“Getting old and tired”
Review of Valley West Inn

Valley West Inn
Ranked #22 of 22 Hotels in West Des Moines
Reviewed 25 August 2014 via mobile

I have stayed at this location on and off for 30 years, but I am sad to report it's dying a slow death. The whole place especially the back part is run down. My room was OK and I think clean but the sheets were old and stained which creeped me out. Old style TV. Hotel has a great location but for some reason there is lots of sketchy looking people around but I have never had any problem. I hope they can renovate this property but for now I will look elsewhere

• Stayed: August 2014
Dallas J, General Manager at Valley West Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 10 December 2014

Thank you for taking the time to give us your feedback. I am happy to hear from a long time guest. We are currently working on some plans to improve the hotel and bring it back to life. Thank you again for your time.

Reviewed 24 August 2014

This is an older hotel but very clean and it looks like they are working hard to keep up the property. Check In clerk and morning clerk very helpful and cheerful. It was a bit hard to find. A bit off the main street, did not see the sign and had to back track a couple of times. Please be aware that there are stairs. Even though we were on the first floor we had two short flights of stairs to maneuver with our luggage.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple

Thank you for your recent visit. I am happy to hear you found out hotel clean and staff helpful and cheerful. We are working hard to find ways to improve our hotel as well. Thank you again for taking the time to give your feedback.

Reviewed 12 August 2014

We stayed overnight and the room was dirty and the maintenance issues alone should have kept them from renting room 202. The toilet would not flush, the hand washing sink had a bucket under the pipes 1/2 full, the bed was 1/2 way off the frame, the shower would not turn on with out pulling hard on the spout then it barley sprayed. cleanliness issues were a hand towel with makeup stains all over a bath towel with pupic hair, blood on the door frame of the bathroom, the carpets were stained. It was nasty.

• Stayed: August 2014

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with feedback from your stay. We take pride in offering a clean and friendly hotel at an affordable price. When we fail to meet those expectations it is unacceptable and we will use your feedback to review with the staff on what our expectations are. I am truly sorry to hear that we did not meet these basic expectations during your stay and I thank you for taking the time to inform us of these issues.

Reviewed 6 August 2014

A group of 12 stayed overnight at the Valley West Inn while in the area visiting wineries. The rooms are large and clean. Free internet service is always nice! There is an elevator to the second and third floors but one still needs to climb a few steps to the hallway where the rooms are located. There was no place to sit to visit and play cards because they do not have a breakfast room or complimentary breakfast. Free coffee and rolls are available each morning in the lobby. There are comfortable chairs in the lobby area but it's smallish. For a "real" breakfast there is the Cozy Cafe in the same building. Their full breakfast special ($3.95 when you purchase a beverage) was large and wonderful! Eggs, hashed browns, choice of breakfast meat, and toast, all cooked well and to our orders. This is not an elaborate new hotel but is a recommendation for those who want a nice place to sleep, clean and safe, and with a very friendly staff. Chain restaurants are in the area...Olive Garden, Red Lobster etc.

Room Tip: First floor rooms would avoid the few stairs that one must take to the upper rooms, even after exiti...
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Foodwriter50459

Thank you for taking the time to give us your feedback. I am happy to hear you enjoyed the free internet and found our hotel clean. Our unique design does offer some complications in certain areas that require stairs in the front of our building. Thank you again for providing your feedback and we hope to see you again.

Reviewed 31 July 2014 via mobile

Make sure you request a remodeled room. They will place you in an older, mildew smelling room if you are not knowledgeable of the Inn. I requested a roll away bed and was told they would have to find one....makes me think they went to the basement and were going ro dust me off an old cot, I'll pass! After requesting to be moved because of a filthy bathroom, I was told they could put me in another room with the same qualities, seriously? And that was all they were willing to do to accomodate me. No partial credit for the room, a meal ticket or even a toothbrush (they don't offer these items btw, just some old soap that should be called "use at your own risk")!! So, if you stay here please remember that PICS can be deceiving!

• Stayed: July 2014

Thank you for taking the time to give your feedback. Unfortunately not all of our rooms have been renovated yet and some of our rooms are outdated. I apologize for the confusion on the rollaway, as our property is unique and divided into different buildings we try to keep items that we have limited amounts of such as rollaway's in storage closets throughout the property to make it easier to deliver due to stairs, unfortunately sometimes this means that we have to check the different storage areas to locate one if some of them are being used. All of our rooms offer the same qualities in regards to the amount of amenities and layout of rooms and number of beds. In order to provide rates that are lower than most of the other hotels in the area, we do have to limit our amenities that we offer such as toothbrushes and other extra request items in order to provide the low rates that we offer. I am truly sorry for the issues you experienced during your stay and will use these to work on improving our operation. Thank you again for your feedback.

Reviewed 9 July 2014

The room I had was nice. It was missing a glass in the bathroom. The mirror over the desk was laying on the bed when I entered the room. I had to lean it against the wall. The location was great, close to the mall and two nice restaurants in walking distance.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your feedback. I am sorry to hear about the mirror on the bed as that is something we should have had repaired prior to you receiving the room. I am happy to hear that despite of that you found our room nice and location great. Thank you again for your comments.

Reviewed 11 June 2014

We liked the location - away from the usual trucker traffic. The lobby is beautiful. We stayed in the front and although the hallway, side entrance and rooms are dated, it is generally clean and comfortable. Certainly not luxury but we paid for comfort, cleanliness and a nice area of town and we for that.

• Stayed: June 2014
1  Thank Debbie T

Thank you for your feedback. I am pleased to hear that you enjoyed our property and found it to be clean. We take pride in providing a clean, friendly, and affordable place to stay. Thank you again for your feedback.