“Still nice & new”

Ranked #8 of 15 Hotels in Emporia
Lawrence, Kansas
“Still nice & new”
Reviewed 2 March 2014

Daughter, her friend & I were coming to ESU for Saturday a.m. Weather looked questionable, so I decided that we would stay Friday night. So glad we stayed here! The place is nice & clean, choice of soft and firm pillows in the room. Amenities in the room were not the normal cheap stuff you normally find. The continental breakfast was nice - I'm not a breakfast eater (juice & toast), but the girls got full. The only con I can find was that the bed was too hard (& I like a firm bed). I plan staying here again once the kid moves to Emporia.

Room Tip: We were on the 1st floor (next to the parking lot) near the street and never heard any traffic.
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank DeeS66046

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
Rockford, Minnesota
Reviewed 30 January 2014 via mobile

Clean. Very nice desk clerks. Walking distance to several restaurants. Nice pool. Typical, less-than-average-tasting breakfast. Very disappointed the web site said one price and the hotel wanted to charge us more than $20 more and finally compromised on $10 more.

• Stayed January 2014
1 Thank Leslee49
Waterloo, Iowa
Reviewed 2 January 2014

this place was not as awful as some of the reviews.
It has just been bought by another hotel chain . I forget which one. The room was clean and very inexpensive. The breakfast was poor unless you just wanted pastries . The scrambled eggs were really bad.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Kent M
Iowa
Reviewed 18 December 2013 via mobile

This Holiday Inn Express us the worst one I have stayed in. I am a Platinum club member. So, I travel quite a bit.

The lobby was dirty. This should have been my first clue as to the room condition. They cleaned it up some.

I should have moved straight away, but didn't. I won't make the same mistake again.

Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Velohog

Travellers are raving about these Emporia hotels

Oklahoma
Reviewed 1 December 2013 via mobile

This us not a good place to stay. We booked the hotel while driving through Missouri. It was quite late when we pulled in or we might have just looked for something else.

It was fully booked.

The trash cans just outside the door as you entered were full and running over. I had to wait quite some time for someone to check me in and then the bottom of the bathtub looked as though it had rust stains in it. I would have complained had it not been late and this was the last room

Breakfast was not bad, but will keep looking next time.

Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank don7614
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Quality Inn & Suites, responded to this review, 17 December 2013
Dear don7614,

Ben J
Case Manager
IHGCare
Kansas City, Kansas
Reviewed 20 August 2013

Our first room was supposed to be a two room suit. It was not a two room just a large one room with a sofa. Plus it wreaked of smoke. They moved us two another room but in the middle of the night we realized the just air setting was broke and it got very humid and uncomfortable. We stuck it out, I was just to darn tired to move again. The bathroom had a bad urine smell. I will not be visiting this hotel ever again. I wish Emporia had a higher end hotel too make our visits to Emporia State nicer.

Room Tip: Ask to see room first, check air conditioner plus fresh air setting.
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Quality Inn & Suites, responded to this review, 4 September 2013
Dear dspind01,

Thank you for taking the time to review our property. We give the utmost importance to our guest comments as they help us improve, and continually provide the best guest experience possible. I am sorry our hotel did not live up to your expectations and regret that you were not satisfied with the condition of the room you received. Though I would prefer you had a better experience at our hotel, I would like to thank you for sharing your thoughts and I hope you will give us the opportunity to serve you again in the future.

Jaime W
Case Manager
IHGCare
Iowa City, Iowa
Reviewed 15 June 2013

We really enjoyed our stay at this property for many reasons. It had the quality we expect from the Holiday Inn chain, priced right, great location off the interstate and many good restaurants very close by. The front desk staff was friendly and the breakfast not too bad either. The rooms were clean, comfortable and quiet. We would stay there again if in the area or just passing through.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with family