“High Standars, great staff, great food”

The Seven Stars Inn
Price range: US$9 - US$32
Cuisines: British
Good for: Romantic
Dining options: Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Description: A warm welcome and great food awaits at this traditional thatched Wiltshire Inn!
Reviewed 28 July 2014

I've been lucky enough to visit this pub several times in the last month after a gap of 3 years. My older memories of the pub are so good that I cannot publish them here, suffice to say I recall a dire hangover, a great bunch of regulars, copious booze and excellent food. The room I stays in was rather wonderful too.

But to the every day traveller seeking lodgings and sustenance, or for the family seeking a great place to eat, don't be put off. The pub caters for locals and visitors alike. It has bags of character around the fine bar, from a little back room, to an extensive dining room. The menu changes daily. Clearly the chef knows what he is doing because the presentation and quality of the 2 male I have enjoyed there have been great. Tasty, wholesome, adventurous and sensibly priced.

Their house red works really well, beer is good too. The front of house staff are welcoming and friendly. Garden is nice, with a smoking area under the porch at the rear for those whose vice requires.

The only thing I can fault the pub on is that there are not enough hours in the day to enjoy it more.

Well done to the owners. An absolute gem in the local and wider area, unrivalled too.

1  Thank Gordon L

Reviewed 28 July 2014

For the second year we were able to dine here and once again it was wonderfull. Apart from an overloaded car park everything went very smooth. A nice variation of gins with the corresponding tonics. Very good burgers with tine chips and a lot of vegetables. Well served wine within reasonable price limits.
Well worth a detour.

Reviewed 28 July 2014

Our first visit to this country pub in a remote, rural setting. We drove from Salisbury (37 minutes) through charming Wiltshire countryside and arranged to meet some friends there who were coming from Marlborough (7 miles). We had drinks at one of many tables outside on the lawn. Despite the number of cars parked around the pub (there is plenty of room) on this Saturday evening, the pub never felt full (indoors or out). It has many spaces which combine to provide loads of seating area, without feeling like an industrial operation. The warmth of the evening persuaded us to forego our reserved table indoors and continue with dinner outside. The service was very quick and friendly from a well-drilled team of smiling staff. Chicken liver pate was excellent, as was my rump of lamb.But I was envious of our friend's bavette of steak with pesto pie, which looked delicious. We retired for puddings (passion fruit cream was the highlight) indoors, on two very comfy sofas by the fireplace, where we had coffee as well. The bill was about £20 per head to include pre-dinner drinks and a carafe of very good claret (£19). The landlord, Lincoln Goodwin, runs a tight and efficient ship (he's ex-Navy) and they made us feel very welcome indeed despite serving over 200 plates to around 80 covers that night, as he explained.

This is a successful country pub firing on all cylinders. We shall return.

Reviewed 21 July 2014

Brilliant food, brilliant chef, brilliant publican, a winning combination. The special menu changes daily using fresh, seasonal ingredients. This is not just a place to have a drink it is a place to experience great country food.

Reviewed 19 July 2014

I ended up staying at the Seven Stars completely by accident... and absolutely fell in love; with the menu, the location, the atmosphere, and my room! The Chef and Owners are just amazing and delightful people. I was thrilled to talk about their vision of sustainability, delicious food, and hear their passion. I will be returning again and again.

I enjoyed an amazing dinner, an equally delicious breakfast and one of the best night's sleep I've had in a while. (: