“Worth a visit”

Strataca
Ranked #1 of 18 things to do in Hutchinson
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: Travel 650 feet underground into an active salt mine! Experience a cool and soothing subterranean world formed by salt deposits in the Permian Sea long ago. See the raw mine as it was left more than 50 years ago on the Salt Mine Express train ride and catch a guided tour on a tram to the Dark Ride. You won't want to miss a special gallery filled with authentic movie costumes and memorabilia. And don't miss the SALT SAFARI add on tour. A one hour guided adventure tour that goes BEYOND STRATACA. See salt formations not available to the general public until now! Limited capacity -- only 12 visitors at a time depart 3-4 times a day.
Reviewed 24 April 2014

We really enjoyed our visit here after visiting the Cosmosphere. It was very educational and the staff very entertaining!

1  Thank Mamabearpat
Gayle F, Director of Operations at Strataca, responded to this reviewResponded 4 August 2014

Thanks for visiting! We're so glad you got to visit the Cosmosphere, too. Hutchinson is very fortunate to have two world-class attractions. We love to host visitors and are so happy to hear you had a good time. We hope you'll be able to visit again soon!

Reviewed 23 April 2014

Going here I expected a completely different experience then I walked into for the better. They take you down in a pitch black, and it opens up to a very large area. Doesn't make you make you feel claustrophobic at all once you enter the museum. You should definitely purchase the tickets for the other mini tours there as well. It is a do it once experience, and not do it again for awhile type of museum.

Thanks for visiting! People are often surprised at how open the mine is. Many of the rooms are 40 by 40 feet, and the large room you enter when you come off the hoist is even larger. We are constantly adding to the underground experience and love to share it. Thanks for coming!

Reviewed 18 April 2014

I'm in charge of senior bus groups for my employer. Took my group to Hutchinson, KS on April 16 and April 17, 2014. One of our activities was going to the Underground Salt Museum. What an experience! Francis was our guide and he was wonderful. The museum is big so there is a lot of walking, but we stopped every so often to see short video on certain aspects of salt mining. The museum also provides motorized and non-motorized wheelchairs for people who have dificulty walking. I bought entire package fo my group - museum tour, train ride and dark tram ride. To get the full effect of the museum you must do all three. My group really enjoyed this museum. A MUST SEE! Highly recommend for senior groups and families.

Gayle F, Director of Operations at Strataca, responded to this reviewResponded 9 August 2014

Rita,

Thank you for coming and bringing your group to Strataca! We're so glad you had a good time during your visit. We try to accommodate so everyone can enjoy the underground world. Thanks so much for your visit. We hope you're able to visit again soon!

Reviewed 17 April 2014

When the elevator door was about to close to take us down 300 feet, I wanted to run. My husband looked at me and said "you can do this!" I was really glad I did and once in the mine it was truly a unique and interesting experience. as an avid movie buff it was unreal to see the boxes of true legends. The train ride gives you a great perspective into what it takes to be a miner and the lamp we bought as a night lite for my grand-children is perfect. Go with someone you trust and you will have a memorable visit!

Reviewed 16 April 2014

The Salt Museum is now called Strataca. It is one visit you will not forget about. I think there is an age limit,cannot remember,as our grandchildren were old enough to go down in the museum. you need to wear a coat as it is cool,but worth the visit.