“Best vacation ever!”
Review of Covered Bridge Inn

Covered Bridge Inn
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Winterset
Reviewed 29 June 2011

My children and I took this trip to Winterset because it has been a dream of mine for a very long time. I was a little nervous about staying in Winterset after reading some of the reviews, but I wanted this vacation to be all about visiting the Bridges of Winterset and get a real feel for this small, beautiful city so I decided to give it a chance. It was the best choice I made. Bill was excellent! He made us feel at home as soon as we walked in. I'm a lover of the movie "Bridges of Madison County" so walking in and seeing that movie playing in the loby was great. As soon as Bill heard how much I loved that movie he gave us helpful tips of places that we needed to see (ie... Frostee's - the best Ice Cream shop in the world!). He told us that we where just in time, he was just about to make fresh popcorn and told us that it should be done as soon as we got our bags to our room. He called us to let us know it was ready and offered us more towels since he knows that teenage girls like to have a lot of towels! (my girls thought this was great- since they have long hair.) Bill really made my dream vacation possible with all those special little touches he added without being intrusive to our privacy! All I can say is if you really want the true experience of Winterset, staying at the Super 8 in Winterset is the perfect place to stay! Thanks a lot Bill for everything!

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled with family

Reviewed 4 June 2011

Everything was fine my three nights there. Nice town, too. Very friendly.

Stayed: May 2011, travelled solo
1  Thank stephen1944
Reviewed 24 May 2011

There are a couple of unpleasant reviews on this site. I can only believe that they had some bad experiences on their way here. My wife and I don't travel much but we usually stay at Super 8s, and we found Bill's operation to be very good. It is an older unit but very well-maintained--clean grounds, kept up, clean rooms, no unpatched holes in walls, welcoming, friendly and efficient staff, the price is right. I've stayed at newer 8s in far worse shape. Our only complaint is about the people above us who seemed to have some problems calming down their small herd of buffalo. I figure they were related to the guy(s) who made the complaints on this site. We'll stay here again when we come back.
(We also had a tire problem--Bill guided me to a reliable repair shop ( Sunday yet), a towing service and offered a ride. Great guy!!)

Room Tip: Call ahead
2  Thank ansonb1
Reviewed 23 May 2011

We traveled from Wisconsin to see the Bridges and John Wayne History. We had read the reviews and had some reservations. But were so pleasantly surprised. Bill was very friendly and informative. We took his advice on places to see and dine and he was right on. The room was clean and we were well taken care of. If we are ever in the area again this is our place!
Thank you Bill and staff! Hope to see you again!

2  Thank 60202Jackie
Reviewed 20 May 2011

In spite of some of the nasty things we read about this motel my wife and I chose to stay here anyway. We were very pleasantly surprised and found very clean conditions and Bill was a very amiable and helpful manager.

1  Thank Cooper62
Reviewed 16 May 2011

The stay started out fine and staff was very friendly when I checked in. We were there for an outdoor event and due to the rain it was cancelled for that day. My family and I stayed in our room most of the day after stopping at a local store where my daughter bought a can of silly string. Need I say more two kids stuck in a room with a can of silly string. After there fun with silly string, they picked it all up. There was none any where except in the trash can.

The morning before I checked out I cleaned the room again picking up bits and pieces off the floor that the kids missed. Picked up all our trash straighted the beds, etc. 3 hours after we checked out I get a phone call from the owner Bill, demanding I what I did to his room and why we felt the need to trash it with silly string. Yelling at me and demanding why I would bring silly string into his hotel. He kept yelling at me that now he had to clean the floors and strip the beds. I really hope he would strip the beds after each vistor but I thinking this may not be the case. Ranting and Raving that he was going to charge my room for cleaning fees.

I told him I was still in town and I would be in to access the "damage" to his "trashed" room. I wanted to see the damage for myself as I didn't see any when I left I offered to have the carpet professiionally cleaned if it was stained by the silly string after I inspected the room for myself. I could not calm this man down, he told me that I was no longer welcome at his hotel again and that if I set foot on his property again he was going to call the sheriff and have me arrested for tresspassing.

There was no reasoning with the man at all. No matter how much I tried to make it right with him he kept going off on me and threatening me.

I have never in my life been treated this way at a hotel.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled with family
5  Thank MotoMom1217
Reviewed 3 May 2011

The room was HOT and the AC was marginal at best. The hotel is older and therefore the rooms are in need of updating and was only somewhat clean. The Manager was not pleasant at all, however the desk clark was very nice. The lobby/office/front desk are closed from 11 pm to 6 am and we therefore had no help when at 1:30 am a whole hotel full of manic teenagers (my guess is after prom) took over. Yelling, running up and down the hall, laughing, slamming doors so hard the room shook, for an hour or more disturbing everyone in the place. Unfortunately it is the only Hotel in Winterset.

3  Thank smiles4uu2000
Also consider these accommodations in or near Winterset
Lakeside Hotel Casino
Lakeside Hotel Casino
#3 of 7 in Osceola
Cobblestone Inn & Suites
Cobblestone Inn & Suites
#2 of 2 in Winterset
Americas Best Value Inn & Suites- Stuart

Been to Covered Bridge Inn? Share your experiences!