“Lovely house perfect host!!”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Penclawdd
The Old Manse B & B
Ranked #2 of 3 Penclawdd B&B and Inns
Great Yarmouth, United Kingdom
“Lovely house perfect host!!”
Reviewed 16 June 2013

We have recently stayed two nights with Katie at the Old Manse, after a long drive we were made very welcome by are host who treated us to tea and cakes which we all enjoyed sitting in Katie's beautiful cottage garden, perfect in the warm sunshine!!. The room, overlooking the front garden was very comfortable and spacious, and the sherry was much appricated especially by my wife!!. Breakfast was served in the lovely dinning room overlooking the flower filled garden,The cooked breakfast was exellent followed by toast and Katie's home made preserves, and plenty of tea. Our host always took time for a chat in the morning asking our plans for the day helping and suggesting places to visit. We had a very pleasant stay with Katie at The Old Manse and would thoroughly recommend it to anyone visiting this beautiful area.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
KatieB01792, Owner at The Old Manse B & B, responded to this review, 3 July 2013
I'm glad you enjoyed your stay. I appreciated your visit in two ways. Firstly you were so considerate - helping me with carrying items as I had just broken a bone in my foot. Secondly I learnt about some wildlife of Gower that was new to me, and that I shall be looking for soon, thanks to your wide knowledge! I hope to see you again. Katie

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
Bromsgrove, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 May 2013

We stayed just one night over the Bank Holiday weekend.
When we arrived Katie made us very welcome, serving tea in the garden with yummy cake. So pleasant to sit out in the sunshine.
The room and ensuite bathroom were very well appointed and comfortable. The sherry mentioned by other visitors was most welcome! Katie had plenty of suggestions for places to eat on a Sunday night, though we should have checked how far away the Chinese restaurant was before we tried to walk there! (A mile and three quarters - we walked a mile and a quarter then gave up and walked back.) Katie checked that they were open and booked us in. We then drove to it.
Breakfast was good, plenty of tea and coffee and the full cooked breakfast was tailored to our separate likes. It was nice to chat with the other guests and Katie over breakfast - far better than some anonymous hotel dining room.
The home made marmalade was delicious, so much so that we bought a pot to take with us. We also bought some necklaces,hand made by Katie.
We thoroughly enjoyed our brief stay, and we strongly recommend The Old Manse.

Room Tip: We found the double with en suite very comfortable.
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
Thank you for your appreciation, I hope you enjoyed the marmalade (I haven't tried Lord Randall's Pudding yet)). I'm glad you enjoyed your brief stay with me, and sorry that I was already booked for the other nights you wanted. I always enjoy the breakfast chat, and tea in the garden whenever possible, so I'm glad you did too.
Chevron
Reviewed 26 May 2013

Coming from Belgium for 3 days of walking through the Gower peninsula, we found the best place to be in the Old Manse thanks to Katie, her kindness, her open-mindedness and her ... breakfast.
Completely soaked after one long walking, along the coast by strong winds and rains she also helped us to dry our clothes in her kitchen: very much appreciated.
A nice house well placed on the peninsula, beautiful rooms and spacious bathroom, what else to dream of?
Thanks very much Katie

Martine, Alain & Stephane

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with family
Thank you for your review Alain; it was a pleasure having your family to stay, and chatting to you - your English is excellent (so I didn't get the chance to speak French this time!). I never mind drying clothes if guests happen to get wet, and love people to see the best of Gower by walking if possible.
Birmingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 May 2013

Excellent stay with very relaxed ambiance - Katie made us feel so welcome and nothing was too much trouble.
Room was excellent and great breakfast. Would recommend highly - ask for the double room with ensuite.

Room Tip: Ask for the ensuite double room
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
KatieB01792, Owner at The Old Manse B & B, responded to this review, 10 May 2013
Thank you, I am glad you enjoyed your stay, and hope you enjoyed the marmalade and earrings.
plymouth
Reviewed 8 May 2013

We had a lovely 3 night break in Superhostess Katie’s cosy home, were made extremely welcome, looked after and served delicious breakfasts. Katie knows about attention to detail, is very friendly, and makes you feel like friends for years. All questions answered, all little requests granted, and service with a smile that is actually meant.
A nice room with a very comfy bed, a lovely modern ensuite (or bathroom) with a great shower, homemade biccies and cake, - just what you want after (of before) a full day’s walking along Gower’s beautiful coastline or across its sheep-dotted fields.
You will feel instantly at home!

• Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
Thanks Irena, I have to say my guests do feel like friends very quickly. I hope you got some good photos from all your walking, and that the cat photos came out well!
Brockenhurst
Reviewed 4 May 2013

We stayed at the Old Manse for 3 nights to explore the Gower Peninsula. It is in a lovely house full of character and we could not fault the accomodation, we had the double on-suite room which is a good size and equipped with everything we required, even sherry in the room. The breakfast was superb and there was more than we could manage every morning and it beats most hotel breakfasts. I needed more time really to try all the home made marmalades etc. Our host was helpful and gave us advice for the local pubs for evening dinner and there are plenty of good ones to choose from. My wife came home after purchasing home crafted jewellery and yet more plants for the garden, I managed a large jar of marmalade. Highly Recommended.

Room Tip: The double on-suite room has a front view out to the estuary.
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
Thank you Janet and John, it was lovely to have you to stay and a joy to have a gardener to visit!
It was also great to have a chat over a glass of wine! I enjoyed seeing you go down the drive for a stroll along the estuary before breakfast to spot some birds too. See you again I hope.
London
Reviewed 1 May 2013

Stayed end of March for two days of the very cold Easter break in the front single room. Shared the lovely large bathroom with my friend who had the double room (he got there before me!). I think the policy is that the two rooms that share the bathroom are let to friends/family, so no sharing with strangers. Room and bathroom nice and warm, clean and well equipped - good bath and excellent shower. Felt very much at home. Breakfasts good, fruits, yoghurt, toast, tea, good cooked choices - all good quality stuff, and an open fire to keep us warm. Tea and coffee and homemade biscuits on arrival. Sherry in the room. We were given slices of homemade cake to take on our walk. You can't get much better than this so no hesitation in recommending The Old Manse. Penclawdd is a friendly place except when you stick to the speed limit on the estuary road through town - but maybe those overtaking me were other tourists?

• Stayed March 2013, travelled with friends
Thanks Nigel. I'm glad you enjoyed your stay - in your visitor comment you wrote " I can honestly say you are in the top echelon! " which I thought was lovely.
You are right about no bathroom sharing - I only let the single room if family or friends are in the double that shares the bathroom (which is huge!). I hope you can make it back sometime for more walking or with your family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Penclawdd
Shoreline
#1 of 3 in Penclawdd
King's Head Inn
King's Head Inn
#1 of 5 in Llangennith

Been to The Old Manse B & B? Share your experiences!