“Much Better Than Some Reviews Indicate”

Great Wolf Lodge Kansas City
Ranked #3 of 23 Hotels in Kansas City
Reviewed 4 August 2013

I think for a place like the Great Wolf Lodge, your response to it will depend a lot on why you're there and who you are with. I was with my wife, parents, and two children (ages 8 and 10), We shared a loft room on the top floor. It had two queen beds, a pull-out couch, a loft with an extra bathroom (no shower) and another bed, a small balcony, and a microwave and fridge.

There are a lot of negative reviews on this site, but here's what I thought about those areas of concern:

1. I found the overall cleanliness and upkeep excellent. The room could have been one step bigger, and a few extra chairs would be nice (both on the balcony and inside). But it was perfectly clean. Even the common areas looked good, especially considering the beating they take from wet kids all day long. It's obviously not brand new, and it's meant to look woody and old-fashioned, but I was very pleased with this aspect of the hotel.

2. Noise wasn't a problem at all. My wife will wake up at ANYTHING in a hotel. Kids were rowdy until 10 p.m. or so, but not in the hallways by our room. The rowdiness seemed to be contained to the MagicQuest exhibits. We stayed two nights and never had a problem with noise.

3. The water park isn't gigantic but my children loved it, especially the 8-year-old. She would have spent another week there. I can imagine older kids getting bored. None of the slides was really scary, even for her, so she felt like she had a lot to do. The crowds never felt overwhelming (and this was in the middle of the summer). A wave pool would be nice but that's a big addition and the outside pool was itself pretty nice.

4. Food was expensive but probably cheaper than most of the restaurants in the nearby Legends Shopping Center. They had no problem at all with people bringing back McDonald's and setting up in the main room. We only had snack baskets (like chicken strips and fries) and coffee from the snack shop, so I can't really judge the quality.

One final comments: Lifeguards and employees were EXCELLENT. They were friendly and always present. I felt my children were safe the entire time. At one point, the cleaning crew picked up a stack of towels that had my shirt in it (a soccer jersey that cost me $100). I mentioned it to a employee and she INSTANTLY started tracking down the laundry bin. I had my shirt back in ten minutes.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank MJennings
Write a ReviewReviews (2,524)

Reviewed 1 August 2013

First let me say the staff is very friendly and polite. The problem is the hotel is very dingy and needs repairs. The chair on the balcony was so dirty and worn no one would sit on it although it had a great view of a dead bird lying just one story below on the patio. The tables and carpets in the room had stains. There were no washcloths or hand towels in our room when we checked in. I called the front desk and the phone rang 15 times. I tried back after about 10 minutes and got the same result. Finally, someone answered and they were very polite and helpful. However, we didn't receive any towels or washcloths until and hour and a half later, which was 9:30 pm. My kids absolutely love it here, this is our third time staying here and we have been to the one in Grapevine, TX twice. I wish the management would get it together. I have heard employees complaining several times during our stay. The mattress is old and lumpy. We are in a Wolf's Den suite and it is great for the kids. So, if you are all about making your kids happy, you can suffer through it. I hope this place will upgrade/update soon and focus on making parents happy. If momma ain't happy, ain't nobody happy!

Room Tip: Wolf's Den suite is great fun for two little ones! Bunk beds and their own t.v. Try to get on...
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 31 July 2013

Really enjoyed our time at Great Wolf. The water park was a amazing. The staff was great. The kids we were with enjoyed the magic game you can play throughout the hotel. Very professiona set up, we will return.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 31 July 2013

We stayed here for 1 night on our way to Arkansas. Wish it was more! Hotel staff was friendly and upgraded us to a family room with a bunk bed/tent designed area for my daughter. She loved it! The room also had separate toiletries for children! I was very impressed with the professionalism of the lifeguards at the water park. They all walked back and forth in their area watching the water. I did not see one of them looking around or talking with each other or "flirting" with swimmers like at some resorts! Sad that the children's spa was so expensive, but that's part of a resort/ water park. Good area and easy to get to the Crown Center and all it's restaurants.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 30 July 2013

We arrived at GW Lodge with another couple and total of 5 kids. The location was great, and the check in service was great. The rooms were dirty, bed was terrible. We had a hard time falling asleep because there was kids running around late on third floor and our whole room was shaking. One of the days there was a problem with the pipe and they shut down the slides until next morning. Our older kids were bored. Most of our 3 day trip was spent outside in shopping areas, and not su much in the waterpark. The food in the waterpark is pricey and not good. The Starbucks downstairs was not good at all, long lines, lazy employees, and nothing compared to your usual Starbucks. It's sad that this hotel is in such bad condition, it could be a great place for families. Especially for the price you pay.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 30 July 2013

Had a great time! Took our 12-year old daughter and her friend for a 2 day mini-getaway vacation and Great Wolf Lodge was just the thing. We thoroughly enjoyed the waterpark although we 2 adults spent more time in the outdoor pool area relaxing. The room was very clean and the bed, very comfortable. We really don't have a single complaint, except one. I do not recommend eating at the Camp Critter Bar & Grill. Pricey, we expected that...what we didn't expect was for service to be horrible and slow (there were only 2 other tables in the entire restaurant with patrons). Took forever to receive our food and then the food was cold and bland like someone didn't nuke the tv dinner long enough. Now, there is hope family dining worth the short drive...we recommend the T-Rex Cafe at the Legends Outlet Mall (just down the road). The atmosphere is "jurassic"! From a wall of lava, to a gigantic jellyfish, to the animatronic creatures...so much fun! Service was excellent, food was so tasty. Try the Bronto Burger, yummy! To sum up, a great time was had by all! Next time, the girls want to check out Scoops.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 28 July 2013

Good: the girls were great and actually got along the entire trip. This is a rare occasion at 14 & 9 and we couldn't be more excited post trip. Location was great, right in the thick of things. Outlet mall and several restaurants. There's a minor league baseball team in the area and I wish we could've caught a game.

Bad: room was clean but a Motel 6 at a Ritz Carlton price. After room rate, fees, taxes, etc it was $626 for the basic room for two nights. We paid less per night each time we've traveled to Mexico and stayed in a five star all inclusive. The beds were such a joke, full size and worn in the middle like an 800lb man had slept there for a few years. The best part was the toilet, when you sat down it would rock back and forth. I've never seen a toilet do this. We arrived a little after 1pm and our room wasn't ready. This is pretty standard so no issue. We gave them our cell and they would text when it was ready, no text came but we got into the room once we inquired after 4pm.

Ugly: water park was fine, kids enjoyed it for a while. Chlorine was so thick it burned my eyes most of the weekend. We decided to swim outside and the chlorine was so high in the pool I actually broke out in hives. This was gone in a matter of hours once I changed clothes.

The really ugly: the three water slides are fed by, what I believe, are 6" PVC pipe and attach to the slides vis rubber gaskets. One the the gaskets fails and bursts a pipe in a few places sending pipe down on the lazy river below. Only one injury but the kids got to see along with the ambulance. I guess what makes me furious is the hotel maintenance was moving the scaffolding into the pool area before the injured guest had left in the ambulance. This shows a lack of concern for their total negligence.

I can get past the high price and lousy accommodations but their response to an accident was negligent at best.

Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family