“OK I guess...”

Great Wolf Lodge Kansas City
Ranked #4 of 21 Hotels in Kansas City
Reviewed 1 August 2008

Well, it was GREAT fun, but it is a HUGE rip-off. I am 14 years old, and I went with my whole family, along with two 5 and 7 year old kids. They adored it. The waterpark got kind of boring after 2 or so hours, not a TON to do, but still fun. Also, one of the water tube slides was leaking, and they pretended it was one of those little "game" things where water shoots out, etc. They need to fix it before someone gets hurt on that waterslide. It was ACTUALLY a leak. There was also green mold around the whole lazy river lining!!! They tried to cover it up by re-caulking it, but it is still terribly noticible. I know, mold just kind of happens, but it is real easy and worth it to get it off. They also need to put a TON more chlorine in the lazy river, the water was getting pretty dark. And in the hot tub AND the lazy river, the floor was stained and nasty. They should also add a much deeper pool, for I kept scraping my knees on the lazy river, and all the other shallow parts. The deepest pool goes to like 4 foot 5 or something. And, if you are planning to stay there, don't let your kids convince to into buying a fancy room like we bought. (Room 119, the Wolf Den) You only get your room after 4 PM and have to be out by 11 AM, and you will be at the waterpark most of the time except for sleeping and eating. I highly recommend going to the legends, right next door, for less expensive AND better food. We went to Stix, a Japenese restaurant where they cook the food in front of you. Great great fun. I won't be coming back, it's just as easy (and much much much cheaper) to go to Ocean's of Fun, then go to a fun hotel after instead of buying a $500.00 room and barely using it, souvenirs, food, and stuff like that. The waterpark was also a lot smaller and less fun than I expected. But, very entertaining for those little ones!! What they also do to you parents is right next to the check in, your kids are exploring around the lobby while you wait in the long, long line they find that the souvenir shop, bakery with tons of junk food, AND a stuffed animal build-a-bear type of thing so your kids will be screaming and begging and making a scene to get one. So...all in all....fun, but not worth it at all.

• Stayed: July 2008, travelled with family
2  Thank ilovehorses101
There are newer reviews for Great Wolf Lodge Kansas City

Reviewed 14 July 2008

Let me be clear about something from the outset. My child loved this place but it was a bit wearing on me.

To begin with the room was nice and spacious but had a very damp smell upon arrival which never went away for the duration of the three days we were there. Beds were comfy and the atmosphere was quiet. No real complaints here.

The water park was pretty good but a bit lacking. There were three tube slides apart from a central structure which contained at least three more body slides. I would have liked to have seen one or two slides that you could go down without tubes that were a bit taller and wilder. Nevertheless, my daughter enjoyed the slides, tubing and other structures/poolside fun that was available. As a note, our family stayed at Watiki in Rapid City, South Dakota the year before and it was definitely a better water park with a little more to offer.

My daughter also wanted to play Magiquest at the lodge. The wand for the game (read up on it so you can get the details as I will explain) was about $30.00. You have to devote a good chunk of time to this game if your child is younger, at least 3-4 hours minimum. The game is a bit dated and not user friendly at times. The wand would not activate different stations as easily as it should, and some of the stations during the adventure were very hard to activate, period. Help was often needed at the Magiquest desk to solve problems. Again, my daughter loved this but the game tested my patience at times. AS AN IMPORTANT NOTE: You can do the entire quest, get all the points and experience you want and still be defeated in the end only to start over. Keep this in mind.

I used the exercise room at the lodge for a couple of days and it was great. The on-site laundry was also very helpful but VERY busy in the evening. It was best to use the aforementioned early in the mornings.

There was a great breakfast buffet in the mornings and we had one slam-dunk awesome waitress who chatted up with us while my family and I were there eating. I wish we could get this kind of service everywhere we went.

Overall, the lodge is something to see and take in. It is almost a mini-city capable of holding your attention for at least three days, if not more. There is much to offer. Except for feeling a bit let down in the water park area of things, I would recommend this to anyone who would like some family fun for their kids.

• Stayed: July 2008, travelled with friends
2  Thank deezledubb
Reviewed 10 July 2008

My wife and I took our 2 kids, aged 11 & 12, here for one night of fun as a treat to the kids. We would have liked to go in winter but it's much cheaper in summer. We got a kid cabin room on a week day and it cost us almost $300 after fees & tax. That's pretty expensive to go swimming but we had a $100 gift card (or else we never would have gone). I had read several of the reviews here and noticed that many people complained about the noise in their rooms and advised getting a room on the 4th (top) floor so no one would be over head banging around. When I checked in I found this was not possible because we had booked a "suite" and they only go to the 3rd floor. So I said "If that's the case then just put us on the ground floor." But there were no ground floor suites ready yet (we were checking in early at about 1:30pm). I didn't want to wait for a room (which you can do and still use the water park) so I took a 3rd floor room. Turned out not to be a problem fortunately and the only banging around we heard overhead was the next morning after 8 o'clock. Another complaint I had read was that the towels they offer in the waterpark are not big enough. I don’t agree. The towels are not huge or thick but adequate. I was going to rent a locker but they are $15 dollars of which $10 is refundable. I only had $10 on me when we went to the waterpark so I asked if I could use my room card. The young girl said “Yes” but when I produced my room key she said that was not the card she needed. She said it was another “white” card with our room info on it. I didn’t have that so we took our chances. Turns out I was never given one of these so-called “white” cards and the girl even admitted not everyone is given them. Huh? Oh well. I was glad as it turned out because we didn’t need a locker…it was pretty safe to leave stuff out and we didn’t leave anything valuable lying around anyway. However, it was a weekday in summer so it was not very crowded. I was disappointed to find there are NO CHAISE LOUNGE CHAIRS in the waterpark (indoor). Only upright chairs so as an adult who was going to be just laying around most of the time it was not as comfortable as I would have prefered but I managed. The waterpark is pretty cool (and after all that’s why you go right?) and my kids could have played for days. I was pretty much done with it after an hour or so but I’m an adult and that’s to be expected isn’t it? And you do get what amounts to bascially a two-day pass for a one-night stay since you can swim as early as 1:00pm on check-in day and can swim all of the check-out day even after you have checked out. The only complaint I have about the place, other than the price, was the SMELL. Once you get off the main lobby and into the room hallways and in the rooms themselves, everything stinks like an old gym locker room. Was kind of disgusting. The place has been there 5 years and after all the repeated traffic of dripping wet people marching to and from their rooms the carpet was just rancid smelling. This was kind of the 500 pound elephant in the room that I don’t think most people wanted to acknowledge but there was no way anyone could not have noticed. The stink permeated the hallways and even our room. Yuck. All-in-all, it’s an OK place, but I won't be going back and I have a feeling it will be history once Schlitterbahn opens next year. Schlitterbahn is going to be a major waterpark resort right down the street and I doubt seriously if GWL will be able to hold it’s own with the competition. If it does manage to stay open it will have to be at greatly reduced (actually affordable?) prices.

• Stayed: July 2008, travelled with family
2  Thank KCStrip
Reviewed 29 June 2008

Decent waterpark hotel, but a bit outdated already. We have stayed in other GWL parks before and this one seems a bit on the below average side of those. Bathroom was very small in the Family suite rooms. Kids thought the water slides were a bit below average of some of the other water parks we have stayed at in Texas and South Dakota. Overall was a good place to stop and we spent most of our time in the outdoor pool playing water basketball. Room was just ok, nothing to give you any wow factor. Several restaurants within walking distance of hotel. Nice Cabela's shop across the parking lot with a great Hall of Horn's exhibit, if you are next door you should take the time to go over and view all of the stuffed wildlife, pretty impressive and free. I would have given an above average rating, but the prices are pretty steep for what you end up with in my opinion.

• Stayed: June 2008, travelled with family
1  Thank CardsFan21
Reviewed 30 May 2008

We stayed at the Great Wolf Lodge on Sunday over Memorial Weekend. We had just returned from a trip to Mexico and wanted to take the kids somewhere special.

Since we booked late the only room to accommodate the 5 of us was a Kid's Cabin Room. The rate for this room during our stay was $379 which included use of the water parks for 2 days.

Check in is at 4:00, but you can arrive at the hotel as early as 1:00 to pre-check-in and start using the water park. We arrived right at one and were about 10th in line...the line grew rapidly after we arrived, so I would recommend arriving at 1:00 if you can.

Our room was available for check in at about 3:00, which was nice since it was an hour earlier than anticipated.

The room had one queen size bed, a sofa sleeper, a set of twin bunk beds and a twin bed. The room with the queen size bed and sofa sleeper had a fireplace and a 25" TV. The "room" with the bunk beds and twin bed had a 20" TV.

The room was a clean as can be expected for a hotel that caters to families with kids. The room had a good size refrigerator to hold all of our drinks and dinner left overs and a microwave to reheat or make popcorn.

Our room was on the 3rd floor and I would recommend requesting a room on the 4th (top floor). We had the absolute rudest people in the room above us. The GWL has "hibernation" hours of 11:00 to 6:00 and the people above us sounded like they were moving furniture until after midnight. I had to call the front desk 3 times and each time they went up to ask them to settle down and they just got louder. They also woke us up again at 6:00 with what I can only assume was moving furniture.

Maybe it is just me, but I would be mortified if any hotel management told me I was being too loud and would probably not move the rest of my time there, plus I would certainly apologize to the people below me because I sure wouldn't do it on purpose.

I can't tell you if it is the hotel's construction that would cause that much noise to come through or if we just got the bad draw of being underneath people that are rude and actually were noisy on purpose (even the security and manager said their noise was excessive).

Save yourself the heartache of spending so much for a hotel room and request the 4th floor, but please be respectful of the people in the rooms below you.

The customer service did give us 50% off of our room price, but if you don't charge it to the people that caused the aggrevation as they state in their "rules" it is not a lesson learned.

Other than the room the kids had a blast at the water park. I don't think the outside area is big enough, and they barely have enough sitting areas inside. It was nice being able to use the water park the next day even after the 11:00 check out time.

This is a nice breather for winter time when you can't attend an outside water park, but in summer months I would recommend staying at any other hotel and going to Ocean's of Fun or the new to be constructed Schliterbahn in 2009.

• Stayed: May 2008, travelled with family
17  Thank H0neybug
Reviewed 18 May 2008

My husband and I took our 11 year old daughter and her two friends for her birthday. Check in was at 4pm, but we arrived around 3:45. The line was all most out the door, with three people to check everyone in. When it was my turn, which seemed like 30 minutes, I noticed that all the employees badges said in training. No wonder if took so long, could they maybe train these people when it is less busy?
When we arrived in our $277 dollar a night room that was suppose to have a view, we first noticed the horrible smell. Our balcony was overlooking the trash dump. I immediatly went back to the front desk(waited another 20min) and told them for this price I wanted a room with a nicer view. The gal told me that she thought they were all booked because of a girl scout convention. I told her that I had booked this room 3 months in advance and I was not going to have a view of garbage. She found us another room with a much better view. The room was pretty dirty. ( I noticed alot of housekeeping just standing around.) Stains on the floor that were sticky, holes in the sheets and blankets. The hair dryer did not work, remote to tv did not work. The shower and the fact that there was a microwave and refrig was the only thing good about it.
The water park, the kids loved!! I have to admit that even my husband and I found it fun. The prices at the snack shop to me were very resonable compared to other parks. The food was good. The only complaint was that the workers seemed like they were in slow motion. They to me were very unorganized.
I do think that the life guards and clean up crew did a great job.
Would I stay there again? a big NO. I have stayed in much nicer hotels that are half the money. Do yourself a favor and stay at a cheeper hotel and buy tickets to a local water park.

• Stayed: May 2008, travelled with family
4  Thank stculey
Reviewed 29 April 2008

We arrived late in the afternoon on April 2, 2008. We had driven from Ashland, KY and decided to spend the night before returning to Crete, NE. Around 6:00 am the following morning we were awakened by the noise from the people in the room above ours. They were not intensionally being loud, just doing the normal walking around getting ready to check out early. The problem is that the sound proofing is terrible, evidently due to poor construction. We decided we might as well get up shower
and get a early start back home. However there was one big problem with taking a shower, black mold. I have attched photos of the mold. I will never stay at the Great Wolf Lodge again. I found it to be a very unpleasant experience.

• Stayed: April 2006, travelled as a couple