“Romantic Hotel - No Kids Allowed”

Chateau Avalon Hotel & Spa
Ranked #9 of 21 Hotels in Kansas City
“Romantic Hotel - No Kids Allowed”
Reviewed 30 March 2014

My Wife and I were looking for a night away from children and this unique hotel fit the bill as kids are not allowed and each room is setup for couples only. The rooms are themed with various rooms related to egypt, western, venetian, etc.. We will definitely head back as the staff was very friendly from setting up restaurant reservations, shuttles and great adult beverages made and even delivered to your room. Breakfast is included and is delivered to the room. The only negative is that it was cold. However, we will be heading back as I know they will get that resolved.

Room Tip: Look on the web for various deals ...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Laura T, Front Office Manager at Chateau Avalon Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 12 April 2014
Craig K -

Thank you so much for taking the time to write a review on your recent stay with us! I am pleased to hear that we lived up to your expectations, our staff was so accommodating and of course, that you will be returning! We are looking forward to welcoming you back and plan on making your experience better than the last time!

Laura

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (80)
Topeka, Kansas
Reviewed 23 March 2014

Don't use a third party to reserve your room if you want a specific room theme. My mother reserved a room as a surprise for my husband and I to celebrate my 40th birthday. She visited the hotel a week prior to our stay and picked a special room for us. She was not informed of this policy.by the hotel staff when they toured the rooms and she made her selection. If someone books directly through the hotel then they can bump you out of your room. Instead of the classical Hemingway Room we slept aboard a ship in the Castaway Room. Ahoy Maties!

Also- don't expect a lot out of breakfast. The fruit that came with my husband's selection were pears straight out of a can. The muffin that came with with mine was the size of a quarter and was hard and dry.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Marc T
Dear Mark T -

I apologize that your stay was not what you had anticipated but I would like to thank you for your feedback on your online travel agent experience you encountered and the breakfast. With guests like you we know what to focus on and improve on immediately and we are so appreciative of that! Please contact me directly so I can personally address your concerns - laurat@chateauavalonhotel.com I look forward to hearing from you!

Overland Park, Kansas
Reviewed 11 March 2014

We had just gotten married and my wife and I had the opportunity to visit this hotel as a gift. We were very excited to visit, after looking through all of the pictures of the establishment. We were not let down with the quality of the room we stayed in (Tuscany) and the service and friendly atmosphere the host provided for our time here. Make sure you ask for Brenna* as she took great care of our needs! We will definitely come back again!

• Stayed March 2014
Laura T, Guest Relations Manager at Chateau Avalon Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 14 March 2014
Dear boostedtsi,

Congratulations on getting married! We are so happy that you enjoyed everything throughout your stay and we hope to welcome you back sometime! Maybe for your anniversary? We will be sure to pass on the compliments to the front desk ambassador that assisted you! Have a beautiful weekend and thank you for the wonderful review!

Kansas City, Missouri
Reviewed 26 February 2014

We had been told that this would be a great place to celebrate our Anniv. So we book a 2 nite stay. First of all our room wasn't ready by 4pm them on our second nite stay we were called to tell us that we would be moving to another room due to the room that we were to be in was ready we stated that we really didn't want to move so they let us stay in our room. In the process our room was never serviced, no clean towels etc. When we returned to the hotel around 7pm we called front desk about getting some clean towels the front desk stated that they were really under staff and that the housekeeping staff was gone for the nite, she was able to get us some clean towels but didn't have the menu for breakfast, 2 hours later I had to go and get the menu from the front desk. To top it off when packing our bags we were unable to find our camera so I called the front desk to talk with the manager about the camera and she stated that there was a camera at the front desk supposable the housekeeper thought that we had left it but remember we never received service on our room. Finally when the front desk supervisor was confronted about all of the problems during our stay she became very defensive. We were very disappointed in our whole stay for the amount of money that you have pay to stay there. Very sad that the staff continually tells clients that they are so under staff and or that its been a crazy day.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank steve4530
Laura T, Guest Relations Manager at Chateau Avalon Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 7 March 2014
steve4530 -

I would like to apologize to both you and your wife once again for the inconveniences of your room not being room serviced. I feel absolutely horrible that we weren't able to meet your expectations so we took care of the remaining balance owed for the lack of your room not being serviced & the camera incident. I would also like to apologize again about the camera, mistakes do happen and the fact you were staying two nights somehow slipped through the cracks since it needed to be on two separate reservations, which shouldn't of happened. It showed you were checked out and our Kitchen Supervisor went in to get the breakfast tray and noticed your camera sitting there. Thinking you guys had departed, he brought it straight up to the front desk and I locked it away in our lost and found. It's very unfortunate that you had to encounter these inconveniences and that they ruined your stay. I as well as everyone else that you have talked to are still sincerely sorry and we are making sure to remind everyone on our procedures and being more observant so this doesn't happen again.

Kansas City, Mo.
Reviewed 24 February 2014

My wife picked this place for a weekend getaway for the two of us. She went for the cheaper room so we stayed in one of the Havana rooms, 109. I definitely would not recommend one of these rooms. It was incredibly small with barely enough room between the bed and tub. It had one small table and a night stand. The decor consisted of one small fake palm tree and a couple of pictures of palm trees. The bed was very comfortable but the pillars blocked the big screen TV that was mounted high near the ceiling. They loan out dvd players for free but the cables were only 3 feet long so there was no place to set the dvd player with the TV 7 feet in the air. I finally wedged it in the TV bracket while standing on a wicker chair. We ordered dinners of chicken skewers and crab cakes which were very good. We were getting some noise from other rooms but not too bad.
We did look in some of the other more expensive rooms and they looked great. Next time we won't cheap out. I was impressed with this place just not the room we chose. Take the tour to find the best deal.

Room Tip: Don't pick the cheaper rooms. Especially the Havana rooms.
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. I am so sorry to hear about your disappointment and that we weren't able to meet your expectations. We do train our front desk ambassadors to advise our guests about the DVD players, as we upgraded the TV's to flat screens some of the rooms lost the option of a DVD player. In addition we do pay for multiple channels of HBO and some of the rooms can accommodate the DVD players more efficiently. I apologize that you weren't adequately informed! I hope that your next stay with us we will be able to better meet your needs and make your stay much more comfortable.

Thanks again for feedback and we look forward to welcoming you back!

Birmingham
Reviewed 24 February 2014

Don't be deceived by pics of the exterior, nor the AAA rating (shame on you AAA), nor the fact that this hotel was chosen as a KC visitor favorite!! All I can say is those KC visitors that rated this place so highly must be some of NASCAR's finest (the speedway is just across the street) Either that, or they're loyal patrons of the casino, just across the street as well. This place screams CHEAP, TACKY, TAWDRY from the minute you walk in!! Exterior waste/ ashtray receptacle loaded with cigarette butts just to welcome you! Inside, cheap wine, a glass rose dipped in gold you can purchase for your sweetie for $99 to set the mood. I could go on, but I think you get the picture. In the room --which, by the way, have paper-thin walls and you can hear every word of the conversation in the next room -- you will find no place to sit your luggage, multicolored lights in your Jacuzzi (woohoo!) no cabinet of any kind, dusty old plants, cheap linens, cheap, tiny bath, Not Even a Headboard on the bed!! This felt more like a truck stop than the "luxury " destination it is touted to be! Couldn't wait to leave, get home and bathe!

Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
3 Thank knightlife
Dear knightlife-

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel! I am so sorry to hear about your disappointment & that we weren't able to come close to exceeding your expectations. I will be sure to share these concerns with the rest of management and our staff. Thanks again and I hope you have a wonderful weekend!

Topeka, Kansas
Reviewed 18 February 2014

The hotel itself is ok the room needs some updates, plants look old and dusty, and the bed seems extra small with cheap looking linens ! The tub in the Castaway room is very hard to get in and out of, it seems it could potentially be dangerous.The walls here are very thin at least in the room we are in!! You can hear people clear as day word for word. The people next door have a few toddlers with them, sounded like a children's party and are playing in the tub at 9pm and again at 11pm. This was pretty ridiculous!! This put a major damper on this evening! I understand this is not the hotels fault. I mean how would they know people would keep their children up all night? I didn't even know couples could bring their kids here.

• Stayed February 2014
Dear Have2Bpicky -

Thank you for giving us your feedback! I would like to apologize for the issues you encountered that disrupted your recent stay with us. Anyone under the age of 21 is typically not allowed here. Under certain circumstances we make allowances but many times they slip in and we have no knowledge of children being here or being disruptive to other guests unless an employee hears them or guests inform us of the disturbances. Regardless I am sorry this ruined your night away and we will make conscious efforts to make ourselves more aware of disturbances like this so it hopefully doesn't happen to others in the future.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Kansas City
Best Western Premier KC Speedway Inn & Suites
Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Kansas City at Village West
Residence Inn Kansas City at The Legends
Comfort Suites Speedway - Kansas City
The Raphael Hotel, Autograph Collection
Hampton Inn Kansas City / Village West

Been to Chateau Avalon Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!