“Everyone had a blast!”

Ranked #5 of 21 Hotels in Kansas City
Omaha, NE
“Everyone had a blast!”
Reviewed 17 July 2005

My husband and I took our 17-month old daughter on our first family vacation to the Great Wolf Lodge in Kansas City. My father, step-mother and 8-year-old sister also joined us.

We stayed 3 nights, 4 days and had a wonderful time. The room that we stayed in was called the Loft Fireplace suite and I believe it is one of the nicer rooms in this hotel. These rooms are located on the fourth floor and I am not sure I would want to stay on any other floor than that one! We had one of the rooms that I think everyone else complains about. The room has a large staircase that leads up to a small bedroom and second bathroom. I can't imagine what it must be like to stay in a room directly below a staircase room. I thought the staircase was loud, and I was in the room! The main floor of the room has two beds, a bathroom and livingroom area with a fireplace. There are 3 televisons in this particular room, and a large balcony that overlooks the outdoor pool area. Maid service came everyday around 10:30 and the room was very clean and well stocked. This room had a mini-fridge, microwave, bar area with a sink, coffee maker, coffee mugs, etc. The room number was 417.

The price of your room includes your all-day passes to the waterpark. The park is great for people of all ages! My little sister spent the entire time on the waterslides and my 17-month-old played in the baby pool area. They also have a lazy river, water fort, whirlpools and lots of other things to do.

The hotel holds activities all day long to keep the kids bsuy. They have T-shirt painting, coloring paper sack pupets, painting magnets, bingo, and lots of other crafts.

We dumped a lot of money into the Northern Lights Arcade. It is a good-sized arcade with lots of games that give out tickets for prizes, as well as air hockey, rides for the smaller kids and video games.

We ate the breakfast buffet every morning at Camp Critter, which is on the second floor. They serve sausage, bacon, tater tots, pancakes, french toast, doughnuts, muffins, an array of fruit, scrambled eggs, biscuits and gravy, cereal and they have a made-to-order omelett station.

The Bear Claw Cafe is also on the second floor and offers sweet items. Lots of fudge, candy, pastries, cakes, icecream and coffee drinks. Your kids will be drawn to this area like a magnet!

I was surprised at how clean this hotel was. I assumed there would be no way they could keep a hotel with a waterpark inside of it, clean. They must really go to work once the park closes for the night, because it was very well maintained. The waterpark closes at 10pm and then it is pretty much lights out for this hotel. They cater to kids and that is why we went. If my daughter is having a good day, I am having a good day.

For those of you with little ones, like me, this is a good place for you. Typically, smaller children need atleast one nap during the day or they can get a little cranky. You will never feel stranded in some huge amusement park with a 10-minute walk to the gates followed by the search for your car and then a long drive to your hotel. When my daughter got cranky and needed a nap, I just got in the elevator and we were in our room in two minutes! That is awesome! When she was up and refreshed, we just got back in the elevator and rejoined the group!

I will definitely go back to The Great Wolf Lodge in Kansas City. And take the advice of the reviewer before me, try and get the fourth floor!

• Stayed July 2005
17 Thank gracieloo

Solo
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (218)
St. Louis
Reviewed 14 July 2005

This was our third visit to a Great Wolf Lodge. Our first was in 2001 in Wisconsin, the last two, in July of 2004 and just this week (July of 2005), were at the Great Wolf Lodge in KC.

First, let me comment on the problems. Someone else wrote that the lifeguards were great. In general, most of the guards appeared to be attentive and courteous. However, on more than one occassion, we encountered a guard who was clearly not paying attention or was bored. In one case, a guard at the two water slides under the big bucket, was actually falling asleep as he leaned against the side of the structure! We were really shocked because if he isn't paying attention and an adult or larger child goes down the slide too soon, any poor little child is going to be wiped out. As the father of a rather small little girl, age 6, I was understandably frustrated by this. On another occassion, at the outside pool, a guard completely missed a very young child in distress, even missing the parent jump in to assist the child. It seemed that the company was trying to save money on guards as there were instances where the outdoor guard stations were not completely staffed and the slides on which you use tubes, only had one guard running back and forth between the green and blue slides, which also meant the lines were a lot longer and you had to wait. One other guard was a little condescending (at the ripe age of maybe 18!). Bottom line: If you go, please keep an eye on your children as the guards, generally good, have their lapses.

Second point, the noise factor in the rooms. One of the other reviewers mentioned this same issue. Let me tell you, it is an issue. We stayed in a room and the banging and thudding from above, was unbelievable. There was literally dust filtering down from the ceiling as a result of the shaking. It was jarring at times. I complained and while the front desk was extremely respectful and attentive, they tried to tell me the room above was not occupied. Now, if this is true, then the noise was coming from a room contiguous to the room directly above ours. Either way, it was just ridiculous. SOLUTION: Ask for a room on the fourth floor.

Now for the good. This is a great place to spend a few days. The resort itself is generally clean and well kept. The guards, while not 100% attentive are at least very visible and generally well-mannered. There is a large game arcade which the kids enjoyed. There is an Aveda Spa which I visited last year and had a great massage. The outdoor pool has a convenient bar with plenty of drinks to choose from. There are plenty of options for children of all ages. The water park itself has all kinds of things to do.

Also, the surrounding area has a LOT to do as well. Several restaurants are within about 1 mile. There is a Cabelas, the Nebraska Furniture Mart (very cool), the T-Bones - a minor league baseball team, and, under construction, a huge mall with a multi-screen theatre coming. If you want to spend a little time outdoors, the Wyandotte Lake County Park is about 4 miles away. It has a 300 acre lake and I ran around the lake in the morning (about a 7 mile run) which was absolutely beautiful. If you like to take the kids fishing, this would be another option. Bottom line: There is a lot to do if you get bored with the water park.

We will be back next year. If the guards are improved and the noise factor is addressed, my rating will be higher.

• Stayed July 2005
17 Thank Billikens
Reviewed 2 June 2005

Our family of five was very excited at the prospect of spending three days at the Great Wolf Lodge. Although the published room rate for the Kid Cabin suite was well over $300 a night, a quick phone call to their 800 number allowed me to reserve it for $260.00 a night.

The Kid Cabin suite is features a "log cabin" for kids inside the room. Complete with bunk beds, a twin bed and their own TV, we thought its would be well worth the extra money.

We were told we could arrive at 1:00 to play in the waterpark, but would not receive our room until 4. However, when we arrived at 2, our room was ready and waiting.

The room was clean and featured all the items you'd expect: coffee pot, refrigerator, hair dryer, iron, etc. It also had a gas fireplace and a balcony. However, in the bathroom there was less than half a roll of TP and after asking for more, waited until the next day to receive it.

The waterpark is the star of the show and every kid's dream. It appeared to be clean and even with the astonishingly large number of children in the park, well managed. Their website at www.GreatWolfLodge.com offers a virtual tour if you're interested.

Initially I was concerned at the ages of the lifeguards keeping watch over the kids. It seemed clear that if there were a lifeguard over the age of twenty-five, they were hidden away somewhere. However, after watching these young men and women for three days, I was amazed at the level of training I came to realize they certainly had received. Each and every one without exception kept their heads turning and their eyes sweeping in a constant, fluid motion over their designated areas. Frankly, I waited to see one of them goofing off or staring into space. It did not happen. When they did have to correct a guest with a a blow of the whistle, they were always courteous but firm.

My son scraped his knee in the lazy river and he and I went to the lifeguard station to ask for a bandage. The young woman there put on her gloves and took over caring for him. She cleaned and dressed his little wound and told him to feel free to come back if the bandages came loose.

In my opinion, the waterpark and staff get five stars. It couldn't have been a more positive experience.

There is a snack shop inside the park where you can pick up some quickie snacks and even frozen marguerita's. They are expensive though and compare to what you might pay at a theme park.

Before we left for the hotel, I read that the hotel had been cited for violations of the Kansas Food Code by the KDHE (Kansas Department of Health and Environment). In fact, the KDHE had gone so far as to issue a Notice of Intent to Suspend the hotel's restaurant known as Camp Critters Bar & Grill. To paraphrase, that means that KDHE will possibly shut down the restaurant for a period of time unless and until violations are resolved, or temporarily as a means of punishment, for lack of a better word.

This was a concern for me and so I emailed the company asking whether the restaurant was going to be closed. I didn't want to take my family to eat somewhere that wasn't clean and I didn't really like the idea of staying in a hotel that cared so little about cleanliness.

Although I did not receive a response from the staff prior to our trip, I did receive a personal phone call from the General Manager of the property, Mr. Russell J. Archuleta after we arrived. In a nutshell, he took the time to explain point by point each violation and how he and his staff were working to correct it. I appreciated the fact that he did not excuse the violations, nor did he blame them on his staff. To the contrary, he said, "This is my ship and ultimately I am responsible". My husband and I made the decision to forego a meal at the restaurant this trip, but feel sure that if we visit again Mr. Archuleta will have completely resolved this matter to the satisfaction of the KDHE.

The kids also loved the arcade, which I was glad to see was no more expensive than any other arcade. The teenagers working there were very sweet to the hoards of kids swarming around and there was a fabulous selection of games for all ages.

The hotel also offers a little snack shop that offers fudge, Krispy Kreme donuts and Starbucks coffee, to name only a few things. If you want a donut you'd better be there by 630 when they open, or you can forget it. The staff there said all donuts are gone by 7 at the latest.

After spending hours and hours in a waterpark, a guest would hope to return to their room for a nice, peaceful night's sleep. In our case, that wasn't to be. I have stayed in any number of hotels across this country and abroad, but without question, our room at the Great Wolf Lodge was the noisiest room I've ever had the misfortune to visit.

It sounded like a herd of African elephants had rented the room above us and would come crashing through the ceiling at any moment. So forceful was the shaking that the light fixture in the Kid's Cabin shook and rattled so much the kids would scream because they thought something was falling.

The first evening I called Guest Services and complained. My complaint was met with a "so what" kind of attitude and I was told it was probably just some kids jumping around. but they'd call up there and see what they could do. Maybe when some people spend $260.00 a night, they don't mind feeling like they are sleeping in a No Tell Motel down by the airport, but I really, really mind.

We were awake until after midnight with the horrible noise and awake by 6 when our upstairs neighbors woke up. Factor in that our kids were woken up several times after falling asleep by their light fixture shaking and you can guess how we all felt the next day.

By 5 pm that day when we came up to change for supper, the noises were still terrible. My husband decided to visit with the front desk staff face to face and ask them to please do something. He was told that our room was directly underneath a suite with stairs and a loft and that kids typically run up and down the stairs and jump off them. He was also told that they would do what they could to try to resolve the problem. No offer was made to move us to a quieter area.

Unfortunately, we were again up until after midnight and periodically throughout the night. At shortly after 6 am, I was awoken by the shaking of the ceiling again and loud thumps. We laid there for awhile trying to go back to sleep, but as they were awake upstairs, we were bound to be awake in our room. I called Guest Services again and this time I was a very unhappy guest. I told them I couldn't believe we had spent nearly three hundred dollars a night for a room and we had barely slept. I was told they'd make a note of that.

No apology. No offer to compensate. Very poor customer service, in my opinion. Whether a design flaw or terribly loud guests, the Lodge should have cared that we were not happy and done whatever was necessary to make sure we were. If you visit, do yourself a favor and make sure you specify that you do not want a room underneath a Wolf Den suite.

If you're a couple looking for a nice getaway, the Great Wolf Lodge is definitely not for you. This is a place designed for families with kids and kids really, really love it. A relatively new property, they do have some kinks to work out in some areas of customer service.

• Stayed May 2005
49 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 15 May 2005

Despite offering meeting rooms and catering service, this is NOT a business hotel. The food was quite acceptable, but not on time. The meeting room service throughout the day (refilling water, cleaning up after a meal, or break) was very lacking. There is NO high speed internet connections (wired or wireless) available in the rooms or in the meeting rooms.

The rooms were adequate, in good repair and acceptably clean. However, this is a fairly new facility and the room condition is substandard given the age.

As a destination for a family with young (3 - 12 yoa) children this would be an entertaining and child friendly facility, especially if the weather was such that outdoor activities were limited.

• Stayed May 2005, travelled on business
7 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 9 May 2005

We travel a lot with our children and usually stay in upper end hotels -- this can be a positive and a negative when traveling with children. I needed to stay in Kansas with my boys (ages 6, 8, and 8) for two days to attend a memorial service. I wanted to find something fun for them to do since we had a day to wait around until the service and found the Great Wolf Lodge.
I was a bit worried about some of the reviews, but decided to chance it.

I was incredible impressed in all ways! The hotel was very clean and the staff was extremely sweet and always asking us if they could do anything for us or get us anything. From the front desk staff to the water park staff, we were impressed with the friendly manner and the willingness to help.

The large room was extremely affordable and like new and very clean-- slept five adults and three kids for less than $300 and we got six passes to the water park plus the kitchenette -- one bathroom was a stretch, but we had three very separate sleeping areas and so I cannot complain for the cost. The bathroom lighting was dark, but I was not doing surgery in there.

The food was delicious and very inexpensive -- I assumed that the food would be pricey since we were captive in the water park. No, the food was reasonable and quite tasty for chicken strips and pina coltas.

The water park staff was extremely professional and always on guard . After 8 hours in the park, I was really tired following the kids so I let the older boys leave my eye sight because by then I was convinced that the staff had all the water under their control. It is a high energy place and I never sat down.

The show in the lobby was cute and my six year old enjoyed the wolf character who was walking around during the brunch -- inexpensive and quite good. The gift shop was also vast with clothes, jewerly, toys, household items -- some really nice things and I usually don't like hotel gift shops.

The only negative was that I paid for the room with a credit/debit card and so they would not let me charge food to my room bill. I could use the card at snack shop or the water park, but had to purchase food on the spot. I would have liked one bill with everything itemized. Annoying, but this was really the only downside of the trip.

We will definately go to another Great Wolf Lodge again.

• Stayed May 2005, travelled on business
12 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 8 May 2005

We took our two children, ages 5 and 2, to the Great Wolf Lodge along with my sister and brother-in law, whose children are 6 and 2. The kids can not stop talking about the place, they loved it so much. All they do now is ask when we can go back to Great Wolf Lodge.

We never did eat at the hotel as their are plenty of restaurants around the hotel that offer better value (might I suggest authentic, top-notch BBQ at Arthur Bryants as opposed to the chain, Famous Daves).

I would not recommend the hotel for couples going to KC without children as there are plenty of better choices for the money in the Plaza area, however, if you want to have a great time with your kids, it is well worth the price.

• Stayed April 2005
6 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Wichita, KS
Reviewed 29 April 2005

The only attraction here is the waterpark! Rooms are very basic for the money. Staff is poorly trained and focused on all the wrong things. Silly rules like only one thin towel per person while children run screaming through the waterpark. There were no extra blankets for the sofa bed "some people take 6 blankets" so there were none for us. I was questioned about the fact that I didn't have a wristband while sitting reading a book in street clothes watching my children inside the waterpark. Like I'd come there to relax and read??? Food is terrible, overpriced and the staff is uninformed and rude..

Showers and bathrooms are utilitarian, not even a soap dish. Towels are paper thin, our door lock didn't work --the staff acknowleged that "oh yeah! the lock is broken".. I could go on but there is no point. There was a 40 minute wait for brunch, when we were seated half the place was empty. I could go on, but no point. Stay away!

Stayed April 2005