“Was hoping for more”

Price range: US$5 - US$15
Cuisines: Barbecue
Good for: Child-friendly, Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner
Description: Woodyard BBQ is situated in an old house in an old working woodyard. There is an awesome outdoor brick patio with our brick smoker adjacent. This is combined with a cool wooden deck, an inside room with AC and heat and our BRAND new beer garden. This place is the real deal. Come say hi!
Reviewed 19 June 2014

I have had Woodyard BBQ on my list for several years after seeing it on several television programs. We finally decided to go a couple of weeks ago on a Saturday night. Arrived about 7pm to find the place fairly crowed. Most of the picnic tables were taken and the smoker was hard at work. The place smelled awesome. It was a beautiful evening to sit outside and listen to the free entertainment of blues music. We ended up ordering pork ribs, pulled pork, fries & beans. Having eaten at many KC BBQ joints, I was disappointed that I will have to cross this place off the list of go-to joints in the future. The ribs seemed to be over-smoked. The meat was generally good but some pieces seemed to be a bit fatty compared to other places. The pulled pork was dry and needed quite a bit of sauce to make it better. The fries are the small shoe-string fries but the oil had a different taste....might have been old.....don't really know. The gold-standard for beans is Jack Stack so I am usually disappointed when I try them other places. These were average and had a litle spicy kick to them.

Reviewed 17 June 2014

I was very dissappointed. I felt the meat was oversmoked, just for the sake of being "smoked". Burnt ends were fatty, pulled pork was just ok, wings were rubbery, and ribs were decent, but again fatty.

I should have known when I pulled in at 6PM and I was one of 2 cars in the lot, but went in anyway based on reviews. I should have left, when I saw I was the only one there. There is a reason I was the only one there.

Much better BBQ to have in KC!

Reviewed 13 June 2014

Woodyard BBQ will never win a Martha Stewart for decorating. It redefines basic. Same goes for plate presentation. The focus is on the food. Ribs are perfectly done, very smoky, chicken wings are also cooked to perfection, although the soft skin might be less appealing to some. Some people might be annoyed by the fact that the meat is put on the plate without any sauce. SO by themselves, they can be a tad dry. But the Woodyard bbq sauces, (mild or hot) are excellent. It is a typical Kansas style BBQ experience, and the smell of different burning woods is a plus. And the fries are thin, crispy and delicious.

Reviewed 12 June 2014

Woodyard has moved in to my top two KC BBQ destinations. Give the ribs and a cold Pabst longneck a try. You won't be disappointed.
If you're a fish lover the salmon will be a delight.
What a great Midwestern Fall dining opportunity out on the deck with a cool breeze.
Definitely give it a try.

Reviewed 10 June 2014 via mobile

I am not a huge BBQ fan but even I thought the food here was great. My mother and father, who love BBQ loved it. Staff was very friendly and the atmosphere was fun.