“Happy experience, good value, rural Kansas charm”

Victorian Veranda Country Inn
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Lawrence
Victorian Veranda Country Inn
Ranked #2 of 3 Lawrence B&B and Inns
Reviewed 4 August 2013

My daughter's wedding was a great success at the Victorian Veranda Inn. We found the owners and staff to be welcoming, helpful and responsive to requests. We all enjoyed the breakfast provided, especially the excellent quality fresh fruit (I did not try the biscuits and gravy, but others in our party said they were good,) and the absence of bacon, eggs, etc. was not a problem for me. Nor was I bothered by the passing trains at night (I never travel without Hearos soft foam earplugs, as I always assume there will be some source of noise in a hotel!) and no trains happened to pass by during the outdoor ceremony.

The interior of the inn was clean and attractive, and the room my husband and I had was comfortable, though not as spacious as you would expect in a modern hotel chain such as Hampton Inn. Our room was too hot the first night (I don't think anyone else in our party had this problem), but the owner was very apologetic the following morning and corrected the problem. Nevertheless, I much prefer a room where I have control of the thermostat!

The ceremony in the garden was lovely, with lots of flowers in bloom. We were lucky with the weather (apart from the ubiquitous Kansas wind) and our photographer was able to use the rural Kansas setting to good effect. But it occurs to me that, had it been raining, attractive options for taking photos might have been limited indoors.

The reception room in the big barn worked well for our wedding party (about eighty people in all.) We were able to make it look festive very easily, the day before the wedding, by hanging brightly colored paper lanterns from the wires provided, and by placing colorful cloths and fake floral centerpieces on the tables (no candles allowed in this venue.) The music had to stop by 11:00 pm, which was fine by me (it had been a long day by then!) but might be considered too early by some. The reception room is on the upper floor of the converted barn, and I think I am correct in saying that there is no elevator in the building. So this venue would probably not be a good choice if you expect to have disabled or very elderly guests unable to walk upstairs.

Overall, a very happy experience and also a great value for money compared with some other venues the couple considered.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Denise H
There are newer reviews for Victorian Veranda Country Inn

Reviewed 16 June 2013

We stayed at this location for a family wedding. After entering the home, I was overcome by the odor of mothballs. The décor is Victorian on steroids....so if that is you thing you will love all the lace, flowers, and pastel colors.

There was no bottled water of any kind or any kind of welcoming atmosphere when we arrived. It was decent, but nothing special that most people are looking who frequent B and B.

By far, the most distinctive aspect of the B and B was the trains. The tracks are located about 1/8 of a mile for the house. Every 20 minutes (we timed them!) a train goes by...loudly blaring their horn. This includes the hours between 10pm and 6am! ALL.NIGHT.LONG. At 2:30am I knew I could not sleep. I was forced to go into Lawrence to stay at the Hampton Inn.

Unfortunately, the wedding party was staying at the location and some did not sleep AT ALL. How sad that the mother of the bride was completely exhausted the next day for the wedding. When asking the owner about the trains, he said it wasn't a big deal because most guests are staying because of a wedding and won't come back to repeat a stay. For the owner, this seems to be a pretty cold statement. We wish we would have been forewarned about the trains,....

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled solo
2  Thank jennifer m
Reviewed 12 May 2013

The Inn is a beautiful location in need of some grounds maintenance. The facility is more than lovely for a wedding, The owners are far more concerned with liability and money than making their guests feel welcome and comfortable at their establishment. I fully appreciate being present to be helpful but sitting in the corners and watching a wedding party that is small, intimate and very well behaved was ridiculous. My family used to operate a bed and breakfast and a beautiful hot breakfast along with lively conversation and the comfort of our guests was our primary concern. Additionally, blinds that are broken and other safety items were be of far more concern to me as an owner rather than whether my mature wedding party (we were not teenagers at a prom) was potentially sneaking in a bottle of champagne.

Beautiful location but the atmosphere needs to be greatly improved. I would never chose to be chaperoned by strangers during such an intimate event and I expect a breakfast worthy of a bed andvbreakfast not something I could get at a local chain hotel.

Room Tip: All the rooms are really nice
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank Jackie L
Reviewed 5 July 2012

I recently attend a beautiful outdoor wedding at the Victorian Veranda Country Inn north of Lawrence, KS. The temperatures have been a steady 105-108 the past few weeks, but the wedding garden was nicely shaded with a wonderful breeze at 6:00 pm on July 3rd. The garden was decorated wonderfully by very well planted landscape. A bird cage with two white doves greeted the guests entering the garden. As the wedding began white doves flew over the garden and encircled it for the rest of the wedding. The reception was next door in a gorgeous renovated barn.

This was simply a wonderful venue for a wedding. It would be equally as nice for a family reunion or other parties.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank TheBoysGrandma
Reviewed 20 October 2010

We had our wedding their and reception their. Their are animals roaming the property freely and a cat that is loose in the guest part of the bed and breakfast. It scratched and drew blood on my mother. The rehearsal dinner is way over priced and she invited people that were not eating to come and eat and encouraged people that were bat the dinner to throw away there dinner plates for clean dessert plates. We found out when came time to check out that she had counted the paper plates (charging per plate and not by person) and tried to over-charge us $500 extra for a not worth it to begin with meal. We paid $1800 for 32-35 people large amount were kids, for a meal that she had prepared at the local grocery store -a roast, some vegetables and fruit cocktail served out of tin serving dishes. Beverly was very rude to the guest that stayed in the house. They also did not replenish the water once it ran out. Very dishonest business-nice place but very dishonest!

• Stayed: September 2010
1  Thank mickeroma722
Reviewed 20 September 2010

My daughter's wedding was delighful. The combination wedding garden, 13-room B&B, and reception barn met our needs for a reasonable price point. Rob (the owner) only does weddings now, so we had plenty of time to really decorate the barn starting mid-week. All the bridesmaids and out-of-town immediate family stayed at the B&B. We used the barn's first floor for a staging area with bridal couple video after the ceremony while the wedding party took pictures. Our 200 guests were "snug" upstairs for the reception. We cleared out about 10 round tables in the center for a dance floor, which worked out fine as about 1/3'd of the guests started leaving after the toasts and traditional first dance, bride & father, and groom & mom's dance. We had to move the ceremony into the reception area due to rain (very rarely happens Rob said), so we made a center isle and started a little late, but it all worked out fine. After the ceremony, the rain cleared out to take outside pictures, so the upstares was re-set and the caterer's were all set. (We moved the guests back downstairs while we took pictures.). The garden area for the outdoor ceremony seats 200+ easily and the September flowers were in full bloom. There are three sitting rooms; the dining room seats 25 easily. A large carpeted basement room was perfect for the hair stylist and bride staging area. Hy-Vee (ask for Johanna) superbly catered our reception meal. Rob has 150 white chairs for the garden, so we rented 200 chairs and some more tables from Sunflower Rental for the reception. Call Ursula (at Sunflower) -- she was wonderful. Rob serves a traditional farm-style breakfast with fruit and such for the weight-watchers. Coffee's hot at 7:00, 8:30-9:30 breakfast; very informal (which we liked). Because we had most of the week to set-up (again, Rob does primarily week-end weddings), we were "so "set-up" by Saturday morning, for the evening wedding, we could focus time on our out-of-town family and friends. The B&B was designed and built as a B&B, so all the rooms have private tubs and showers, queen or king-size beds, lots of Victorian decor. The frequent coal trains are more noticable at night, so have light sleepers bed on the west side of the B&B. Oh, yeah, you're close enough to Lawrence to make a Wal-mart or Hy-Vee (big grocery store) fetch-something run in under 45 minutes round-trip.
If you're set on and outdoor wedding in eastern Kansas, note that the barn is not air-conditioned, so Kansas' unpredictable weather is a given. Our mid-September wedding worked out fine -- the well ventelated barn was warm for dinner at 8:00 (high 70's) and cooled as the evening proceded. The barn's upstairs reception space is not handicapped accessable (no elevator) -- it is a barn.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled with family
Reviewed 31 August 2010

We had our small outdoor wedding at the Victorian Veranda Inn. It's a beautiful country setting, lovely garden and ceremony space. And the inn was excellent--10 nicely decorated rooms/suites. Rob, the innkeeper, was very easy to work with, a great host, and he officiates a lovely ceremony. The wedding packages they have are a great value, regardless of the size of your wedding.
--Robert and Sarah