“Excellent” 5 of 5 bubbles

Cuisines: Mexican, Southwestern, Fast food
Good for: Cheap Eats, Child-friendly
“Excellent”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 December 2013 via mobile

This is one of my favorite places to eat!! They have the best queso anywhere. We eat here whenever we can. I would definitely recommend this restaurant to anyone.

2 Thank Tiffany D

“Don't understand why this is a local favorite”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 July 2013

The meat is not seasoned and the food is very simplistic. The recipes remind me of the day we made Mexican food in middle school home economics. I understand they are a locally owned business but I wish that wasn't all they had to stand on. Why does use of flavor and texture allude them? Might as well eat at Taco Grande, Tico, or Belll.

• Visited June 2013
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank usnavyblue95
Christchurch, New Zealand
“It is what it is!”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 May 2013

This place is what it is... A cheap, low-end, taco joint. The food is never good but always edible and very cheap. If you go in with these expectations then you won't be disappointed.

I have had the taco salad which was edible. Nice freshly made taco shell with fresh lettuce, dodgy (?canned) chicken and somewhat inexplicably sliced olives on top?! My fellow diner had a burrito which again was edible although the tortilla wrap was so poor quality/dry that it cracked around the edges!

Visited May 2013
4 Thank HutJa
Norman, Oklahoma
“Great classic Hay's Restaurant!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 September 2012

This place has been around in Hays for quite some time and still continues to be great! I would consider this more Americanized Mexican food but still great! Staff was friendly, food was great, and the restaurant was clean. Only complaint was the time it took to get our food but that still wasn't a big deal. Highly recommend!

• Visited September 2012
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank Brady K
Leander, TX
“Cheap Americanized Mexican food...”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 June 2012

Nothing really special about this place for people who are not from the Hays area but those of you have spent time in Hays can also testify...good comfort food. Cheese and more cheese on the dishes. Since I have moved away from Hays I do miss having Taco Shop food. Whenver I do go through Hays I stop. Honestly I live in Central Texas and NO ONE in the Hays area has real good Mexican food but if you want some Americanized Mexican food that is cheap and tasty this is the place.

• Visited August 2011
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank Barbara U

Been to Taco Shop? Share your experiences!