“No cinnamon rolls, no bacon, no pastries, but a lovely fellow”
Review of Smoffee's Bakery & Bistro - CLOSED

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
Smoffee's Bakery & Bistro
Price range: US$3 - US$9
Cuisines: American, Contemporary
Dining options: Breakfast
Description: Smoffee's Bakery & Bistro serves wonderful home-made baked items, Panini sandwiches, soups, gormet coffee and unique home-style lunch specials. We are open for breakfast, lunch and special events. SMOFFEES IS NOW FOR SALE.
Reviewed 29 September 2012

Detoured off I-70, waited a long time for a menu, ordered and found out they had very little to offer....Disappointed, but the gentleman working was soooo nice I felt badly...that said, I don't think we would return...Pastry case had chips in it and the menu was very very limited for breakfast and there was only the one person working...so, despite his lovely nature, I don't think we'd try again.

Reviewed 18 August 2012

After visiting the World's Largest Ball of Twine in Cawker City, KS (on US 24), we stopped in Colby for a break. This was the first restaurant we saw and looked friendly, and it was! It was extremely casual; the cook/waiter let us know that the menu was being redone, so he told us about the daily specials. Apparently locals eat there all the time, so it's important for them to provide variety.

We took the suggestion for a breakfast dish (served all day), the Sunrise Breakfast Bowl. It was spectacular; scrambled eggs with all the usual mix-ins, green peppers, cheese, and some high-quality sausage. Absolutely delicious and hit the spot after a morning of driving.

Service was excellent; they made a pitcher of sweet tea when I inquired about it, and gave us suggestions for places to visit, from locally all the way to Denver. Seems like they would be happy to cook pretty much anything upon request, and are very happy to have people in. Give Smoffee's a try!

Reviewed 23 June 2012

We stopped here on our drive across Kansas after reading the reviews on TripAdvisor.
Besides the flying gnats everywhere, the totally rude service sent us away. We left without ordering and opted to eat snacks in our car instead. We will never stop here again.

1  Thank nowincolorado
Reviewed 8 May 2012 via mobile

We stopped in Colby during our cross-country move with two young children. After you pass Topeka going west, there isn't much in terms of good wholesome food in Kansas. We pulled off in Colby and decided to try Smoffees for breakfast after reading the good reviews and we weren't disappointed. You have to travel about four minutes off the highway to get there, but it's well worth it to avoid the fast food chains near the interstate.

The menu offerings are few but all well-made and fresh. The bread is homemade, the orange juice is fresh-squeezed, and the lattes were great! We were very satisfied with the food.

The service was wonderful. The owners were extremely friendly and did the cooking themselves. It made our meals take a little more time to come out than a fast food restaurant, but that was a good thing since we all needed some time out of the car. The prices were extremely reasonable. Our family of four (two adults, two small children) ate forinclude hitch included three meals, three coffee drinks, and an orange juice.

For families with young children, they have a playroom! Our three-year-old was very happy to explore some new toys for 15 minutes while we waited for our meals.

We aren't Christian, but were not at all bothered by the softly playing praise music. After all, we were dining in the heartland :)

We are so happy that we stopped here and would definitely go again. For any traveler, Smoffees may be the best dining choice in western Kansas.

Reviewed 8 May 2012

We were on a long trip along I-70, and based on suggestions here, stopped at Smoffee's. A great choice. It has the perfect casual atmosphere, with locals that are on a first-name basis with the owners. We were immediately greeted, identified as travelers, and the owners pointed out the play room for our children. An excellent touch; they got to play while our lunch was being made.

My strawberry smoothie may be the best I've ever had -- way better than the chain stores offer. My wife, who is notoriously picky about such things, liked her mocha as well.

We had their "pockets" for lunch. The homemade bread was good. My meatballs were also good, though they were cold. I believe they were made in advance and reheated not quite thoroughly enough. My wife said the same about her sandwich. But don't let this minor nit keep you away; the food really was good, and I doubt you'll find better along this part of I-70.

Our requests to substitute a fruit for the chips were cheerfully met. We told the staff that our boys would split their grilled cheese sandwich, and they delivered them to our table already cut and on individual plates. A nice touch that few restaurants think of.

The play room was an area in the corner with toys. Perfect for kids to unwind during a long car trip.

In short, a good place to stop for lunch. Highly recommended.

1  Thank prairiecode