“Here for a wedding”

Extended Stay America - Des Moines - West Des Moines
Ranked #20 of 22 Hotels in West Des Moines
Reviewed 11 August 2014

We selected this location because of its proximity to the area we would need to be in so we did not have to navigate through the city to get to the location of a wedding. It was our first stay at an Extended Stay facility and were very happy with the decision.

Room Tip: Rooms at the end of hallways capture opening a closing of doors a lot. Can be annoying at night.
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank David R
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Des Moines - West Des Moines, responded to this reviewResponded 14 August 2014

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your stay. I'm glad you enjoyed our convenient location. We are pleased to have provided you with a pleasant stay. Thank you again for your review. We look forward to seeing you in the future, should your travels bring you back to our area.

Reviewed 29 July 2014

If I would have paid prevailing rate for this hotel, I would feel that I had been ripped off. The room was fairly clean. Hallway smelled strange but room free of bad smells. Bed hard and uncomfortable. Staff seemed friendly.

Since I didn't stay long term I don't have a full picture of this hotel, but based on comfort, clientele, and hallway smells on my visit, not sure this hotel can justify premium rates.

No doubt you can find worse so not saying don't stay here, but don't expect 3 star either. I would classify this one star.

Room Tip: 2nd floor not too bad.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Budget_Hotel_Family
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Des Moines - West Des Moines, responded to this reviewResponded 22 August 2014

Thank you for your recent review of your stay. I am pleased to read that your room was clean and that our staff was friendly; however, I regret to read of the odor in the hallway and that your bed was uncomfortable. In response to your feedback, I will be working with my housekeeping staff to review cleanliness standards so that we can prevent odors in the future. As well, please know that your feedback on your bed will be helpful to us as we continually work to improve our hotel. Thank you very much for providing us with your feedback. If you would like to discuss this further, please do not hesitate to contact me at wdm@extendedstay.com. We hope that you will give us the opportunity to provide you with a better stay the next time you're in the area.

Reviewed 28 July 2014

The front desk staff was pleasant and helpful when they were available. I saw them outside by the pool smoking the majority of the time. Hallways smell terrible, seems as though the windows need to be opened and air the place out. Our room smelled like mildew and we ran the air conditioner with the window open just to be able to stand the smell. Carpet was filthy, probably where the smell is coming from. Poorly stocked kitchen, one spoon, one fork and one knife. Kitchen wasn't very clean, dirty handles on the fridge and stained sink. Bedding needs updating or a good bleaching. Glad we were only there one night, will not return.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank amyrandyclaire
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Des Moines - West Des Moines, responded to this reviewResponded 30 July 2014

Thank you for your recent review of your stay. We are sorry to hear about the issues you encountered during your stay. In response to your feedback, we will be working with our housekeeping staff to ensure all areas of our hotel are cleaned properly and smell fresh. Still, we are glad that you found our staff to be friendly and helpful.

Thank you very much for providing us with your feedback. If you would like to discuss this further, please do not hesitate to contact us at wdm@extendedstay.com. We hope that you will give us the opportunity to provide you with a better stay the next time you're in the area.

Reviewed 17 July 2014

On a cross-country trip, this is the first motel (including ESAs) that fell well below minimum standards for normalcy. The reception people were...not actually in reception half the time we were looking for them. The entire place REEKS of smoke (to such an extent that my dad, a smoker, complained). furniture in room was worn out and - in the case of my bed and an easy chair - broken. Really broken. Not like, scratched broken. Visible water damage in both bathrooms, and found hairs (not ours) stuck to one of the toilet seats when we entered the room for the first time. One of two area a/cs had visible mold growing in it, so we were scared to use it. I could go on and on, but the moral is: BEWARE. I am usually quite fine with cheap motels, but this one is really pretty bad. One bright spot is that it is walking distance to mall, Target, Walgreens, and other useful stores for a long-term stay. Oh, and there's a pool.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank Rebecca S
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Des Moines - West Des Moines, responded to this reviewResponded 21 July 2014

Rebecca - Thank you for your recent review of your stay. We are sorry to hear of the issues you encountered during your stay. We will be working with our housekeeping and maintenance staff to improve our room quality and to ensure our rooms are always clean and fresh.

Reviewed 2 July 2014 via mobile

Stayed two months and was my second visit. Staff are helpful especially Monica/ Kristi and a maintenance man who turned the mattress without hesitation!
Close to nice mall...walking distance! Great places to eat including vegan lunch stop within two blocks. Some updates are planned but overall a safe and pleasant stay!

Stayed: June 2014, travelled solo
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Des Moines - West Des Moines, responded to this reviewResponded 10 July 2014

Judith - Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your stay. We are glad you enjoyed our location and our great staff, especially Monica and Kristi. We are happy that we provided you with a "home away from home" experience.

Thank you again for your review. We look forward to seeing you in the future.

Reviewed 15 June 2014

The hotel is easy to find. I was checked in very quickly and got the exact room and location that I had asked about, very nice. The hotel is extremely well kept, pretty nice fitness center, Very nice pool area. Spacious rooms. Plenty of variety in shopping within a short drive. I was able to cook and enjoy a couple meals in the room, which is homey and money-saving. Enjoy, I did!!

Room Tip: The HyVee Grocery Store near by "is" the place to buy food. Check it out!!
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Des Moines - West Des Moines, responded to this reviewResponded 30 June 2014

I appreciate you taking the time to write a review of our hotel. I am glad that you were pleased with your quick check-in, our fitness center and our pool area. As well, it's great to hear that you enjoyed your spacious room, our location and your fully equipped kitchen. I will be sure to share your kind remarks with our team.

Thank you for choosing Extended Stay America. We hope to see you again, should your travels bring you back to our area.

Reviewed 7 February 2014

This is my second time staying here for work. The rooms are clean, spacious, modern, and affordable. What more can you ask for! Oh, the free grab and go breakfast is convenient as well. I recommend this hotel for everyone, business traverals and families.

• Stayed: February 2014
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Des Moines - West Des Moines, responded to this reviewResponded 10 February 2014

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your stay. It’s great to hear that we were able to provide you with a comfortable stay at a great value. I’m so pleased that you enjoyed your clean, spacious room and our grab-and-go breakfast. We look forward to seeing you in the future, should your travels bring you back to our area.