“Nice, quiet and good prices”
Review of Virginia Inn

Virginia Inn
Ranked #5 of 18 Hotels in Lawrence
Reviewed 6 June 2014

My first stay in a motel and it was quite positive. Very nice room with jacuzzi. While the place was full, I had not disturbance from other patrons. Centrally located with easy access to stores and the downtown area. I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank Becky K

Reviewed 1 June 2014

We needed an inexpensive, yet clean place to lay our head for one night after a wedding and we found it. It was very easy to reserve the room and it was very easy to find. Do not be fooled by the exterior...it's old and not very pretty. Our room was perfect for my family of 4, 2 adults, and 2 kids. It was roomy and clean. It had a mini refrigerator and the A/C worked great! There was a big flat screen TV with lots of channels. The shower pressure was great. The decor was dated but it was clean and well kept. The front office staff was very pleasant. They offered free wifi in the rooms and free breakfast in the front office. We did not have breakfast but we did see it and there wasn't much but it was something. I would definitely stay here again for short trips.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank ashpyle
Reviewed 29 May 2014

I said "brilliant" and I mean it. The place is so well run that it almost defies description. In our case we were knocked out by the spacious, clean and well appointed room....at half the price of a Holiday Inn or comparable motels. But there is more. I had damaged my RV and needed to make some temporary repairs to the roof. The owner and his wife located me an 8 foot ladder and supplies for the repairs. And they shouted encouragement as I crawled over the roof. By the time I was finished I had lost all my shock over the damage - and had subscribed to their view that damage can be repaired - its lucky that I had not been injured.

So, find another motel where its appointed with Birdeye Maple cabinets, large beds, clean as a pin and the owners become life coaches in an instant.

Thanks Sonny for your successful efforts in turning around an old motel.

Room Tip: We stayed in 139...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
4  Thank Leicaglass
Reviewed 19 April 2014

My mother and I were traveling cross country on a budget and chose this place based on price alone. Little did we know that we were about to be spoiled! The beds were incredibly comfortable, with four (!!!!) fluffy pillows per soft, comfy bed. The shower had a huge waterfall showerhead with great pressure. The TV was huge and had a bajillion channels. Though the building is obviously older, the updates were fantastic. Overall I could not believe how nice the place was -- I've stayed in places that cost three times as much that didn't even compare. If I ever find myself in Lawrence again I would stay here in a heartbeat!

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank Shawna J
Reviewed 31 March 2014

This place is amazing. We payed a total of $74 for a king-bed suite which had an in-room jacuzzi. The jacuzzi was wonderful, and the room was beautiful. Granite-tiled floors (but plenty of rugs), large space, comfortable bed, wonderful AC. I wish they were a chain because I would stay here in every city!

Room Tip: Get a king suite- it's totally worth it!
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Allison A
Reviewed 16 February 2014

I booked through the hotel and was skeptical until I read the reviews on Tripadvisor... This place is a hidden gem! Don't be fooled by the outside... The rooms are Wonderful! Updated and spotless we stayed in room 137. Features: iron and board, coffee maker, big TV with many channels, microwave, fridge, super sized bathroom with shower/tub combo... super duper water pressure and fancy showerhead.... This place had it all... continental breakfast at the office even though they don't advertise it... Don't be ripped off by all the franchise hotels overpiced rooms in Lawrence... Stay at the Virginia Inn

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 11 February 2014

I selected Virginia Inn because of the tripadvisor reviews and also because it was close to where my mother lives in Lawrence. We arrived on Friday morning and advised that we needed to change our reservation from 4 nights to 2 nights. The owners/managers were great about this. The room on the second floor was large and clean with ample closet space. With the desk and a table, it was easy to work and spread out. The tile floors were very nice. It was very, very cold this past weekend but our room was warm and we really liked being able to control the temperature. Great shower with a waterfall shower head.
The parking lot had been cleared of snow and there were people still working on removing more--not true everywhere in town.
I will go back the next time I am in Lawrence.
And there is a really good Kobe steak and sushi restaurant next to the Virginia Inn.

Nostalgia Point: I grew up in Lawrence and remember when the Virginia Inn was built--it was really the first of its kind then and built very solidly, which shows even today. There was a contest to name it--my grandmother won the contest with the Name of Virginia Inn--Virginia was the name of the daughter of the man who built the inn. I think she had died and this was a way of having her memory live on. And it has.

Room Tip: We like being on the second floor and heard no noise either night we stayed there. The first floor...
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family