“Creative Mexican Restaurant”

Description: Newly opened restaurant by Aaron Sanchez
Leawood, Kansas
“Creative Mexican Restaurant”
Reviewed 28 May 2014

This place never seems to be busy but it is very good. A wide variety of choices, this is not the run of the mill Tex-Mex restaurant. The restaurant itself is beautiful. It is a bit pricey but in general you get what you pay for.

• Visited February 2014

Allentown, Pennsylvania
“Won't eat there again.”
Reviewed 13 May 2014

I had a business lunch at Mestizo and was excited to try the fajitas. The place was nearly empty at noon (looking back this should have been a clue as this should have been a popular biz lunch spot). Our group ordered - I ordered the steak fajitas. The fajitas were served medium-rare...okay...they must be extremely tender. Suffice to say it was one of the worst pieces of steak I've ever had and practically inedible. As I shared this experience with my neighbors, they both had similar experiences with other dishes. In summary, if you're in the mood for fajitas, save some money and hit Chili's up the street...better fajitas at less than half the price.

• Visited April 2014
Overland Park, Kansas, USA
“Expensive mexican restaurant”
Reviewed 13 May 2014

It is an expensive restaurant with average food and mediocre service. Drinks are alright, location is great but the quality of food and service has gone down over the last year. I am surprised it lasted this long.

• Visited March 2014
Kansas City, Missouri
“Strike 2, Probably Won't Try the 3rd Time”
Reviewed 6 May 2014

We visited May 5, 2014. Their website indicated live music started at 8 pm. A tent at the hostess desk stated 6 pm. After waiting 40 minutes for the outdoor patio, the tabletop tent stated the music started at 5 pm. We waited much longer than we were told, but that happens sometimes. However, as we waited for our table and listened to the hostess, some customers were told one hour and others told 1.5 hours, and then the next ones told 1 hour.

We waited 15 minutes at the table. No waiter, no water, nothing. I found someone and asked if we had been overlooked. Her response was that they were very busy. It didn't seem busy to me, but it appeared to be understaffed. It was 80 degrees out and the rooftop was closed. what? Finally, we were given water and chips. Waiter took another 10 minutes to appear. We ordered chicken tacos, carnita tacos, vegi tamales. We still have not received our drinks. After another 10 minutes, I got up AGAIN and asked if our drink order might have been misplaced. The waiters response was that he was very busy and it was taking a long time for everything, but he would check on the drinks.

We finally got the drinks. Margarita was really good. Tacos were underseasoned and uneventful. Tamale wasn't really a tamale, but it had good flavor. We had to ask for additional salsa. Our water glasses were empty. I got up AGAIN and ask for salsa and water. When this was served, I asked if he could go ahead and put in 2 more margaritas for us. We weren't ready but was hoping ordering them 15 minutes before we wanted them might be a good plan. We finished our food and still the drinks had not arrived. I finally asked the waiter to bring our check without the margaritas since they were not ready.

When he brought us the check, he brought us the 2 margaritas. They clearly were a little watery and had sat up on bar without a runner.

I asked to speak to a manager and the staff member said he didn't know where the manager was. I had not seen one either. We now had spent nearly 2.5 hours when we were hoping for an hour. Manager never showed up.

Just a side note - the hostess was wearing black enclosed flats (like ballet slippers) with 2 holes in the left shoe. One of the holes were where her big toe was and her toe nail was sticking out from the shoe. Seems super unprofessional.

Our first trip, we experienced good service, but the food wasn't anything exciting. This time, blah food and slooooooooooooooow service. We won't be back.

• Visited May 2014
Kansas City, Missouri
“Latino Gem”
Reviewed 3 May 2014

Mestizo Leawood offers many dishes not otherwise available around here. Don't call it Texmex, that's doesn't give it the justice it deserves. The appetizers, raw seafood choices and classic latino entrees are all excellent. We went for lunch and shared everything. My wife and I will be back. They have live bands and DJ's on various nights up in the Rooftop for the late night entertainment scene. It is located in the new trendy Park Place district.

• Visited May 2014