“Clean room, nice staff, comfortable beds, towels and pillows aplenty!”

Extended Stay America - Des Moines - West Des Moines
Ranked #20 of 22 Hotels in West Des Moines
Reviewed 20 May 2011

My husband and I, plus our adult son and his wife, stayed for a total of four nights at Studio Plus in West Des Moines, and we found the room to be clean, comfortable, everything in working order. We opted for a smoking room, since we totaled four smokers. Upon entering, you couldn't tell it was a smoking room. The office staff was nice, and accommodating when necessary. The internet was a little slow, even after we paid for the upgrade. The tiny two cup coffee pot requires you to bring your own filters and coffee, if you want more than one pot. We did find one small, young cockroach under the kitchen sink, but since there was no evidence of any others following a thorough search, we figure it must have come from the luggage of a recent traveler in a room next door, and should not reflect on the hotel. There were plenty of towels available, extra fluffy pillows, good water pressure in the shower and sinks, clear water, and though we didn't use it, the gym looked nice. All in all, a pleasant stay. We'd definitely stay there again.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled with family

Reviewed 1 January 2011

After a long day of traveling, my toddler son, pregnant wife, and myself arrived at this hotel ready to get some rest, enjoy the hotel, and refresh ourselves for another on the road. We arrived to find the entryway smelly and unappealing (there was no front-desk - just and office desk in a side room), and the hallways smelly and out of date. The room wasn't much better. The room large enough and it did have a nice layout and studio style setting with a small kitchen, however, the room smelled, the bed was very uncomfortable, the mattress stained, and the carpet and furniture looked very dirty. I could see dirt stains on the couch cushions. On top of this, the hotel did not have any cribs or any accommodations for our son to sleep.

My pregnant wife just couldn't handle it, since she was very tired and knew she would not get any good sleep, so had to cancel our reservation and find another hotel. On our way out, a lady with a HUGE dog kept walking in and out of the hotel - I'm assuming this may account for some of the smelliness of the hotel if they allow pets to stay. It looked like the lady may actually be staying there long-term.

One positive thing about the hotel was the staff. The lady at the front desk was very gracious when we canceled (she's actually the only one we met), although she could not completely refund our money because we had reserved the hotel through Priceline - which brings me to my final point.

The price we paid on Priceline appeared to be a good deal for a two-star hotel, however, I would say the hotel is a one-star at best (in present condition). I normally have had very good success with Priceline, however, I would suggest they drop this hotel from their website until improvements are made to this hotel. If the hotel is not dropped from the Priceline site, they should certainly downgrade the hotel from a two star to a one star.

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled with family
Reviewed 8 November 2010

I visited the Des Moines area last summer while on vacation, and I stayed at the Studio Plus. I was very satisfied with the establishment. I got a great rate for the room, and the staff was very courteous. The fact that the room had a full size stove/oven and refrigerator made me feel like I was at home. I had checked out a day earlier than expected, and I received a refund for the day and I was not expecting it. Thanks. A++++++

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled solo
Reviewed 17 October 2010

The Studio Plus was nice, very pleasant staff. The Hotel is an extended stay, so we had a kitchen with full fridge, stove and an oven. We had a smoking room and it was clean and did not smell like smoke, which was surprising. Also we were on the third floor so it was nice to open the window and let some cool air in. There were a few things that could use some attention, like the tub did not drain well and the tub creaked when you stood in the shower, also the little loveseat/sofabed was a little worn. There were no pots/pans in our room, but the staff took care of that as soon as we notified them. They also have more that one entrance which stay locked all the time so you use your room key to open them.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 24 August 2010

I have stayed at this Hotel many times over the last 10 years. They are always pleasant and professional. I really enjoy the rooms and the amenities that are available. The location is near major shopping areas and there are several 4 star restaurants in the immediate area!! When I travel, I always look for this type of accommodation!! Studio Plus is at the top of my list!! I recommend this hotel to anyone looking for "Home Style" accommodations.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled on business
Reviewed 21 July 2010

The service was friendly, but the room smelled terrible. The halls smelled smokey. The room had several things broken and was really in a poor state.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 17 July 2010

I can't describe our room as "dirty" but it doesn't feel clean. The other guests here seem to all have dogs with them. The fridge smells like spoiled milk.

Travellers also viewed these West Des Moines hotels
Staybridge Suites West Des Moines
Staybridge Suites West Des Moine...
#15 of 22 in West Des Moines
Hampton Inn West Des Moines Lake Drive
Hampton Inn West Des Moines Lake...
#1 of 22 in West Des Moines
Candlewood Suites - Des Moines
Candlewood Suites - Des Moines
#18 of 22 in West Des Moines
Drury Inn & Suites West Des Moines
Drury Inn & Suites West Des Moin...
#5 of 22 in West Des Moines
Residence Inn Des Moines West at Jordan Creek Town Center
Residence Inn Des Moines West at...
#8 of 22 in West Des Moines
Hyatt Place West Des Moines/Jordan Creek
Hyatt Place West Des Moines/Jord...
#6 of 22 in West Des Moines

Been to Extended Stay America - Des Moines - West Des Moines? Share your experiences!