“Average Fairfield Inn”

Ranked #7 of 15 Hotels in Emporia
Bowie
“Average Fairfield Inn”
Reviewed 7 September 2012

This Fairfield Inn is not one of the newer ones, but the large room was clean, comfortable, and well appointed with fridge, microwave, coffeemaker, comfortable couch and decent bedding. The ac hadn't thermostat making it hard to adjust. The room attendant was new, but friendly, efficient and thorough. The room was quiet with blackout curtains.

The staff downstairs was another story. The hotel was fully booked with a multi-year reunion and a wedding scheduled that weekend in Emporia. The desk staff was inadequate, the desk was often unmanned and on checkout, I had to wait until a staff member came in from a break outside with several other employees. The breakfast room was a disaster. The first morning, the juice dispensers and coffee carafes were empty an hour before the service ended and the attendant did little to remedy it. There was no bread for toast, no fresh fruit except for a few apples and the second morning was worse with even the hot water carafe empty and the same annoyed response from the attendant. Speaking to the employee at the desk about the situation did no good. Our experience was negatively impacted by these poorly trained, discourteous employees and we will not return. Marriott was sent a review of these hotel deficiencies so they can be addressed.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
Berkeley, California
Reviewed 1 September 2012

I stayed here for four nights in late August. The air condition worked well, the bed was comfortable, and I slept well. The desk and chair were comfortable and provided a good working space. The room also had a sofa, small dining table, refrigerator, & microwave. The staff was friendly and competent. I had also stayed there in September 2011 and had a similarly acceptable experience. There is no fitness equipment in the hotel, but Emporia Fitness Center is a mile away and they only charge $5.50 for a day pass. I would use this hotel again.

Oklahoma
Reviewed 17 August 2012

I needed a room for the night as I was passing through and this property had the right combination of location and price. There are several good places to eat within walking distance (Montana Mike's is 50 yards away). I agree with some of the other posters about the property needing an update. It was adequate but nothing special. The breakfast is typical Fairfield (exactly the same as a Fairfield in Iowa the night before) so if you want a large breakfast to start your day I suggest you don't count on the free one there. The staff was relatively efficient. I had a reservation but I had to wait while the clerk convinced the person checking in when I arrived to join the Marriott points club and then explain every point and fill in all the blanks while I waited. Not a great start but I have had to wait 10 minutes to check in before. Check out was very efficient as my invoice was waiting for me in a sealed envelope when I got up.
Overall not a bad stay for the price I received.

Fort Worth, Texas
Reviewed 16 August 2012

This motel is located near 4 places to eat and a Walmart. Easy to find off highway 35. The continental breakfast is just ok, with Jimmy Dean breakfast sandwiches as the hot item. Coffee is good. THe price(we paid $75.00 for two beds) is very good, but this one is just not up to the standards of Fairfield Inns, only the bedding seemed on par.

Texas
Reviewed 30 July 2012

We just stayed at this Fairfield for a few nights last week. It is comparable to another Fairfield where we stay in another state. We didn't have the chlorine smell previously mentioned (and were on the first floor). The breakfast was good and had a nice selection of easy breakfast foods. The only issue we had was with the toilet not flushing well (had the same problem at the same motel two years ago). Other than those needing an update, we had no issues. The staff was super and very cordial! We would stay there again if in the area!

Also, if you stay here, Montana Mike's (steak house), Applebee's, Pizza Ranch (pizza & chicken buffet...good!), Golden Corral, and Pizza Hut Wing Street are all across the street or parking lot. Starbucks is also right next door. The location is perfect!

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
Winnipeg, Canada
Reviewed 6 March 2012

Reading the previous reviews, it sounds as if we stayed at a totally different Fairfield Inn. My wife and I found the hotel to be clean and it had no bad odor at all. The breakfast included the Jimmy Dean type bacon & egg and sausage & egg sandwiches which you heat in the microwave along with a choice of cereals etc. The staff was quite pleasant and our room was what we we had reserved.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
Emporia, Kansas
Reviewed 12 January 2012

I travel 90% of the year for work and marriot properties were always my first choice until I stayed here. Rooms are dirty, bathrooms disgusting and the hallways smell of raw sewage.I will never stay at this hotel again. Marriott corporate needs to visit this place and I am sure they will agree. "Shut it down and renovate it or we are pulling our endorsement." I have never written a review before, but I had to share this unpleasent stay with my fellow travelers.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank S K

Travellers are raving about these Emporia hotels