You requests have been noted for future renovations. Thank you for choosing Sheraton!