“Last time was good, this time was awesome!”

Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Concordia US 81
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Concordia
Goessel, ks
“Last time was good, this time was awesome!”
Reviewed 14 August 2013

I'm not sure what happened in the last few months but this was one of the best hotel stays I've had in a long time! Checked in on a Tuesday afternoon after a long drive in the rain and was met but two very young looking ladies at the front desk. Now my personal experience with young employees at virtually everywhere hasn't always been the best but these two were really wonderful employees! One was walking off somewhere but noticed the other lady on the phone so she quickly backtracked and cheerfully checked me in. She recognized me as a Rewards member and offered me water and a snack, even offering to search out some chocolate. My key cards were ready and my special request of "top floor away from elevator please" was met by putting me in the last room at the end of the hall. Fabulous!

The next morning I heard the housekeeping cart and stepped out to put a post in note on the door that I didn't need service because I didn't have a door hanger. The housekeeping employee was right there (possibly Whitney? She was the one who left the welcoming note in the room.) and was super friendly - handed me a hanger and wished me a great day.

I'm not sure if the breakfast helper was the same as last time but if not, this Manager has done it again because she was once again, the friendliest ever. The pool was nice and warm for relaxing, not freezing cold. My room was immaculately clean, very large and roomy, and the carpet throughout looked freshly installed.

I hated to leave and look forward to returning. Doesn't get much better than that when traveling.

Room Tip: Rooms on the front have some traffic noise but nothing that a sound machine or app won't drown o...
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Lisa H

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
Roanoke, Virginia
Reviewed 10 August 2013

We have been driving for a while and needed to get off the road, stop here and got a room. The room was nice and clean. We were given a ground floor room which was nice. There was very little noise so got a good nights sleep. I did not like the breakfast so we headed on down the road.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
York
Reviewed 30 July 2013

The location of this hotel on highway 81 is convenient, and there are food and shopping choices nearby. The staff is as friendly a staff as I've experienced in some time. The breakfast area is clean and large. The suite room with 2 beds and sofa was sufficient for 3 young men.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Todd F
Warsaw, Poland
Reviewed 30 July 2013

If you are looking for a hotel review in Concordia, Kansas you are likely in wind energy, ag, doing business with the county or the junior college or passing through on 81 on a long road north or south. Whatever your reason, this little HIE turned out to be a very resonably price, comfortable stop with the kids while I was showing them the "last west of 81 highway".

Very friendly front desk. Small indoor pool and jacuzzi. Not much for swimming due to size, but for a splash or relax it worked fine. Good size suite for about 130 USD with breakfast included. There aren't a load of dining options in Concordia, but there are a couple of bar/grills, several Tex Mex restaurants - including a fast food Taco John's and a Pizza Hut just across the highway. The Pizza Hut will walk your pizza over to your room....can't beat that.

If you are in town and have a few minutes, do check out the Opera House downtown and spend a coupld of bucks on main street. This town is doing better than most on the high plains. FYI - just north and west of town are two very small sites marking the location of a WWII German POW camp that was set in the fields there. Don't know that I will be back, but if I were I would certainly stay here out of the three choices I saw.

Room Tip: If you are there in summer, face west to not have the early monring sun.
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
Texas
Reviewed 30 June 2013

After a long day on the road, part of which was spent driving through some very bad weather, this Holiday inn Express was welcome relief. The desk clerk was very friendly and helpful. She gave us a room at the end of the hall where it was nice and quiet and recommended a Mexican restaurant in downtown Concordia that had great food. Our room was very clean and the beds were comfortable. There was a nice variety of food the next morning at breakfast. My husband was fascinated with the automatic pancake-making machine. This was the first time that we had seen one in our hotel stays. It has been a number of years since we have stayed at a Holiday Inn Express. We were very pleased with our stay and will be booking more stays at this hotel chain in the future.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
Kansas City, Missouri
Reviewed 27 May 2013

We stayed at the hotel over the Memorial Day weekend. We were recognized as HI Gold members at check-in, and the check-in experience was easy. Although this is the newest hotel in this area, it did not live up to my normal HI Express standards. I can best define the hotel as average. The hotel is starting to show some age over the last few years and it does not look like it has been updated since it's opening. There are marks and dings on the walls.

The room was good, standard HI Express standard. I will note that our rooms Air Conditioner acted like it had a piece of paper or a plastic bag stuck in it. It was very noisy during operation. The rest of the room was nice. Good TV, a decent amount of Channels, and the bathroom was good. The "sanitary" remote was an interesting thing to see. I had never seen one before!

The breakfast was a disappointment. Not based upon the quality and quantity of food, but just the fact that the breakfast area was clearly not ready for a capacity load. We had to wait several minutes to get in line for food, and we had to wait for a table, then for chairs to set and eat.

Overall, to us, the rate did not justify the experience, and I will drive on to Salina for my next stay. The hotel was a disappointment for the rate paid. It did not justify a $120/night rate for the hotel, but more of a $85/night hotel.

Room Tip: The west side of rooms are opposite a highway, at a speed reduced zone, so you will hear trucks usin...
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank HI-Gold-Member
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Concordia US 81, responded to this review, 15 June 2013
Dear HI-Gold-Member,

Thank you for being an IHG Rewards Gold member and for writing us a review. I am pleased that you have not encountered any issues at check in. However, I would like to apologize for any inconvenience the hotel conditions may have caused you. Rest assured that the issues you have raised about has been documented and will be forwarded to the appropriate departments for necessary actions. While we understand that your stay was not 100% satisfactory, we would hope that you would give us another chance to make your stay as best as it can be.

Janice A
Case Manager
IHGCare
tdmksg
Reviewed 14 May 2013

I stayed here for a business appointment in a small town near by. Concordia is a very small town, but is very easy to get in and out of due to great highways. The hotel itself is nice. The TV was large and offered a nice selection of channels. The bed was comfortable with plenty of pillows and was most importantly clean. The wifi connection was very good and I was able to stream HULU with no issues. I did not stay for the breakfast, but seemed to be standard stuff.
The only downside was it did seem a bit pricey for such a small town and the wall mounted heater/air conditioner was loud.
Bottom line ....I would rather pay a couple of dollars and know what I am getting. Overall nice property.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled on business
Also consider these accommodations in or near Concordia
Rodeway Inn
Super 8 Beloit
Super 8 Beloit
#1 of 1 in Beloit
Americas Best Value Inn Belleville

Been to Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Concordia US 81? Share your experiences!