“Home town friendly and clean!”
Review of Super 8 Winterset

and 1 more site!
Super 8 Winterset
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Winterset
Portage, Wisconsin
“Home town friendly and clean!”
Reviewed 23 May 2011

We traveled from Wisconsin to see the Bridges and John Wayne History. We had read the reviews and had some reservations. But were so pleasantly surprised. Bill was very friendly and informative. We took his advice on places to see and dine and he was right on. The room was clean and we were well taken care of. If we are ever in the area again this is our place!
Thank you Bill and staff! Hope to see you again!

2 Thank 60202Jackie

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
Mora, Minnesota
Reviewed 20 May 2011

In spite of some of the nasty things we read about this motel my wife and I chose to stay here anyway. We were very pleasantly surprised and found very clean conditions and Bill was a very amiable and helpful manager.

1 Thank Cooper62
Oelwein
Reviewed 16 May 2011

The stay started out fine and staff was very friendly when I checked in. We were there for an outdoor event and due to the rain it was cancelled for that day. My family and I stayed in our room most of the day after stopping at a local store where my daughter bought a can of silly string. Need I say more two kids stuck in a room with a can of silly string. After there fun with silly string, they picked it all up. There was none any where except in the trash can.

The morning before I checked out I cleaned the room again picking up bits and pieces off the floor that the kids missed. Picked up all our trash straighted the beds, etc. 3 hours after we checked out I get a phone call from the owner Bill, demanding I what I did to his room and why we felt the need to trash it with silly string. Yelling at me and demanding why I would bring silly string into his hotel. He kept yelling at me that now he had to clean the floors and strip the beds. I really hope he would strip the beds after each vistor but I thinking this may not be the case. Ranting and Raving that he was going to charge my room for cleaning fees.

I told him I was still in town and I would be in to access the "damage" to his "trashed" room. I wanted to see the damage for myself as I didn't see any when I left I offered to have the carpet professiionally cleaned if it was stained by the silly string after I inspected the room for myself. I could not calm this man down, he told me that I was no longer welcome at his hotel again and that if I set foot on his property again he was going to call the sheriff and have me arrested for tresspassing.

There was no reasoning with the man at all. No matter how much I tried to make it right with him he kept going off on me and threatening me.

I have never in my life been treated this way at a hotel.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled with family
5 Thank MotoMom1217
Saint Charles, Missouri
Reviewed 3 May 2011

The room was HOT and the AC was marginal at best. The hotel is older and therefore the rooms are in need of updating and was only somewhat clean. The Manager was not pleasant at all, however the desk clark was very nice. The lobby/office/front desk are closed from 11 pm to 6 am and we therefore had no help when at 1:30 am a whole hotel full of manic teenagers (my guess is after prom) took over. Yelling, running up and down the hall, laughing, slamming doors so hard the room shook, for an hour or more disturbing everyone in the place. Unfortunately it is the only Hotel in Winterset.

3 Thank smiles4uu2000
Lawrence, Kansas
Reviewed 18 September 2010

My cousin and I were visiting Winterset to tour the Bridges of Madison County. I made reservations about six weeks prior to the visit. Bill, the innkeeper was just super. He provided excellent customer service and has a great sense of humor. Bill makes his guests feel like they have come home for the evening. I've never had an innkeeper escort me to my room, turn on the lights, show me around, and then tell me if we needed anything to call him. My cousin and I felt it was quite a welcoming touch. Bill also kept freshly popped popcorn in the lobby for guests. I liked that touch. We found the room to be clean and tidy and the bed was quite comfortable that night. Bill strives to put his guests first. I would definitely stay again.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled with family
Pocatello, Idaho
Reviewed 11 August 2010

Manager Mike and staff could not have been more congenial and helpful during our short stay at this picturesque town. The wife enjoyed the speedy wifi. Mike helped us locate all the "Bridges of Madison County". The clean quiet room fit our needs exactly. We hope to visit again.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled as a couple
eschuber
Reviewed 11 June 2007

Nice base for seeing the bridges. Friendly staff with nice continental breakfast. Quiet rural setting with cow pasture across the street. Only problem is that walls are a little thin.
Fine price. Clean

• Stayed May 2007, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Also consider these accommodations in or near Winterset
Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Indianola, IA
Lakeside Hotel Casino
Lakeside Hotel Casino
#3 of 7 in Osceola
AmericInn Lodge & Suites Stuart
Days Inn & Suites Des Moines Airport
Hilton Garden Inn West Des Moines
Hilton Garden Inn West Des Moine...
#1 of 22 in West Des Moines
Baymont Inn & Suites Des Moines Airport

Been to Super 8 Winterset? Share your experiences!