“Not the Newest in Town, But I've Stayed in Worse”

New Sunflower Inn & Suites
Ranked #16 of 16 Hotels in Garden City
Reviewed 10 August 2009

I spent two comfortable nights in the Rodeway Wheat Lands. The property is a little older and maybe nothing special, but it was clean and comfortable and everything worked. One caveat: they DO have high speed Internet, but it isn't wireless so bring a network cable.

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled on business

Reviewed 3 February 2009

Older motel yet quite clean. Walls are indeed thin. Comp breakfast was fair. Compared to other costly choices in this town it was a good choice and I will return.

• Stayed: January 2009, travelled on business
Reviewed 9 March 2008

I was in town for a dog show. The room seemed to be clean and it was close to the fairgrounds. Other than that, it had problems.

The walls were extraordinarily thin, and concrete. I had a headboard banger with a screamer in one room and a group of people in another room who not only talked so loudly I could tell you details of their conversation, but they also left their tv on all night. This was after I arrived late (2 am) after a very long drive, and having a very early ring time. The second night wasn't bad and was relatively quiet.

My plumbing didn't drip, in fact, the shower head looked rather new. There was a step just outside the room that I hadn't noticed at the aforementioned 2 in the morning. The first morning to let the dog out I took quite a tumble and have screwed my knees up.

They say they have high speed internet, which is true, however, it is on the opposite side of the room from the desk so it was not very useful.

I asked for a 6:30 wakeup call and thankfully I set some backups because my phone rang at 7:30. They hadn't accounted for daylight savings.

The staff was friendly and as I said the room was clean and very close the fairgrounds, though in a very questionable neighborhood. It was also cheap, but next time, I may spend a few extra dollars and stay at the other Best Western.

• Stayed: March 2008, travelled solo
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Reviewed 22 June 2007

Nice pool, very relaxed atmospere. It seemed that the newer Best Western a little farther out of town was the higher priority of the chain. But the room was clean and the other guests were quiet and considerate. Breakfast was very good and was included with the room rate. Sadly like many towns on the Great Plains many surrounding businesses were boarded up and many houses in the neighborhood were abandoned.

• Stayed: June 2007, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Reviewed 4 July 2005

Spent a night at the Wheat Lands for a business trip. This was probably a nice hotel about 25 years ago, but there's been little done in the way of maintenance and upgrades. It looks like the owners bought up all of the little motels in this part of town and combined them into one property, as there are at least five (maybe more but I stopped counting at that point) different buildings on both sides of a busy local highway. My room was done up in 1980 decor and had a very musty odor. I suspect the problem lived in the air conditioning unit and would have been cured with a gallon of bleach. The bathroom was clean but the shower valve leaked. Thankfully I was able to shut the bathroom door so I didn't have to listen to the water run all night.

Unfortunately fifty bucks doesn't seem to buy very much these days. Given a little maintenance on the plumbing and air conditioning systems, this hotel would be at the low end of the acceptable range. If I'd had to stay another night I probably would have lowered my rating, but as it was I took care of my business in town and happily moved on.

• Stayed: June 2005, travelled on business
3  Thank DaveOK
Reviewed 25 August 2004

We stayed there the weekend after the Fourth of July for a family reunion. The family called ahead and told them we would like to have our reunion there. We did recieve a family reunion discount rate and several families stayed there, which made it very handy. Everyone enjoyed the pool and several took advantage of the exercise room too. The hotel gives you free breakfast (or $4.00 off anything you want at breakfast) and we all ate there together and sure enjoyed the food too! Our family get together was at the Conference Room and the staff was efficient and very accomodating with the large crowd that was there. The meal was excellent and we were all glad that we had made this choice. We stayed there again in August and we think this is a real good bargain. Would stay there again if we need to.

• Stayed: February 2005, travelled on business