“When in Kansas...”

Sullivan's Steakhouse - Leawood
Reserve with OpenTable
Sullivan's Steakhouse - Leawood is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #13 of 101 Restaurants in Leawood
Cross street: 119th & Roe Avenue
London, United Kingdom
“When in Kansas...”
Reviewed 25 February 2014

Apparently, when in Kansas, steak always has to be on the menu. For me steakhouses are usually a second-best choice, something you would go to if there was nothing better. Sullivan's changed my mind. Unexpectedly metropolitan atmosphere and great, great steaks. I had the Kansas City Strip and it was nothing short of fantastic. Nice, friendly mid-West service too. Fun.

common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Valentine's day/Anniversary gone wrong.”
Reviewed 16 February 2014

Starting this off, we've been to Sullivan's before. Great cocktails and wine selection and the patio where you can purchase and smoke a cigar is wonderful.

With that said we decided to dine at Sullivan's for Valentine's day and our anniversary since they fall on the same day. Our reservation was set for 9:30 since my partner and I worked that evening. We arrived at the restaurant about 10 minutes early and were told there was a thirty minute delay. Okay, I can understand that since $99 dollars for two people is an incredible deal for the prices at Sullivan's. The host told us we could wait in the bar and order a drink or wait in the lobby. We chose the bar, we sat at an open table for about 15 minutes before a waitress came over and spoke to us, I had their signature Knockout Martini, which was wonderful.

About 40 minutes had passed by so my boyfriend went to go see how much longer the wait was going to be. We were told we were next on the list so we tabbed out and went into the lobby to wait. About 10 other couples were sat before us and 15 minutes later we were seated at 10:25.... almost an hour after our reservation was made. I understand things go wrong and it was a very busy night, but they clearly over booked their restaurant. It was a time where the two managers needed to go around to every table and apologize, they weren't doing anything but talking to one another and making multiple stops at tables since almost every table complained about something.

My boyfriends friends were also celebrating vday in a group of odd people, one of the women was single and about 3 people came to their table and told her the only menu provided tonight was for 2 people.... if I was single and then everyone came to the table and threw a big deal about an odd number I would feel terrible! She was already surrounded with couples and to be singled out couldn't of made her experience very good. They were also served two side dishes before their food had came out, then about 10 minutes later one of the food expeditors came to their table and said "sorry this was not for you" and directly took it to a table right behind them....YUCK! Also throughout the night were multiple complaints about the lamb being raw.

We ordered a bottle of wine, and placed our order with the waitress, she the only good thing about the service at sullivan's, she wished us a happy anniversary and was very knowledgeable about the menu and friendly. We didn't order the extra $16 cold seafood platter but one was put on our table....we told the expeditor right away we didn't think it was ours...it went right to a couple next to us...I've worked in the restaurant industry and know it's a rule that once you place a food item on the table you need to take it back to the kitchen, but I guess Sullivan's doesn't care about sanitary needs. When we received our food my Rib eye was thrown in front of me hitting my water almost over without a word from the expeditor. I was shocked and appalled. I made eye contact with the manager at least 5 times, and not once did he come over and ask how the food was, or to apologize that their running behind. It honestly came off like a bunch of meathead idiots running a restaurant.

I understand it's a big dining holiday, I understand a lot of people complain to get things for free. As I looked around most people were drinking water with their meal, you can tell those people are wanting to stay as cheap as possible. But to go above and beyond and order a round of drinks in the bar plus a bottle of wine, I thought it was just common courtesy and something a good manager does...and when you're paying the prices Sullivan's charges you expect to see the managers acting professional and trying to make things run smoothly. This was not the case.

I don't think we will ever return after this and that's a shame. But after an experience like this one I don't see why we'd waste our money on a restaurant who doesn't care about their guests.

1 Thank Alyssa D
Overland Park, Kansas
“Great Lunch”
Reviewed 15 February 2014

I met a friend here for lunch this week and the visit just reinforced my high opinion of Sullivan's. The service was a little clumsy, but sincerity and enthusiasm made up for it.

I got the lobster roll, which was fantastic. The chips that came with it were fair (I thought it came with fries...). My friend stated his pulled chicken taco's were also good.

All and all, a great visit. A little pricey, but you get what you pay for.

Blue Springs, Missouri
“Third Time to Visit--Won't Be The Last”
Reviewed 12 February 2014

My wife and I visited Sullivan's Steakhouse with two goals in mind:

1. To enjoy an excellent meal with great service
2. To take a moment to celebrate our 13th Valentine's Day together

Mission Accomplished!

We arrived at Sullivan's for a 6:00 PM reservation and were promptly seated in a booth in front of the extensive wine room. As customary, were asked if we had any pressing plans or other places we needed to go, as our server did not want to rush us through our meal.

My wife enjoyed the Prix Fixe menu for $39.99: Cheese Steak Eggrolls, French Onion Soup, and 6 oz. Filet. Each item was excellently prepared, the steak cooked to a perfect medium and topped with a delicious Goat Cheese and Bordelaise sauce.

I enjoyed the Braised Beef Ravoli, Iceberg Lettuce Wedge, and the daily special: 3 different filets each topped with a different sauce. Each steak was perfectly prepared and delicious.

We ended our meal with dessert (try the bread pudding) and two glasses of Moscato.

All in all, the meal was enjoyable, the service impeccable and the atmosphere very classy. Kansas City has a number of great steakhouses and Sullivan's should definitely be included.

1 Thank KCL78
Kansas
“Quality food and great service”
Reviewed 26 January 2014

We had never tried Sullivan's Steakhouse prior to Restaurant Week, but this was a great time for us to give it a shot!

The food was very good. We started out with the traditional Caesar salad, which was pretty much like most - nothing to really set it apart. The entree most of us went with was the Filet Mignon. It arrived and was cooked as ordered for us (generally medium or medium-rare). A quality cut of meat for sure, however they seared the outside to the point it was almost burned - and mine was medium-rare. I know that this is usually done to "seal in" the juices and resulting flavor, but when you have to trim most of your cut to get rid of the taste of char then it is less impressive.

We went with the Bananas Foster Bread Pudding for dessert and it was great. Then our server set the meal apart from most restaurants by bringing out a large sample of their coconut creme pie for everybody to try. Great gesture and definitely will earn a repeat visit from us - it was fantastic!

Sullivan's Steakhouse in Leawood is a good solid choice for a quality meal. There are more intimate/romantic eateries, as well as a few with even better food. Nonetheless, if you are looking for a dependable place to take your date, your family, or a group of friends you will truly enjoy the Sullivan's experience.

• Visited January 2014