“Make your stay perfect”

Ranked #2 of 22 Hotels in West Des Moines
west Des Moines, United States
“Make your stay perfect”
Reviewed 2 July 2014

Perfect stay...quiet, comfortable, clean..If you travel this area be sure to consider the Hampton...you will not be disappointed. The breakfast is great and you will receive a great nights sleep....The hotel has been maintained and everything seems so new.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Hampton

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (61)
Kansas City, Missouri
Reviewed 29 June 2014

Our usual downtown hotel was unavailable, so we decided to venture into this area, attracted by lower rates. The Hampton Inn is a bit isolated, with the Motor Vehicles office the only major building nearby, but it's right off the highway and easily visible from the exit. There are, however, no shops or restaurants within walking distance. The hotel does have a pantry shop on the premises where you can buy food, and the rooms are equipped with microwaves and mini-fridges.

Our room was quiet and clean- standard Hampton Inn. Breakfast included a good variety of hot and cold foods. My husband got his high-cholesterol stuff; I got plain oatmeal and a couple of hard-boiled eggs, although his cinnamon roll looked good!

Exercise room had one of everything; I used the elliptical trainer which worked well except that I couldn't get the TV attached to it to turn on. Pool was a nice size and I had a swim the evening we arrived. Wi-Fi worked fine.

A few areas to improve: my husband found the TV menu hard to figure out (he eventually did). We were on the ground floor and there was a light shining directly from the sidewalk into our window. This is also standard for this type of motel but it doesn't really serve a safety purpose- it just lights up the building unnecessarily and irritates the inhabitants. Finally, our window had no sheer curtain, which meant that we had to either keep the blackout curtains on and the lights on even during daytime, or have our activities visible to people walking by on the sidewalk.

Overall, though, it met our needs: clean, quiet, decent fitness facilities. We'll definitely consider a repeat visit.

Room Tip: You may want to avoid the ground floor because of the outside lights.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Belmond, United States
Reviewed 29 June 2014

The check-in process went smoothly, room was very clean and couldn't hear the room beside us, and the complimentary breakfast was delicious and excellent overall. The location was right off of I-80 west with shopping and restaurants very close by. We would recommend this location to others without a doubt.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple

Dallas, Texas
Reviewed 28 June 2014 via mobile

We are staying on the way home to Tx from visiting family in Minnesota.
The hotel is sold out but booked with Many Many baseball teams. These youths (10-14yrs?) Are running up and down the halls, yelling, throwing balls, hollering at each other, playing in the elevators, overloading them, causing others to have to take the stairs..all while the parents are down in the lobby with coolers of beer, while the kids run unsupervised. I went to the front desk who advised me they must 'catch them'. I am very unhappy and disappointed with not only the situation, but the customer service as well. Front desk told me 'thats the way it is in the summer in Des Moines. Well, exactly How Is 5he General Traveler supposed to know this? Seriously? Thats the answer to an upset guest? Not good Customer Service

• Stayed June 2014
1 Thank phcruiser
rhansenwdm, General Manager at Hampton Inn Des Moines-West, responded to this review, 2 July 2014
Thank you kindly for taking the time to provide your comments regarding your recent experience with us. We genuinely appreciate any feedback we receive from our guests.

I would like to apologize for the less than satisfactory stay you had due to the noise and service issues you experienced. As the summer months do bring many youth sports events and teams to our area, we do hire uniformed security when we have teams stay with us in order to help prevent noise or other issues for our guests. Typically we have had success in doing so; however, it sounds as though we had fallen short during your stay. I am reviewing our service expectations with the staff to avoid any similar experiences going forward. As I would like to follow up more directly with the staff member you spoke with, as well as our security provider, I would love to know what evening you stayed with us. If you are so inclined, I can be reached by phone at 515-223-4700 or email at rhansen@ncghotels.com.

Thank you again for your comments. We would certainly appreciate the opportunity to earn your future business if you would give us another try when your travels bring you back to our area.

Ryan Hansen | General Manager
Hampton Inn - West Des Moines | 7060 Lake Drive | West Des Moines, IA 50266
P: 515.223.4700 | F: 515.221.1010
Honolulu, Hawaii
Reviewed 22 June 2014

We did not enjoy our one-night stay but are impressed that the hotel honored its guarantee of a free stay if not completely satisfied.
First our reservation was inaccurate. We thought we had agreed upon a room with two double beds but instead were presented with a king bed and sofa sleeper. Because of back problems none of us could use the sofa sleeper. The rude curt reception clerk informed us that the king study was considered as a two-bed room and that there were no other rooms available.

The toilet did not flush fully when we first used it, but we were too tired from our late night arrival to hassle a plumber. Later that night the toilet became almost completely plugged.

The bathroom fan was very noisy.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
rhansenwdm, General Manager at Hampton Inn Des Moines-West, responded to this review, 25 June 2014
Thank you very much for taking the time to provide your comments regarding your recent stay with us. We sincerely appreciate any feedback we receive from our guests.

I would like to apologize for the less than satisfactory stay you had due to the reservation and toilet issues. I am happy to hear that we did invoke our satisfaction guarantee for you. As I would like to follow up a bit more with our staff on my end, I would love to know if your room was booked direct with the property or through a third party website so that we may try to avoid a similar reservation scenario for future guests. If you are so inclined, I can be reached by phone at 515-223-4700 or email at rhansen@ncghotels.com.

Thank you again for your comments and for choosing to stay with us. We would certainly appreciate the opportunity to earn your future business if you would give us another try when your travels bring you back to our area.

Ryan Hansen | General Manager
Hampton Inn - West Des Moines | 7060 Lake Drive | West Des Moines, IA 50266
P: 515.223.4700 | F: 515.221.1010
Saint Louis, MO, United States
Reviewed 21 June 2014

The entire staff is cordial and top-notch. The rooms are very nice and the breakfast and fitness facility were just what I needed to start my day right. Corey, the tech support guy and shuttle driver is terrific. He was everywhere and ready to lend a hand when you needed it with a positive attitude. I will definitely stay next time I am in West Des Moines!

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business

MN
Reviewed 20 June 2014

We stayed here earlier this week (June 2014) during a work trip for my husband. What a wonderful place! Very new and updated. We were upgraded to a whirlpool suite by the very nice female assistant manager when we checked in. Score! It was much appreciated. The room is decorated very nicely. The kind bed was huge and oh so comfortable. Four pillows so no fighting over those. Clean and just really, really nice. We forgot our toothbrushes and toothpaste and the hotel provided those to us at no charge. The breakfast in the morning was wonderful! Hot and fresh: cheese omelets, sausage, biscuits with gravy, waffle machine, fresh fruit, cereal, bagels, toast, etc. They have a large lobby area with lots of seating for everyone. Plug-ins throughout so you can charge your phone or laptop. Just really great hotel!

Room Tip: The whirlpool suite with king bed is amazing!
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled on business