“Embarrassment to Chinese food.”

Great Wall Super Buffet
Ranked #66 of 96 Restaurants in Hays
Cuisines: Chinese
Reviewed 12 November 2017

This place is absolutely terrible. Although a few years ago it was hopping. New management took over and it went down hill from there. It's now called 'Lucky Buffet' and you are lucky if you get any hot food. We got there when it just opened at 11 am. You would think that everything would be fresh and hot but no. The food was barely warm, probably old and very tasteless. The only good thing was the egg drop soup which was hot and had a pretty good flavor. I couldn't believe there was no General Tsao's on the buffet. The fruit was tasteless, and the bathroom was awful, drippy sink with a bucket below it catching the drips. I hate to leave a review like this but people need to be informed.

Reviewed 10 November 2017

There were a lot of selections on the buffet that were fresh and warm. The owner frequently monitored the food and refilled when necessary. I would recommend eating over the noon hour as the food is much better than in mid-afternoon after it has "set" for awhile. I gave this restaurant an average rating because the facility is in need of some repair. Note: The name has changed to Lucky Buffet.

Reviewed 17 August 2017

The Super Buffet in Hays receives an average score. However, that would be if the average restaurant needed a lot of improvements. Most important and the reason for a moderate score is that the food on the buffet is good. However, it is the same food items..... every day. No variation. There is a decent variety of foods to choose from on the buffet. Additional or new stir fry entrees would be a definitive improvement. I do not believe there is a menu to order from. If there is.... I have never seen it or been offered a menu. Service is below average. There are times when I have felt as if I am imposing or as if my business was not wanted or appreciated. It appears the owners children wait tables during the summer. The kids do a good.
Their mother could take some lessons from them. Now the bad side........ The building is in horrible repair and in serious need of some maintenance. The disrepair of the building does lead me to imagine what it must be like in the kitchen........ That, according to my imagination, is not a pretty picture.
Frankly, I'm not sure why I ever go back to the Super Buffet. I guess it has to be due to the lack of quality dining in Hays, KS, in general. That my friends is another story for another day.

Reviewed 7 July 2015

We don't know how this buffet is in business. Our mistake was not following our own rule. If there are no cars in the parking lot a 1 pm, then do not go in. The wall paper is peeling, the seats have taped tears and the food is old. We just wanted to stop and have lunch. The bathrooms were disgusting. We didn't get ill but maybe we were just lucky. The other reviews said this place has recently changed it's name to Lucky Buffet.

Reviewed 11 August 2014

The food looked like it was sitting out in the buffet all day without being changed out for fresh food. The amazing part is that the staff are very friendly and the restaurant barely have people their eating. If your looking for food that is not fresh but a great atmosphere to just stop and take a break with no loud guest then this is the place. The food is not awful it just wasn't fresh at all maybe if you go earlier when they just open then it would be worth it. In a positive way the cost was great.

Been to Great Wall Super Buffet? Share your experiences!