“incompetent and rude employees”

Great Bend Travelodge
Ranked #6 of 8 Hotels in Great Bend
Reviewed 1 October 2013

I made my reservation 8 weeks in advance with special instructions "must be lower floor". My wife has difficulty climbing stairs. The night clerk did not check the incoming reservations and gave away all of the lower floor rooms by the time we got there. We took an upper floor with great pains. I thought the day clerk would like to know how the night shift handle their job. Wrong! I said that there is 2 issues with our stay. there was only one hand towel and no wash cloths. She said "That is all we put in the rooms and what is your next problem?" I said "But there is 2 beds in this room. We reserved a lower floor room because my wife cannot climb stairs very well. The reaction was belligerent and nearly combative as she was yelling as I walked away with my hand up. She has absolutely no compassion for handicapped or older people. She should think about a new vocation as she really sucks at the current job.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
Manager-9348, General Manager at Great Bend Travelodge, responded to this reviewResponded 15 November 2013

I am sorry to hear your troubles. First thing I looked up your reservation. You made your reservations on line & reservations does not say ground floor room request. If we had rooms available downstairs we always try to accomodate the guest. About rude front desk clerk I am finding out who was the clerk working at that time & will talk to the desk clerk. When you come thru the Great Bend next time I will give you 20% off of our regular room rate.

There are newer reviews for Great Bend Travelodge

Reviewed 10 September 2013

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 7 September 2013

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 26 July 2013

This place is dated with a bare bones lobby but definitely worth the $45 I paid. Air conditioner was in great shape, bathroom was clean and had been recently updated. Bed was comfy with a pillow top mattress. Floor was clean but the furniture is old and a bit beat up. I had eggs, orange juice and a waffle for breakfast!

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 25 July 2013

We were in Great Bend for a wedding. We drove in about noon. Wedding was scheduled at 2:30. We thought we would get our room and change and be ready for the wedding that was right down the street a few blocks. When we arrived we were told we could not check in until after 2:00pm. My husband explained that we were in town for a wedding and we just needed a place to change our clothes. The woman in charge turned him away. I could not believe that a hotel could not make a room available for us to change so I went in. I explained the issue again asking her to please help us out. We had after all already paid for our room. I asked if she had any rooms that had already been cleaned but was told that then they would have to clean the room again (she said it with such horror in her voice I had visions of major sanitizing going on). I suggested that she might just let us use a dirty room to just change our close in, after all I reasoned we just really needed someplace to hang our clothes and change everything else could be done from our vehicle. She still would not agree. Finally I just flat out begged and she conceded to let us use the restroom behind the counter in what is their laundry room. She was throwing mean glare our way as we were clearly disturbing her laundry. The restroom was very small and very dirty. We managed to get changed while holding up each others dress clothes so they did not get near the dirty floor.
That evening when we came back after a lovely wedding and reception, we discovered that our room did not have two queen size beds as advertised but one queen and one double bed. We also discovered dead bugs on the bathroom! Clearly no major sanitization going on in this room. The choice of beds were either the very stiff and uncomfortable queen or the softer but much smaller double. My husband has bad shoulders so we chose the softer but smaller bed. When we pulled back the cover we found a king size blanket doubled over to for the on it's side to fit the double. It was one of those nylon blankets that are so common in hotels,they are usually fuzzy and very soft, only this one had all been put in a too hot dryer so that the fuzz was all burnt off of it so that it was just a doubled over piece of hard plastic. I mean this literally, it was hard to the touch and hardly bent! The next morning the water switched from hot to cold so drastically my husband gave up and took a bath to get a consistent temperature. He needed it due to the discomfort he had from the mattress. Thank goodness we did not choose the bad mattress, we might not have been able to walk the next morning. Overall this was one of the worst motels we have ever had the displeasure to sleep in. We would have asked for our money back and gone to a different one but it was late by the time we got in since we did not get our room until close to 11pm after the wedding and reception. We know now and if you read this review maybe you will be spared a night like ours. As for us, we will never choose Travelodge again thinking it a decent motel company. We know better now.

• Stayed: July 2013
1  Thank Russell64
Reviewed 11 July 2013

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 7 July 2013

Nothing fancy about this place, but room and bed were clean and staff pleasant. Good place for a one night stay just passing through. Everything worked and no problems. Location is close to highway thru town and do get some traffic noise.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
Holiday Inn Express & Suites Great Bend
Rodeway Inn Larned
Rodeway Inn Larned
#1 of 3 in Larned

Been to Great Bend Travelodge? Share your experiences!