“Customer Service Needs Work”

Aloft Leawood - Overland Park
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Leawood
Reviewed 21 July 2014

My apologies for the long review, but this is my experience with the Leawood Aloft;

We stayed here the night of our wedding. We booked the block of rooms for family and friends about 6 months in advance. The closer to the wedding day we got, the more difficult it was to accomplish anything with the hotel. Their biggest issue is how fragmented all of the responsibilities sit within the management structure. No one person can seem to help you with anything, it was always "someone else's department".

While every person we interacted with was very friendly, including the sales woman her served as our main contact, it was difficult to get a straight answer from them about anything. For example, the hotel has a courtesy shuttle that runs at seemingly random times. Our reception was held within a literal 1 and a half minute drive from the hotel. A month out from the wedding I inquired about the availability of a shuttle for my wife and I from the reception to the hotel. The saleswoman helping us said she needed to get in touch with someone else to get that answer. A couple weeks past without an answer, called the hotel again, got the same answer; that someone else still needed to be contacted. Three days before my wedding I was told that the shuttle was not available that night. This would not have been a problem if I was told up front.

We pre-reserved about 10 rooms for our guests that needed to be spoken for 3 weeks prior to the wedding, which is understandable. What they didn't tell us, however, is the only way to get the group rate for our guests was for them to book online. We had a couple of guests call and book their rooms via the front desk, giving our names to the agent at the time of reservation. After receiving a list of guests that had books, only 1 of the 3 were showing up. I inquired about this and was told that the rooms were not applied to the block rate by the agent. When asked if this could be adjusted, I was again told they would look into it. Three days prior to the wedding I was told nothing could be done to get them the group rate due to their systems.

Finally, our group rate was set to be 90 dollars (including our room). We were also told that we would get a free upgrade to a corner king room (their version of a honeymoon suite). We were upgraded to the corner room, which was nice, but the credit card was charged 120 (140ish after taxes). When I called to inquire after the wedding, I was again sent to a different department, which was apparently one person who was not in the office. I left a voicemail on her machine and have not heard back since. Every time I call about this matter I get sent back to this voicemail.

My issue with aloft was with the customer service. The fragmentation they have within management makes it very difficult to get anything done or any questions answered. At the end of the day, I paid a cab to take us to the hotel, our guests didn't seem to mind paying a bit extra, and I only missed out on a small amount of money. But this was not a pleasant experience trying to plan anything in advance. I suggest you take your block room booking needs elsewhere in Leawood/OP.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Tyler C
Kylie O, Starwood Hotels & Resorts at Aloft Leawood - Overland Park, responded to this reviewResponded 31 July 2014

Thank you for your comments and feedback. We are glad that you had the chance to speak with our Director of Sales regarding your recent stay. Customer service is one of our top priorities and we will do our best to make any necessary improvements in the future. Take care.

Reviewed 21 July 2014

Room not cleaned, refrig. Did not work, water pressure low in shower it took forever to get the soap off, air conditioner was noisy. Got a free bottle of water in the room the first day then had to pay the other 4 days. When this was questioned, front desk stated that you only got a free bottled water the first day??? So I guess if I checked out and checked back in everyday I would have gotten a free bottle of water everyday. Sometimes it's all these little things that make your stay crappy!!!

Room Tip: I don't know since my room had so many problems
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your feedback. We are truly sorry for the inconveniences you experienced during your recent stay. Per brand standard, Aloft guests should receive new water bottles throughout their stay. Rest assured, this has been immediately addressed with our team and properly handled so that it will not be repeated in the future. Again, thank you for your review.

Reviewed 17 July 2014

I stay here every time I travel to Overland Park, usually about once a month.

The hotel has a great location with a handful of bars and restaurants within walking distance.

The rooms are generally clean, i've only run into 1 room that was not sufficiently clean, but it didn't bother me and I noted it on my end of stay survey.

The air conditioners are loud, I enjoy the white noise, if you need a quiet room, the AC may not be right for you.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 12 July 2014

Last minute trip with the Grandkids. Was disappointed they did not have connecting dbl Q rooms, but we did manage with rooms close by. The "girls"room was not a cool as I like... Couldn't get the room cooler then 73....too stuffy for me. Bed and bedding very comfy...towels nice and big. One wall in room needs some attention... Some stains and big scratch. Phone reservation lady and check in lady very helpful. The neighborhood is hopping on a Friday night, but we were on 5 th floor and it was very quiet. Would like to come back without Grandkids (no offense) for a more adult night. Great restaurants close by.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank peabodygal7
Reviewed 10 July 2014

Went up to Leawood to visit a high school classmate who was doing some training there. The hotel was encompassed by a shopping places and plenty of eateries and restaurants. The weather was nice for a stroll around the complex. The room was nice with a 42in plasma TV, floor to ceiling glass shower, and window facing the action around the roundabout.

Room Tip: For the sensitive people with allergies, was able to request HYPOALLERGENIC SHEETS AND BEDDING! This...
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled solo
2  Thank faison8
Kylie O, Starwood Hotels & Resorts at Aloft Leawood - Overland Park, responded to this reviewResponded 17 July 2014

Dear faison8,

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your feedback. We are thrilled to hear that you enjoyed your time with us and that you took advantage of our convenient location near many eateries and restaurants. We hope that you will visit us again during your next trip. Take care.

Reviewed 28 June 2014

This hotel is situated as many of the reviewers have noted in an outside mall with several restaurants. There is a bar in the hotel, on the second floor with an outside sitting area so you can look out onto the street and open area below.
Rooms were fine, typically set up stand up shower, bed facing tv, small work table. It was clean, some signs of running wear. A/C unit was controlled on the wall and worked fairly well.
My only comment that is there was poor signage for the hotel parking. Then once in the parking garage poor signage on how to get to the hotel. Kept thinking there would be a skywalk to the hotel from the 3rd floor but there was not. You had to go down to 1st floor walk to hotel, go to second floor and check in. Not a long walk, but very confusing because of no signage and I must admit it was at 8pm there were lots of people eating and looking at me, and I was tired from a long day.
It's a very nice property I would stay here again.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank AGRandy
Reviewed 24 June 2014

The hotel is well situated to nearby businesses in Overland Park and has a number of great eating places nearby. The hotel is very clean looking and has that funky ALoft style that reminds me of Virgin Atlantic decor. The reception area is well appointed with snacks, a bar, a pool table and lots of inside and outside seating.

The hotel is fairly quiet and the rooms are very clean. There's a great breakfast place just across the street called Ingredient. There's also an AMC movie theater across the street that has a pretty decent beer selection (don't forget your ID) and some really comfortable seats. For dining there's a couple of great selections within walking distance.

Room Tip: Ask for a higher floor rear facing
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
Also consider these accommodations in or near Leawood
Sheraton Overland Park Hotel at the Convention Center
Hyatt Place Overland Park/Convention Center
Hilton Garden Inn Overland Park
Hilton Garden Inn Overland Park
#5 of 37 in Overland Park
Drury Inn & Suites Kansas City Overland Park
Hyatt Place Kansas City/Overland Park/Metcalf
Hampton Inn Kansas City/Overland Park

Been to Aloft Leawood - Overland Park? Share your experiences!