“showing its age”

Ranked #17 of 22 Hotels in West Des Moines
Oregon
“showing its age”
Reviewed 22 October 2013 credit card Amex Cardmember Review

This is a relatively inexpensive place to lodge on the Des Moines metro's west side. But beds and desk chairs are getting old and not so comfortable. The staff is very helpful but it's difficult for them to make up for the infrastructure breakdowns. The need to do a major refurbish to maintain value.

Stayed October 2013, travelled solo
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Candlewood Suites - Des Moines, responded to this review, 12 November 2013
Dear vineman51,

I appreciate that you took the time to review our property. Please accept my apologies if you were not satisfied with the condition of the room that you were given. Please be assured that your feedback about our property needing to have some refurbishments have been noted and will be forwarded accordingly to management.

Kind Regards,

Pam G
Case Manager
IHGCare

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
Shawnee, Kansas, United States
Reviewed 22 October 2013

Easy location near the highway and many chain restaurants. 15 minutes to downtown. Staff was professional and courteous. Bed & pillows were comfortable. Didn't use the perks of video/cd rental but thought that was a nice feature. Only complaints were that my room had an odd odor to it (dad's didn't) and that the A/C was really loud and would wake me every time it would kick on. Dad was smart & turned his to fan so it ran all night & didn't have that issue.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
North Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 9 October 2013

I recently drove from Minneapolis to San Diego. Des Moines was my first stop. I have stayed in other hotels under the IHG brand, so I wanted to try out Candlewood, which turned out to be very pleasant! First of all, the location is great, just off I-80, and the hotel area was very quite with a few restaurants in walking distances. The staff was very friendly and recognized me as a platinum member with a nice snack-packed gift bag. They offer free laundry which I didn't use. I had a studio room with a comfortable king-size bed. The room was actually bigger than I expected and equipped with a full kitchen. The bathroom was clean and neat. TV and internet both worked great. I particularly like the table/desk layout with plenty of space. It'd be even better if complementary breakfast was offered. Overall, I enjoyed staying in this hotel.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled solo
2 Thank adizzyfish
minneapolis
Reviewed 7 October 2013

I needed a one night stay at a place that was clean, convenient and with the amenities I needed. Got it all at this hotel! Nice large suite with full kitchen - spacious and well laid out bathroom. Wifi worked super. As a bonus, the hotel had an area where guests could get snacks and other items, and pay on the "honor system." I dropped my cash in the drop box and was pleased to see that there really is trust in our society!

Only minor quibble is I'd read another review that said the pillows weren't too great - and - they were not. I'd recommend replacing this item. Otherwise, most pleased with my stay and thank you!

• Stayed October 2013, travelled solo
Wilmington, Illinois
Reviewed 3 September 2013

Stopped here overnight last week. This is a great location west of Des Moines must south of I-80. It is an extended stay facility, but served our purposes for an over night stay on the way from Chicago to Omaha. Lot's of nearby restaurants and other facilities in the area. The staff was very friendly and accomodated our needs very well. Nice having a full sized fridge and dishes and silver ware, even for an overnight stay. No pool was the only draw back.

Room Tip: I believe all rooms are basically the same
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 21 August 2013 via mobile

We are on our way from Kansas to Minnesota and this hotel is halfway. We used a freebie night because we are members of this hotel group.

Room is large and spotless. Bed is queen, immaculate sheets and multiple pillows. Nice little kitchen area with all the basics, including a package of popcorn in the microwave. Very friendly desk clerk.

We have our little dog with us but did not specifically get a "pet room" because the room was already assigned before we got here. No evidence of animals ever being in here. My dog hasn't even sniffed that much. Nice pet walk area with complimentary pickup bags.

The hotel is situated in an office park area just off the freeway with several other hotels and restaurants around. Very convenient off and on bot I80 and close to I35. We will stay here again for sure.

Wi-fi is included and signal is strong enough to stream Netflix so we didn't use the big flat screen in the room..

This would be a great long term for one person, maybe a little tight for two, but fr overnight it is very very nice.

Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
San Carlos, California
Reviewed 14 August 2013

We were delighted to find a real, one bedroom apartment for $50 less than a single room at Holiday in in spiffy West DES Moines.What a treat.Full-size fridge, dishwasher, real plates and silverware! You do have to be a little bit self sufficient.Towels and sheets are not changed daily,but you can exchange towels as much as you want.Tale a hair dryer.The apartment was beautifully appointed with two flat screen tvs, if you want a free DVD go to the front desk.Staff is just lovely.We shopped at Whole Foods on University Ave,then made a lovely dinner and breakfast.I will look for more Candlewoods on our monthlong trip.Oh, and they are dog friendly,yeah!

Room Tip: Stayed in room 130, very quiet, walked on rolling lawns by pond with fountain to watch the sunset.En...
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple