“Loved the Great Wolf Lodge”

Great Wolf Lodge Kansas City
Ranked #3 of 21 Hotels in Kansas City
Papillion, NE
Reviewed 20 April 2005

I stayed at the Great Wolf Lodge over spring break with my two sons 11yo, & 5yo. I was also accompanied by my sister and her family. Although I had been to the Great Wolf in Wisconsin Dells before I had been told it was not as large in size. We all had a wonderful time! I was nervous about taking my 5yo son who is autistic. He had such a wonderful time and all of the staff were very friendly. He doesn't have strong communication skills yet, but he has asked several times since we came home to go back very soon. My husband was not able to join us, but he can't help but promise our sons we will go back very soon. They came home telling him how they were able to go on raft rides by themselves and the lines were not very long. They loved the arcade I think they would have stayed in there the whole time if it wasn't for the water rides. I especially enjoyed the whirlpool for kids/adults it was nice to get my kids to sit in there and let me get a breather from going from slide to slide. I came back telling everyone I worked with, ( I'm a nurse I work in a specialty clinic) as well as my Autism support group of how well this little adventure of ours went. Even the story time at the big clock is still a subject that is brought up at bedtime. Thanks

9  Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Nebraska
Reviewed 20 March 2005

For the money we expected great service, endless things to do, courteous staff and a spotless room. The room was FILTHY! Sticky boot print on bath floor, old ear wax and splattered pop on phone, freezer completely frosted over, food stuck on table, splatters on mirrors, no kleenexes, trash bag of used feminine products left on our counter after maid serviced 2nd day. Water park window ledges full of dirt and debris clearly visible from high rise ride lines and open stair ways. Waited over 40 minutes for food in half empty restaurant-food good. All service lines VERY slow-one server was eating while helping customers at snack bar both times we visited. Emergency phone in waterpark not functioning properly, fire alarm at 1 a.m. barely audible with heater running in room. Upon arrival in lobby, not addressed by front desk staff regarding the alarm or what to do. Front doors locked and fire personnel had to buzzed in by front desk staff. Not enough to do for the money.

• Stayed: March 2005
8  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Nebraska
Reviewed 12 March 2005

Most Departments OK. Front Desk Manager Victoria- Not alot to be desired. Atttitude - Like she would rather not deal with the common folks. Lesley the other manager - Nasty to employees. Not much help with desk. Called housekeeping to come back to room twice. They took care of problems. Have a moral problem in hotel. Not what I wanted to share with my family

• Stayed: February 2005
5  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Omaha
Reviewed 11 February 2005

We just got back from the Great Wolf Lodge and had a great experience. We stayed on a Wednesday. When we arrived at 2pm we were able to check into our room since it was ready. Our room was just a standard family suite, however it was on the 4th floor, so we had nice vaulted ceilings which gave the room a bigger feeling. The bathroom lighting is very dim but other than that the room was clean and nice. The waterpark is great! Both my husband and I had just as much fun as the kids, ages 13, 10 and 9. The lifegaurds on duty were very nice and great with the kids. They were everywhere and changed areas often so they were always re-freshed and alert. Although the cost of the room can be expensive, we were able to get a great special when staying during the week. I would recommend checking the internet for specails for the hotel as it is high priced, but I think for the experience it was worth it. I would NOT STAY on a weekend as I can see that it would be very busy. During the week the park was not as busy and no lines for the slides. We ate at the restaurant instead of the pool area. The kids ate for free with paid adult meal and it was great food. Less expensive than the pool area. Staff was great at the restaurant and it was nice to get away from the pool for a little while. Try to stay away from the game room. Overpriced for "junk toys" the kids won with tickets.

16  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Scott AFB, Illinois
Reviewed 9 February 2005

We got an excellent rate deal and thoroughly enjoyed ourselves! Arrived on a Tuesday during off-peak season. If there was 40 people in the waterpark I'd be shocked. We essentially had the run of the place. Our kids, 2, 7, 10 had a FANTASTIC time as did the adults! There is something for everybody. We did bring our own towels (we're a bit bigger so we bring our own). The only downfall was the Bison burgers...not a big hit with my husband LOL! I cannot say enough praise for this place! After we'd got home my 7yo said he wished he'd had got a stuffed wolf as a souvenier. I called and they took my order over the phone and mailed it with a wonderful letter. KUDOS to the management of this facility. I work in the hotel industry and wish I lived closer so I could apply to work in such a fabulous place!

8  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 27 January 2005

My credit-card was double-billed even after I specifically advised the front desk of the reservation being prepaid at check-in. Required 20 minutes on hold with their 800 number a week later to resolve.

The kids story-time and the clock performance were pointless because you could not hear anything. Shania Twain was allowed to blast from the PA system in the lobby through the duration of both the scheduled presentations for the kids.

Many of the common areas external to the water park were not properly heated. The room lacked adaquate lighting and was dark and depressing. The game room area should be free given the expense of the room rates charged. Instead, everything is set-up to deliberately bleed the visitor of as much cash as possible.

On balance however, the kids had a blast, especially since the lodge was nearly deserted. No mystery why it was deserted, at least not to this visitor. If you have considered going to The Great Wolf Lodge, I would suggest making the trip soon as I won't be surprised to learn the lodge is in receivership within the next few years given how poorly it is operated.

7  Thank princeofwaldo
Paris,New york
Reviewed 25 January 2005

It was awsome at first when I walked in I'm like I could spend a week here.But sadly we were only spending one night but it was a night I will NEVER forget!The water park was awsome and the fudge was soo good!I also am such a kid I loved the arcade in there I got so many things it was like chucky cheeses only 1000 times better!I may be going there again and this time I'm going to stay there for three days.

7  Thank A TripAdvisor Member