“This Old Holiday Inn has seen better days, needs renovation”

Highland Hotel and Convention Center
Ranked #8 of 8 Hotels in Great Bend
Reviewed 11 August 2013

While staying in Great Bend , we have had to resort to this old Holiday Inn which has been the Highland hotel for a while. The facility has not had a renovation in many years and is tired and shabby but clean. The cheap beds are not comfortable like a newer hotel, no flat screens, carpet is bunched, pillow are old,old,old. Pool is old but nice and warm, need ropes at deep end and a cleaner deck area, Jacuzzi is lukewarm, missing drain cover like the pool, and not in good repair , gym area is tired. The employees are nice and friendly and the ones I met we're willing to help, ( no pool towels, room had 2 bath towels, one room in our party had to move as the ac was hot. The owners are on premise but either cannot afford the upgrades this hotel desperately needs or doesn't "get it" . Room was $79 with the "manager" discount but would be ok with more if the hotel was a better stay. Owner needs to do the math on a better occupancy rate like the "Best Western" across the street which is always full as it is much nicer.this hotel could be much more than it is right now with some renovation.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family

Reviewed 22 July 2013

Most accomadating and professional staff always going above and beyond the call of duty to meet the needs of our business meeting. While the Hotel and facilities are older, everything was clean and most furniture and appliances were new. The few issues raised by the sheer size of our group were addressed promptly, professionally, and with a smile. If your planning a business event you won't find a better value, and I've never experienced hotel Manager so willing to make miracles happen!

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 21 July 2013

We have noticed many things going down hill with rooms. Air conditioners way to noisy for comfort, security of rooms is really bad, bathrooms not clean, poor beds is my rating, commodities of room low value cheap small. Weeds growing to in excess of a foot tall around outside of building very tacky. Meetings rooms had low level lighting need flashligh to read our literature. Swimming pool water not clear, looks inhibiting. I would not recommend this place to stay. Restrooms outside of meeting rooms where nasty.

Room Tip: Look before you stay.
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 19 July 2013

Mike and staff did not hesitate to meet my requests. This hotel has no elevator I asked who was going to carry my luggage up stairs and immediately Mike was there ready and willing. My air conditioning wasn't blowing very well Mike not only came up and made the necessary adjustments but just to be safe he also went back down and brought me a fan.
For some strange reason I wasn't able to link to WI-FI called the front desk to see if I needed a password but I did not. I still couldn't connect and I no flunky and one of the girls at the front desk said she'd be right up. WOW! And I'm hard to WOW!

• Stayed: July 2013
Reviewed 24 June 2013

This was the almost the worst experience I have ever had from ANY hotel across the states. There were a total of 5 rooms booked out of close to 300 rooms. We asked for a non pool side room. Our room was next to a room that was turned into a storage facility which has a faint beeping noise going 24/7, sounded like a fire alarm that needed a battery changed. As for the room, musty, hot (A/C not working much at all), spiders in the bath tub not to mention on the wall beside the bed, and some flying bug that I just hope was not a roach. The water faucet in the sink had more of a shower sprayer than the shower head in the bathroom, however it did at least drain. The bathtub did eventually as well. We didn't complain.
It was my son's birthday party so we asked for a small table out in the pool area for pizza, couldn't have one of those per management, but we could pay $3 per child for them to swim (not sure what this $3 buys cause it wasn't a towel!) Not one person came to sit in the huge lobby with the pretty tables out there.
Never again would I stay there, nor would I recommend it. Very sad, I grew up in this town, hate to see what once was such a busy happening place in this shape.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 10 June 2013

The first weekend in June 2013, I stayed at the Highland Hotel & Convention Center in Great Bend, KS. I felt compelled to write this review, to get it out to the public. Because everyone needs to know that Great Bend, KS has a 5 Star Hotel. I recommend the Highland Hotel & Convention Center if you are staying in Great Bend, KS. I have visited and stayed at a lot of Hotels in Kansas during my years of work and travel. But no other Hotel has treated me as a valued guest, as the Highland Hotel. Reservations were a breeze. On my arrival, I was greeted very friendly, and by name. My accommodations were asked, and they were met 100%. My room was in excellent condition! My stay was so wonderful that I extended my checkout to an extra day. The Price, the Rooms, Location, Swimming Pool & Jacuzzi, the Restaurant, and the Bar Lounge are all right there at the Highland Hotel. All your needs in one location. I would also like to Thank and recognize the Manager, Mr. Mike Tropani, and his Staff at the Highland Hotel & Convention Center for doing an Excellent job in not letting the Highland Hotel be just another mediocre Hotel on 10th Street. Mike and his Staff really care about their guests, and I am a witness. But don't just take my word, stay at the Highland Hotel & Convention Center, and you will see for yourself what I am talking about. As a matter of fact, I will be booking reservations at the Highland Hotel for my trip in July. Bottom line, if you just want to stay in a Hotel that just books you in and gives you a key with no hospitality or friendly interaction, then I respect that. BUT, if you are looking for a Hotel with a great Staff, great Management, who are interested in YOU, and your stay, then I recommend the Highland Hotel & Convention Center! I will always stay there when visiting in and around Great Bend, KS. The Highland Hotel & Convention Center, a 5 Star Hotel in the Plains of Kansas. Don't miss out!

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank John G
Reviewed 8 May 2013

Stayed here as part of a big group. Afternoon/evening reception staff friendly.
Rooms are in desperate need of refurbishment - they just look scruffy, but I think the maids are doing the best job they can.
Biggest problem I found (in the night) was that the toilet was taking 2 hours to re-fill with water - so ended up having to use the ice bucket to fill the cistern with water from the bath tap. I told the morning receptionist, who didn't even apologise.

However, the breakfast staff must be given praise. They had oatmeal, pancakes, eggs ready for 30 of us before the normal opening time - we'd all been served within 5 minutes. Best breakfast service we've had anywhere.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with friends