“Perhaps one of the best steaks I've had”

Sullivan's Steakhouse - Leawood
Reserve with OpenTable
Sullivan's Steakhouse - Leawood is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #14 of 101 Restaurants in Leawood
Price range: US$30 - US$50
Cuisines: Steakhouse
Good for: Romantic
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: 119th & Roe Avenue
Cape Town Central, South Africa
“Perhaps one of the best steaks I've had”
Reviewed 1 April 2014

Had a great dining experience at Sullivans. Our party had calamari and it was some of the best I've had in a restaurant that was not close to the ocean but the filet mignon was melt in your mouth perfect! Great service and atmosphere. Put it on your list as a must visit!

• Visited April 2014

Leawood, Kansas
“Disappointing Experience”
Reviewed 28 March 2014

This was not our first trip to Sullivan's, but this occasion was our anniversary and my experience was so disappointing, I doubt I'll return. The restaurant was not busy when we arrived, but picked up over our stay - not SRO however. The waiter was wonderful, very attentive and helpful. We ordered appetizers, cocktail for me, salad/soup, entrees and a side dish. I specifically ordered my steak medium well, described how I wanted that to look (strip of pink in very middle, gray brown inside) and said I would be sending it back if it arrived otherwise. When it arrived, I lightly pressed my fork to the top - and it was squishy - an obvious sign that it was not cooked to my specification. I waited almost 5 minutes for the waiter to return to the table, and sent it back with a reminder of how I wanted it cooked. After waiting at least 10 minutes, the female GM ceremoniously brought my steak back, and requested that I check it. It was EXACTLY the same on the inside, with a slightly more charred outside. After I pointed this out to the GM, she started a debate with me about the definition of "medium well done", and asked if I wanted to return it again. I told her I was hungry and tired of waiting. I ate a couple of bites and then cut the steak in half horizontally to further demonstrate that it was still almost medium rare. As my husband finished his dinner,the GM walked by again (ignoring me) and I called out to her, asking "does this look like medium well done to you?!" This time she admitted that it did not, and apologized. By then, my dining experience was ruined, and I was anxious to leave. The GM comped our meal, but I couldn't have cared less. We didn't need a free meal and didn't go there for a free meal, we went there for a lovely dining experience on our anniversary. Three things made me angry: 1) a lazy chef who doesn't understand what medium well looks like 2) NO ONE took even 5 seconds to double-check my steak before serving it the second time 3) the GM is equally as lazy as the chef and argumentative to boot. There was NO excuse for our experience there tonight - amateur hour with a Manhattan price tag.

• Visited March 2014
3 Thank greatexpectations076
Kansas
“Melt in your mouth steak”
Reviewed 9 March 2014

This is a top-notch steakhouse. I have had the bone in ribeye, filet, and regular ribeye and all were very, very good. They are very pricey for my budget but for a special evening out and fantastic steaks, this is a great place. Wait staff was also excellent and they have a great selection of wine as well. They have some type of egg roll appetizer that was really good as well. We had a reservation and were well taken care of.

Kansas City, Missouri
“Not Pleased!!”
Reviewed 4 March 2014

My fiance and I decided to go here for Valentine's Day. BIG MISTAKE! We made reservations for 9:30pm, got there and they told us they were backed up and we wouldn't be seated for at least 30 minutes. That's understandable since everyone is obviously going out to eat for V-Day. We waited and waited, checked in with the hostess twice and told us we still had to wait. FINALLY after an hour and 15 minutes, we were seated! The place was modern and clean but the tables were so close together. Luckily our table was next to the window but the tables were so close, my chair kept bumping into the chair behind me.

The menu was pre-fixed so we were able to choose what we wanted real quick. The soup and salad were pretty good. We asked for bread 3 times and were never brought any...we were pretty disappointed. Both my fiance and I ordered the steak and I asked them to make mine well done and specifically told them I don't want to see any pink. Guess what I saw...PINK!! The waitress was so slow and only came to our table a couple times so I didn't bother sending it back. My fiance also said that his coke was flat and had it return and the waitress still brought a flat coke 20 minutes later so he just settled for water. The dessert was okay, I've had better.

All in all, I would not come here again and I would not recommend this place to friends or family. DEFINITELY NOT WORTH THE $100 DINNER.. Next time we'll be going to the Capital Grille like we usually do.

2 Thank Sarah_9031
Leawood, Kansas
“great service & choice for steaks & more”
Reviewed 28 February 2014

We arrived on a Thursday eve & the place was hopping. It seems Thursday night there are lots of singles that gather here. Our server was super nice & friendly. My steak was cooked perfectly as ordered & was very tasty. My wife's salmon was also very good.
The garlic masked potatoes were quite good. How could anything with garlic be bad ???
In Kansas City there are many great steak restaurants. This is among the top ones.