“Great place to stay”

Ranked #9 of 15 Hotels in Garden City
Waterville
“Great place to stay”
Reviewed 17 July 2013

We stayed in rooms 107 and 110 the first week of July 2013. I requested a room with a recliner and they accomodated us. The rooms were clean and quiet. Whenever we go this way to Western Kansas, we will always stay at this motel! Yes, there might be a smell outside, but I don't know what you expect when you are in cattle country! Thanks for the great stay--I wish all hotels were like this!!!!

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
Grafenwohr, Germany
Reviewed 11 July 2013

The hotel itself is nothing special, but the price cannot be beat. The rooms were clean (stayed in two different rooms), each with a micro and small fridge. I did not have a problem with the curtains not being thick enough like others have mentioned. The continental breakfast was not much, just some fruit and cereal, and the pool looked gross so we did not swim. Of course Garden City has a humongous outdoor pool for $1 per person so it wasn't a big deal. We stayed there for $76 a night.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 18 June 2013

Rm 112 had lots of hair all over the floor. I asked for it to be vacumed but instead the switched me to rm 112. My other family was put into rm 223 in which had two small children. The customer service desk called and complained in which the room was right above them. I asked to move them to the lower room of 118 that I was original in but vacum the bathroom. Would not make the change. Therefor the noise will continue since the child is 5 years of age and here is the bad review. The ice machine does not work along with the soda machine empty. No elevator for second floor guess and no recliner in room that was said to be in rm. Also the service desk lady and so called manager was extremly rude!! My review would actually be zeros in all areas since the do not meet the sevice of their guest. This review also comes from a manager with years of experince!!

• Stayed June 2013
Pueblo, Colorado
Reviewed 10 May 2013

Although the room was large and the bed comfortable, the curtains were flimsy and couldn't be closed plus, thin allowing outside lights to shine through. I can understand why "Mixed Bag" (review) complained about the noise. If other guests allow their door to slam shut it's not only loud but also shakes the walls. Be careful of what you say in your room because the adjourning room can hear most of what you say. Breakfast was suppose to be at 6 a.m. At 6:10 there were no lights, no coffee, and, no one in sight. at 6:20 a.m. lights were on, coffee being made, rolls set out, cereal and milk but never did see anyone. Not even at the desk for check out. I am not really sure how to rate this motel. I thought it was expensive for what you got but perhaps it's the going rate for Garden City. If so, I am not sure I'd stay here again.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
Augusta, Georgia
Reviewed 28 January 2013

stayed in this motel a couple of nights in Nov and really liked the room and staff. We asked for a handicapped room in order to have a walk in shower and it was located near the lobby, ice machine, computer, and w/d, so well pleased. Had to come back into town this past weekend, booked the same room a week and a half ago for 2 nights. Came to check in was told the rooms were being remodeled we would be put upstairs for the same price. I asked for a discount since their error, and was said they would be unable to do that. We left went to a motel down the street for almost $20 a night cheaper and was very content.

Room Tip: it is a lobby entry motel so try to get a room near the front, back, or side doors for easy access t...
  • Stayed January 2013, travelled with family
Overland Park, Kansas
Reviewed 5 January 2013

I used to stay here all the time and got fed up because it's so hard to get any sleep. The place where I usually stay is full this week, so I'm back here at the Garden City Inn. This is night #2 of a 5-night stay...but I'm going to bail out and go stay somewhere else first thing in the morning. I will tell you why.

This hotel has interior halls. Sounds reverberate. If you stay on the bottom floor, the people above you will sound like they all have four feet each...and they seem to dance the mamba half the night. You'll think the ceiling is coming down. Unless you sleep like a log, you will not be able to sleep if someone is in the room above you.
Since I decided to give this place another try after a two-year absence, I requested a room on the second floor so I wouldn't be disturbed by footsteps. Au contraire. The people next door sounded like they were having football practice. I'm not sure if this place just has no insulation or if they just attract awful hotel guests...but my gosh, it's awful. Bang bang bang, pound, pound, pound. And, the slamming doors...hours and hours of slamming doors.
This morning, someone checked in to the room on the other side of me at 7am....and for a half hour, they were coming and going and slamming the door each time. Glad I was already awake.
I am cognizant of other guests and I close my hotel door quietly, regardless of the time of day. It's after midnight right now, and all up and down the interior hall, doors keep slamming. And slamming. I wish other people would be sensitive to the other hotel guests.

So, the upper floor in this hotel has its issues, too, and being up here has not made the Garden City Inn any better for getting a good night's sleep.

Also, there is no smoke alarm in this room (Room 206). The wires are hanging from the celing. The bathroom light is burned out. The ironing board is so wobbly, it almost fell over as I was trying to iron.
If not for the unacceptable noise level in this hotel, it would otherwise be fine. The room is decently sized; they provide a coffee maker, a frig, a microwave, a hair dryer, an iron and ironing board (albeit, rickety); plus, shampoo, lotion, toothbrush, shower caps and makeup remover pads. The bed is comfy enough and the tv remote works. There is an easy chair and a desk with chair, as well as a table with two chairs.
Their breakfast is on the lean side....fruit, dry cereal, bread (for toast) and muffins. Not much to offer for someone who would like to eat healthy.
If people continue to check in throughout the night, I doubt I will get much sleep. If noise is not an issue for you, you will probably not have any problems. I am quite sensitive to noise which is why I stopped staying here. I'd forgotten just how bad the noise here is.

Room Tip: The noise from 5 Points (the intersection where this hotel sits) can be kind of loud. I requested a...
  • Stayed January 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank Julie D
Colorado
Reviewed 19 November 2012

The rooms were clean, had comfortable beds, and I liked how it had a recliner. The room had both a microwave and a fridge, which is great because some hotels do not have both. The clerk at the front desk was nice and friendly. The price was great except for their high tax rate. The only thing wrong was the pool which looked like maybe they were taking out all the water because it was almost empty? Great location because you are close to almost everything.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled with family