“Just ok”

Comfort Inn Emporia
Ranked #3 of 15 Hotels in Emporia
Reviewed 10 March 2013

Well, it was an interesting stay. My husband and I were here for one night, on a cross country trip. I will start with the positives. We did have a good night's sleep here. The bed was comfortable, and the room was clean. The staff was competent and friendly. There were enough electrical outlets in the bedroom.

The cons: As other reviewers have stated, there was no elevator. Odd. There was supposedly wireless Internet throughout the hotel, but the only place it worked was in the lobby, not in our room. We had no signal at all, which was especially inconvenient because bad weather was predicted, and we needed to plan our next day's route. The signal was very weak even in the breakfast area.

The worst part of this stay was the bathroom. The sink and counter is in the bedroom. Nothing in the bathroom but the shower and toilet, and a wire rack over the toilet (ick) where the towels were hung. The towels were small and thin, and there was absolutely no place to even put down your glasses in the bathroom except on the back of the toilet (again, ick.)
The shower rod was broken, and was propped up, maybe by a previous guest, with a folded newspaper. There was no electric outlet in the bathroom.

The hair dryer, in the bedroom, had a switch that had to be held down to run the dryer. Really? Does anyone walk away and leave a hair dryer running?

Breakfast was just ok. Eggs were cold and dried out, but the staff did replenish them before we left.

This wasn't an awful stay, but we won't be back. Some TLC is needed here.

Stayed: March 2013

Reviewed 24 February 2013

I stayed at this hotel and have once a year for the last 3 years because of an annual Board Meeting. Last year hotel was decent. Wow! This year we arrived to a lot that was NOT cleared of snow and very little work had been done on it even though the snow had been 3 days prior. Every other buisness we visited was cleared. Second off we go to our room after check in and the door was cracked half way open with the safety lock keeping the door open. Third off we heard people slamming doors all night long. Shower was really in need of updating and tv was really outdated. I paid $126 after taxes and etc. I have never been to a worse comfort inn and I'm not that picky. Have paid half the price at other places and had a much better stay. This hotel needs updated and needs someone not to make EXCUSES on Trip Advisor replies but to stand up and have a hotel worthy of the Choice Hotel name.

Stayed: February 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank John L
Reviewed 24 February 2013

From uncaring staff to no elevator to paper thin walls it was my first hotel on an 8 day trip, and at least I can say that once I left this place it only got better from here. I try not to judge the whole town on this place. The people at the Pizza Hut next door as well as the nearby Wal-Mart were friendly and helpful at least! But no way would I ever stay at this place again.

Room Tip: I didn't sleep much because of the thin walls, if you are a deep sleeper maybe this won't ma...
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank primalclaws1974
Reviewed 31 January 2013 via mobile

The lady that checked us in was very professional and super nice. I can not say enough good things about the staff!! The room was clean, large and comfortable. There was an older television, however it worked perfect. This was a great room for the price.

• Stayed: January 2013
1  Thank Travels201
Reviewed 1 January 2013

Multi-level hotels without elevators make no sense to me. We just needed a place to lay our heads on a long road trip between the Twin Cities & Houston. We were given a room on the second floor which initially didn't seem like a big deal ... until we were told there was no elevator. We had coolers and suitcases to haul inside, and we had to carry all those items up a flight of about 20 steps to the second floor! In addition, the breakfast area was extremely tiny and wasn't well stocked at all. The majority of the time we were in the breakfast "nook", the scrambled egg container was empty and the only milk available was whole milk. We drink skim and 1% (2% would have been fine in a pinch). When I asked the lady in the kitchen area if whole milk was all they had, she said yes and then gave me a sad story about how she had been off work for some number of days and when she got back into work, the kitchen was out of many items because somebody else hadn't done what they were supposed to have done while she was off work. OK - I didn't need to hear all that! A customer shouldn't have to listen to backroom bickering or fingerpointing - that just added to my negative opinion of this hotel. Later, one of the hotel employees overheard me make a statement about the inconvenience of no elevator and how that was really annoying and she stated "I know it's annoying. And our breakfast area needs to be expanded. This hotel needs renovations. They were supposed to have done them a while ago ...". Then, before we vacated our room, the toilet ended up not flushing properly. So I informed the lady at the front desk during checkout that our toilet was stopped up, to which she gave an exasperated sigh. When I asked her if there was a problem, she stated the maintenance person had been out for a while so she didn't seem to know how they were going to fix the toilet. This hotel seems to have staffing and inventory problems to say the least. We wouldn't stay here again.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled with family
Hillary R, General Manager at Comfort Inn Emporia, responded to this reviewResponded 15 January 2013

I was very upset to hear about the stay that the guest above had at our Hotel when first reading this review. I couldnt believe that as hard as this hotel and its employees had worked to raise our reviews as well as just the overall feel here at the Comfort Inn, it would be so easily forgotten and thrown aside. After pulling my employees together to show them the review and discuss the issues at hand, more was brought to light. They all knew exactly who the guest was when I got out even just the first sentence of such review. The guest above had proudly voiced upon check in that she had just been kicked out of the hotel across the street for causing a scene, and when she would not gracefully leave, she was then escorted out by personnel but not before they had to threaten her with the law enforcement agency being called. In some ways I wish that my staff would have turned the guest away knowing that a scene had been caused at another establishment, but we do try not to turn anyone away so they did the best that they could. We realize that some things can really upset guests, and we do the best here at the Comfort Inn to make you all happy with what means we have- but there are also guests that nothing will please them no matter how hard we try. Especially if they have already had a bad experience somewhere else immediately preceeding checking in with us. I have tried to dispute this review, but according to TripAdvisor it does meet the guidelines set forward. So i beg of anyone reading this to understand that some people can just be unhappy people period, and wish to bash on others. Give us the opportunity to prove the COMPLETE opposite of what the woman above claims. And I also beg of tripadvisor to understand that while we are a business and not necessarily a person...this review still feels like an extreme case of defamation of character. We pride ourselves in how we have raised our reviews in TRIPADVISOR and have brought forth many new guests to the site.....and to allow a guest to bash The Comfort Inn of Emporia Kansas so blatantly is very upsetting to the entire staff. Once again, please give us the chance to show you the REAL US.

Reviewed 3 December 2012

We needed a place to rest our heads and have a clean room. This hotel fit the bill very well! The food was very good at breakfast and the staff was very friendly! The bed was very comfortable, as well. We had a great night of sleep before we had to get on the road again.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled on business
Hillary R, General Manager at Comfort Inn Emporia, responded to this reviewResponded 6 December 2012

Thank you so much for your kind words regarding your stay here. We truly aim to please our guests, but sometimes we are unsure how well we did at that job! All staff see the reviews, and I think I speak for all of us, when I say that it makes us VERY happy to know that your stay was enjoyable. Please feel free to come visit again, and if there's anything I can do for you...do not hesitate to call me personally!! Wishing you all the best, and once again-- Thank you so much!!

Reviewed 28 November 2012

We were driving from AZ to IL and found the Comfort Inn via another hotel that didn't except pets.
We and our small dog were welcomed with open arms. In the morning the desk clerk came and got to know him. She even held his lease while I went in to get coffee. Very happy with the pet friendliest of this hotel and would stay again if in the area. Wished they had an elevator. Hard going up and down with a dog and no elevator,

Room Tip: If you have a dog request first floor.
  • Stayed: November 2012, travelled with family
Hillary R, General Manager at Comfort Inn Emporia, responded to this reviewResponded 3 December 2012

Thank you so much for your kind words. We here at the Comfort Inn do try to make you feel right at home, and we show the same respect to our little furry guests too. We are awaiting the beginning of our renovation, which will provide us with that elevator and we couldn't be more excited about it! It will alleviate some issues for a lot of our guests. Until then, please do not hesitate to contact us and let us know you're coming and we will do our best to get you in a ground floor room. We hope to see you again soon!!