“Incredible find! Best Korean food since Korea!!”

Hyundai Korean Restaurant
Ranked #23 of 78 Restaurants in Leavenworth
Cuisines: Korean
Reviewed 1 August 2013

This place should be reviewed by Guy Fieri (or Anthony Bordain). I really feel it is food network worth and certainly of the best I've ever had outside of Korea. What an amazing find in Leavenworth, KS.

Make no mistake, this place is a hole in the wall. The restaurant is attached to an Asian food store and the ambiance is little more than cheap tables and soda from the can. However, while I wouldn't come here wearing a suit and tie (or in anything more than jeans) don't let that detract you from some incredibly authentic (and tasty) Korean food. The Korean food store in the back, no doubt, serves as the pantry for the restaurant in the front. Any doubts about the authenticity of the food will be lost when you see the toothless, old Korean grandma sitting on the floor by the door watching game shows. This truly is the "real" deal when it comes to Korean food.

I ordered Be-Beam-Bop (I don't know the real spelling) and was given the option of the hot stone bowl or the cold version. I choose the hot stone bowl and what I received reminded me of my year in Korea in 2007. Fresh, flavorful vegetables over a bed of rice with an egg on top, cooking in the heat radiating from the stone bowl. For me, the addition of the spicy red Korean sauce (I don't know the name of it, but it is inseparable from Korean cuisine) sealed the flavor package and I floated off to heaven. As expected, there were several traditional Korean sides to enjoy (including wonderful authentic kimchi). My only complaint about the food was that there weren't more traditional sides (normally there are 6-10, but here there were only 4). Also, the menu could be bigger, but its better to do few things really well than too many not so well. The same could be said of the tables, chairs, and service. They are obviously minimalist, but the focus here is on the food and they do that very well.

3  Thank TFalc0n
There are newer reviews for Hyundai Korean Restaurant

Reviewed 3 March 2013

It has a wide menu with lots of options. The kalbi is good, as is the chop chi. Try the mondu dumplings, as well. Prices are reasonable and they have an Asian market, if you're looking for something to take home. Worth your time & money.

1  Thank JRKCOS
Reviewed 17 December 2012

OK, you need to know this place is strange looking as you go in. “Mama-san” (the looked like she was 90 year old grandma) was sitting on the floor. This place is a market and part restaurant. We found the restaurant part and sat down. They have pictures of the menu items all over the walls, which is helpful. Not the fastest service but very nice and helpful with the menu. My buddy and I each had the be-bim-bop in the hot bowl. Really tasty. When it arrived, you could hear everything sizzling in the bowl. I mixed all the veggies, the beef and the egg together and really enjoyed. They served 2 types of kim chee with the meal and offered to refill. This place has zero ambiance but it does have good Korean food. I will go back and I recommend it.

Reviewed 5 July 2012

Ma is the real deal! Since soldiering in Korea have had none close to real deal. Ma is the real deal!!

1  Thank LVredleg
Reviewed 8 June 2012

Although the location is a little odd, we like it here. Good, authentic Korean food prepared by hand. Extremely nice workers; one followed us outside to the car with an umbrella once to keep our kids dry in the rain! Attached to a little Asian grocery store too.