“Pleasant, few touchups needed.”

Quality Inn & Suites
Ranked #8 of 15 Hotels in Emporia
MC, MO
“Pleasant, few touchups needed.”
Reviewed 13 July 2011

My husband spent some time working in Emporia and I was able to join him with our three children (10, 7 and 5). There was limited parking, but we found at least one space each time we needed to park. There were several shopping and dining options within a few blocks. The room was pleasant and having a fridge and microwave was handy. The breakfast was decent and seemed to be put out a few minutes early each day, however the breakfast staff could have been a little less standoffish. The pool/hot tub area would have been much more enjoyable if the bugs I asked the front desk staff to remove from the water had ever been swept up, but the kids didn't really want to keep walking around the perimeter where they had been dumped out and squashed and were concerned about more bugs they spotted floating in the water (apparently these bugs are not a hotel problem, but a problem throughout the town at this time), so we definitely could have spent more time swimming. The TV was a great diversion from the condition of the pool, so while the children enjoyed the kids channels, I was able to use the highspeed internet and experienced no problems with it. My husband plans to stay here for future work trips and we would recommend this hotel to friends and family.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
Omaha, ne
Reviewed 5 April 2011

I stayed at this hotel and at 10a.m. someone knocked at the door and before I could walk over to open it, the door came flying open and a man hotel employee (I assume
he was the cleaning person) walked in the door. Thank goodness we were already
dressed and ready for the day. I just looked at him and his reply was "just checking". I was so stunned I couldn't say a word. There was no reason for this to happen. The television was on lound enough that he had to know someone was in the room. Checkout was not until 12 noon. I reported it to the front desk and they were not shocked at all and they said they would "take care of it". After reading others reviews, I see this has happended here before and it has not been "taken care of". So if you stay at this hotel make sure you double lock the doors at all times and bring a baseball bat!

• Stayed April 2011, travelled with friends
2 Thank KarenOmaha55
Waco, Texas
Reviewed 12 November 2010

My husband is diabetic & must keep his insulin cool so we must stay in rooms that have fridges. Delighted to find out that all the rooms at Holiday Inn Express Hotel have fridges & microwaves. This is not the case at Comfort Inns where we usually stay where only the suites have these. We've usually avoided Holiday Inn Express because we assumed they were a lot more expensive than Comfort Inn. But this one was comparable in price and as nice or nicer than what we usually experience in our stays at Comfort Inn. We had a comfortable night & had an acceptable breakfast to get us started the next day. We will probably stay at Holiday Inn Expresses more in future.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank ShirlM
Ventura, California
Reviewed 25 October 2010

Probably the dirtiest Holiday Inn Express room I have ever stayed in. Tub/shower floor black and sticky. Only the center of the room carpet was vacuumed, food crumbs in corners and near walls. Coffee splashes on the walls around the sink. Mirror has water marks on it. Toilet is leaking. Nice enough room, it just needs maintenance and a thorough cleaning. This is the second night in a row we have stayed at a HIE where the facility was below the standards I normally encounter with the chain. I stay in HIE hotels frequently on the west coast. Is this a Midwest problem? Canceled my HIE reservations for the rest of this trip.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled as a couple

Travellers are raving about these Emporia hotels

Oklahoma
Reviewed 23 March 2010

Emporia is about halfway on a trip my wife and I take every couple of months. Many times we have stopped in this hotel to spend the night. Twice we have been caught in a snowstorm and dropped in to wait out the storm. Once it was 10:00 in the morning but they gave us a room for the rest of the day and night and only charged us for the one night. Everyone has always been helpful, courtious, and professional. The rooms have always been clean and the breakfast a good way to get us started the next morning. I expect we will stay there many more times in the future.

• Stayed February 2010, travelled as a couple
Dallas, TX
Reviewed 26 November 2009

We found the hotel while passing through on a T-Giving road trip. The price was just right for our budget, and my Holiday Inn frequent-stayer membership got us a free upgrade from a room to a suite. The room had a nice firm bed and a pull-out sofa for our five year old. It also had a microwave and small fridge. There are several restaurants in the area, a Wal-Mart Supercenter, and a stand-alone Starbucks essentially across the street. Oddly enough, we only saw one gas station close in the area, but it worked for us. The breakfast was awesome for a “hotel breakfast” (doughnuts, muffins, biscuits, gravy, scrambled eggs, sausage, milk, juice, etc, etc). Not sure why this place is getting mediocre reviews otherwise, but to-each-his-own. Maybe the suites are nicer than the regular rooms, but we didn’t see any other rooms, so have nothing to judge against. There was a decent looking indoor pool on the ground floor that was full of kids during our stay, but we didn’t do any swimming, so didn’t go inside that area. Our room WAS at the end of a hallway, across from the open stairwell, and every time someone entered or exited the building from the stairwell door, the sound reverberated up the stairwell and made everything in our room shudder. We just pulled the stairwell fire door closed and all was good. Free high-speed wireless internet was "open", and we were happy not to have to dicker around with pass-keys or "one time use cards" we have seen at other hotels.

• Stayed November 2009, travelled with family
Topeka, KS
Reviewed 20 November 2007

My girlfriend and I spent Sat. night in room 300 at this hotel on 11/17/07. Housekeeping knocked on the door at 9:00 a.m. on a Sunday. I informed them that we did not require service until check out. An hour later when I was down picking up a paper, a male entered the room with out knocking and surprised Carrie coming out of the shower. I brought this to managements attention and was told they "were sorry". This level of service is completely unacceptable and quite frankly, a bit frightening. We will no longer be patronizing this hotel chain and for those of you who do, make damn sure your door bar is engaged.
Troy Flora

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — Staff entering the room with notice or permission.
  • Stayed November 2007, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
5 Thank tflora