Great Wolf Lodge Kansas City
Hilton Garden Inn Kansas City(Kansas City)(Great Value!)
US$173
US$141
US$137
US$124
Holiday Inn Express Village West(Kansas City)(Great Value!)
US$109
US$101
US$158
Candlewood Suites Kansas City Speedway(Kansas City)(Great Value!)
US$152
CandlewoodSuites
US$162
US$145
US$151
US$141
Comfort Suites Speedway - Kansas City(Kansas City)(Great Value!)
US$104
US$202
US$170
US$175
Residence Inn
2,618 results
All reviewswater parklife guardsmagic questbunk bedsolder kidsmagiquest gameindoor waterparkcamp critterfamily suitefun placekids lovefamily vacationsweet shopgreat family fundance partylifeguardsgwl
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 27 March 2014

We just returned from our second visit to Great Wolf Lodge in Kansas City. We knew what to expect because we had spent 1 night there on the way to St. Louis two years ago. Since that one night, our kids couldn't stop talking about it. They've been all over, and it seemed that Great Wolf ranked very high on their list of places to return, so in a moment of weakness, we decided to go and stay a bit longer.

This review is tricky because, while I wholeheartedly recommend it if you have kids, it does not come without a list of cautions.

First, room vs. the price. It is incredibly overpriced for what you get. This trip we combined an online special for about $180 a night with their Military discount for about $190. It would be easy to expect an outstanding or at least great room for that price, but what you get is a basic room with decent housekeeping -- there was an old yogurt in our fridge when we got there as well as a cup of cigarette butts on our patio. The bed was horribly saggy and the bunks are vinyl and they don't make them with a top sheet so be sure to ask for extra top sheets! The room also needs maintenance, there was a drawer that didn't work and the drapes had a small tear, the wallpaper was loose in a few spots and the mirror was smeary. But it wasn't filthy or smelly at all. The sheets seemed fresh as did the towels. We booked an upgraded kids cabin room for an extra 20 a night -- so the room was big too. The bill was big too!

Next -- the Water Park
This is the part the kids love. It is awesome to have endless entertainment just steps away from the room. My son loved the lazy river, but I scraped up my toes on the rough bottom. Also there is a big drip overhead that smelled a touch moldy. The slides were a big hit too. The life guards seemed on task at all times and I generally felt good about the kids playing here but it could have been a bit cleaner too -- I could actually see dust on the tops of the slides!

The Magiquest Game
We didn't know about the game on our last stop and didn't play. This time I booked the game ahead using the "paw pass" option. I must say the person who invented the game is brilliant -- I picture a tired mom who has screamed at her kids for the last time stop running in the hotel hallway and suddenly decides "what if they could run around?" To complete the quest you must run up and down the hallway and stairs and find all kinds of things. It is clearly designed to make small children very tired. My kids loved it and I would have too if I hadn't felt too paranoid to let them run crazy without me -- as a result I think I'm the only one who was tired. I wondered if they could have figured out some kind of security system or cameras or if perhaps I was just too paranoid to let a 7 & 9 year old run around a hotel on their own?

The Food
The food at the lodge was only ok -- again with the price of the lodge you might expect something more exciting but it was just ok. I was annoyed at breakfast that the sausage and bacon were not on the buffet but rather with the omelet chef which slowed him down and made for a line for bacon or sausage for the kids -- the breakfast wasn't free or included with lodging so I felt like they could have been more generous with the breakfast meat, but again, this trip wasn't about me!

There is more, too. A stuffed animal building station, mini golf and an arcade. All deep money pits, all completely adored by my kids. I highly recommend the "paw pass". It gave me personal permission to say yes to all of the crap I normally say no to and my kids, again were very happy.

Overall, I don't look forward to doing this again -- it was overpriced and, I the bed (room 110) was horrible. Still, my kids would write a very very different review and I know that is the only reason we went in the first place.

Room Tip: I wouldn't pay for the upgraded room, it didn't add much. Ask for an extra top sheet for the bunk beds. And consider "Paw Pass" if your kids don't want something in the package, ask for a substitute.
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
GWL_Management, Guest Relations Manager at Great Wolf Lodge Kansas City, responded to this reviewResponded 3 April 2014

Thank you for sharing such a detailed review about your visit to Great Wolf Lodge – Kansas City. Your concerns about price are understandable, but with a little bit of planning a stay at this location can be very affordable, especially during the week when room availability is higher. Utilizing a military discount is an even better way to save money when booking your Great Wolf Lodge vacation!

If you would like to see lower starting rates, I would recommend visiting in May or September.

We hope to see your family again soon!

Reviewed 27 March 2014

This was our first visit to the GWL and my 4-year-old thought it was the "best thing ever." The water park kept her entertained for hours and she loved the story time in the evening. She also had fun walking around the lodge with her magic wand to do the Magi Quest.
While my husband and I also enjoyed the water park, we were less-than-thrilled with some other aspects. The service at the bar and grill was TERRIBLE. The first evening we were there, we went and had dinner. When the waitress first came over my husband ordered a draft beer and I ordered a mojito. 10 minutes went by and the waitress came back asking my husband if he'd like anything to drink while he waited on his beer... we were a little confused why it was taking so long to get our bar drinks and the waitress stated there was only one bartender. While there was only one bartender, there were only 4 people sitting at the bar and one other family eating dinner - a bartender should be able to handle the drink orders. 10 minutes later our food arrived and we still had not received our bar drinks. When we asked the server, she stated she would check with the bartender - she came back and stated that the draft beer my husband wanted was currently out and asked if he'd like a bottle instead... why they hadn't told us that before, we don't know. We decided to cancel our bar order as it was apparent we were never going to get our drinks. The manager then came over and asked how everything was. We told her about our drinks and she said she'd be happy to give us a free dessert and that someone would be over with a menu shortly. We ate our entire meal and waited - no one ever came with a dessert menu. We paid and left. We then went and had their buffet breakfast the next morning and had to wait 20 minutes for our drinks (coffee, oj, & milk)... and we were one of the first families in the restaurant. Not the kind of service I expected for a hotel that charges $200+ a night.
Also, be forewarned - not only are the rooms expensive, so is everything else! $10 for a locker rental, close to $50 for a wand and "entrance" to the Magi Quest game... the list could go on. However, all the employees that worked in the shops were exceptionally nice and helpful. I also had an incredibly wonderful massage at the Elements Spa.
The room wasn't anything wonderful - we got a family suite. The beds were comfortable but there were stains throughout the room that could have easily been spotted and cleaned by the housekeeping staff.
Overall, I don't know if we'll return. My daughter loved it, but I'm sure we could find a place that we're all overjoyed with.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family

Thank you for sharing the experience you had during your stay at Great Wolf Lodge – Kansas City! I want to sincerely apologize for the service you received while dining with us and reassure you this level of service is not customary for us and does not meet with the expectations we have set for great guest service. I will share your feedback with our Food & Beverage team for them to review to ensure this is not an issue on future visits.

We hope to host your family again soon.

Reviewed 25 March 2014

I took my kids for a couple of days to stay at this location and they loved the water park area. The breakfast buffet was overpriced nasty food my children were gagging on it. The rooms and hallways could use some work. Our room had holes in the carpet and stains all over it. I also think that the $10 locker fee with $10 deposit is a bit much. The employees in the store were very friendly.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family

Thank you for providing us with your feedback about your recent stay at Great Wolf Lodge – Kansas City! In 2014, we are striving to improve the overall dining experience for our guests and your comments will help us to do that.

We hope to see your family again soon!

Reviewed 25 March 2014

Check-in was late, room was dirty, saggy bed, old tube TV without HD, and "balcony" was a concrete slab on ground level. The water park was fun for the kids, but I should have stayed at a 4-star hotel and purchased day passes to a separate water park.

1  Thank UnSatisfiedCustomer0

Thank you for staying at Great Wolf Lodge – Kansas City! Your comments are greatly appreciated and I will share your review with our team in Kansas City so we can work on making improvements before you return to stay with us again.

A majority of our suites feature the option of a private balcony or patio. In your case, it sounds like you had one of our patios which are on the same floor as the waterpark entrance. During the reservation process, you have the ability to request a room with a balcony on floors 2-4, which our Guest Services team will do their best to accommodate you with.

I hope this information helps you and that you will return to stay again soon.

Reviewed 24 March 2014

I do not recommend this place at all. The rooms, hallways, and swim areas were dirty and not maintained. The staff was rude and not accommodating. Oh did I mention rude and slow, very slow. I would not recommend this place at all.

Room Tip: Don't stay here
3  Thank Don H

Thank you for visiting Great Wolf Lodge – Kansas City and for sharing your feedback. It is our goal to make each guest feel comfortable and welcome during their stay. I sincerely apologize if you felt we missed the mark. I will share your opinions with our team in Kansas City for them to review and work on finding areas of improvement.