“Good Breakfast”

Hampton Inn Garden City
Ranked #2 of 16 Hotels in Garden City
Reviewed 6 January 2014

I stayed here while on a hunting trip in December. The breakfast was quite good, especially considering it was free. They serve everything from Belgian waffles, omelets, oatmeal, fruit, etc. The room was more than sufficient. I never tried out the pool or gym. The lobby area where breakfast was served was nice and roomy. There were plenty of restaurants near by to eat at, as well as Wal Mart for anything you may have forgotten.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank benrud3

Reviewed 20 December 2013 via mobile

This Hampton inn is always clean, they have friendly staff, and great stay as always. I really like the new scramble eggs and the evening meal/snack the offer. Comparing to most Hamptons- they only offer cookies...... Will stay here again :)

Stayed: December 2013
Reviewed 19 December 2013

We have stayed at this hotel twice, and once was fine the staff were friendly, and service was good. The second time, broken beer bottles in the parking lot, service was slightly above fine, problems with reservation, and there was an odor of spilled beer in the elevator. So be wary if choosing this hotel to stay at.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled on business
2  Thank Dallas H
Reviewed 12 December 2013

Very noisy in the morning. Housekeeping door kept slamming shut innumerable times. The clock was wrong and it took me some time to try to reset it and I just gave up. Friendly front office staff. The breakfast was decent and it was nice to have something different for two different breakfasts.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Anita R
Reviewed 2 December 2013

We come to Garden City once per year to see family. This is the best Hotel in town and we have tried many of the others. Upon arrival we did not receive the normal welcome, not like our previous stays. This stay was free since we used some of our Honors points. Usually we are thanked for our business and made to feel welcome. All I heard from the person on duty was to "sign here" and receive my room keys along with the time for the breakfast service.

Here are a few needed adjustments:

1. Follow the company standards for check-in
2. Shortly after check-in we stopped to get hot beverages. I looked for honey to put in my tea. There was none at the service bar so I walked to the back of the room where the breakfast area was and looked but none was available. My wife asked the person at the counter and he said, "we don't have any, maybe tomorrow at breakfast." No attempt was made to provide customer service.
3. All hot items in the breakfast were lukewarm at best. 135 degrees is the MINIMUM temp required by law for any hot item in a buffet service. I watched the staff heat everything in a microwave and never once used a temp gauge. With this kind of food quality, what stops people from walking another 100 yards to IHOP?
4. Departure check out needs improvement. All we heard was "Thanks." Here is your chance to survey the public eye to eye. I suggest thanking them for the business in view of all the nearby competition and to ask about the stay. "I see you have stayed with us before. How does this location compare to some of our other locations? What can you suggest that can help us improve?"

For travelers to become loyal to the brand, we need to experience the kind of customer service that others are not willing to provide. For us, this trip was lacking in any type of customer service skills. To give an honest comparison I refer you to the Palestine, TX Hampton Inn. When I arrive I am called by name and always hear the something like: "We are very happy that you chose to stay with us again. Your room is ready so let's get you checked in right away." They ask about our travel and assure us that the room will help us to relax and have a good night's sleep. Those are little things really, but loyalty is built on the things no one else does. The Hotel can be perfect but if the staff makes little effort, if the manager doesn't ensure all of the standards and expectations are being met by audits and training, then this location creates a less than average experience for guests.

It's up to you. What reputation do you want? Nothing special or WOW? You have my mobile number on file if you want to discuss this further. Thanks.

Room Tip: Odd numbered rooms face the back of the hotel. Even numbers face the front. There is an IHOP resta...
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank PAUL L
Reviewed 19 November 2013

As usual, our stay with Hampton Inns was quite stressfree and comfortable. We've stayed with Hampton in Oklahoma and Texas and now Kansas. It's nice to see that so many business people use this hotel, as well. That means a lot for casual travellers like us. Thanks

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Ronald K
Reviewed 2 November 2013

Our first hotel in the US and a great room. Adjusting to the time zone and the room with a sofa came in very handy for those of us padding around in the early hours. The hot tub was way too hot for me, felt a bit faint when I got out after only a few minutes. Lots of equipment in there for those not able to access independently. Breakfast was everything I expected, except for the throw away plates, cutlery etc. I suppose this is a sign of the times.

Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends