“Wow..... What a TERRIBLE place!!!”

The Clarion Hotel Kansas City - Overland Park
Ranked #5 of 13 Hotels in Lenexa
Reviewed 19 May 2014 via mobile

I don't even know where to start... This hotel failed on so many levels it's not even funny. I've never written a review on here before so be patient with me!!

I stayed in room 711 Friday night and it was the worst experience. First off let me state that I checked in around 10 o'clock. The room was nasty! Looks like it wasn't clean before my arrival. There was hair on the bathroom floor... Used soap in the shower... And hair in the vanity area. (I have pics of everything) I went to the front desk and notified them of the issue. They said someone would be right there. By 11:30- no one had showed up. (Over 1 hour after I notified front desk). I even called and asked for the status and was told someone was still on their way. Needless to say around midnight I feel asleep. I slept in my clothes because the room was just filthy. I didn't feel comfortable sleeping in the sheets. I talked to front desk upon my departure and left my number for a manager. No one ever called and I was never offered an apology. For $120+ a night this is ridiculous and should never happen!! Needless to say I won't be back and I can't recommend this place to anyone!!! Enter at your own risk!!!

• Stayed: May 2014
3  Thank Shedd512
Tim R, General Manager at The Clarion Hotel Kansas City - Overland Park, responded to this reviewResponded 21 May 2014

Dear Shedd512,
Thank you so much for your recent review. I have reviewed the issues you have outlined along with the photos from your stay with our staff.
I apologize for your experience. We have prided ourselves on a well maintained hotel, obviously your experience missed the mark.
I have asked our accounting department to review your bill and you should be seeing a refund on your room and tax.
Tim

Reviewed 1 May 2014

Motel has bar not overly stocked but sufficient. Didn't have my favorite beer Miller-light on draft but made do with bottle. Dinner menu could be better - mostly sandwiches but lots of restaurants in area to make up for their lack. Nice breakfast buffet - well stock /supplied. continental items plus regular breakfast items. Friendly staff in all areas. Nice rooms and beds - bath room is small and could be larger - not easy to maneuver around in.

Room Tip: Try to stay away from rooms on 4th floor where AC units are located on top.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank Bill R
Reviewed 23 April 2014

I was at this property with a girls volleyball team and parents for a tournament at the convention center. It was a decent property and worked out really well for our group.

Negatives: Not really walking distance to anything. Other hotels downtown or in the plaza have plenty to do without driving. Our room didn't have any windows. It was a completely interior room and the pull out couch that they advertised was actually a blow-up mattress. Seriously. A blow-up mattress. It took an hour and 4 phone calls for someone to come up and re-inflate the bed after the first night. The place is a little dated as well.

Positives: There are lots of tables in the lobby area that we could sit at at night. They were really cool about us bringing in our own food and beverages as well. They did have a little continental breakfast which the girls enjoyed you just have to put up with Styrofoam plates and plastic forks. They also have a breakfast which was really cheap and the food was good. The hotel bar had pretty good food and was very inexpensive as well.

I probably wouldn't stay here with my wife for a weekend getaway but it was perfect for the team and parents.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank careerman17
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at The Clarion Hotel Kansas City - Overland Park, responded to this reviewResponded 9 May 2014

Dear careerman17,

Thank you for your feedback. We take our guest comments very seriously and always strive to provide comfortable and friendly accommodations. We are sorry for the shortfalls you have experienced during your stay. Your comments are highly valuable and will assist us in our continuous efforts to maintain and improve the service level we aim for. Thank you for staying and we all hope to have an opportunity to serve you again on your next future visit.

Anthony M

Reviewed 19 April 2014

We have stayed here previously and had a beautiful room but got placed in a section of the hotel that hasn't been touched since 1980! Beds are hard and everything in the room looks like a bunch of junk furniture they picked up at a garage sale, including the ancient television. You definitely would have a nicer stay at a Motel 6! Do not stay here!

• Stayed: April 2014
1  Thank dehutche
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at The Clarion Hotel Kansas City - Overland Park, responded to this reviewResponded 5 May 2014

Dear dehutche,

Thank you for taking the time to share your comments online. It is unfortunate that we fell below your expectations on this occasion. We have sent you a private message to address your concerns further.

Pam G

Reviewed 31 March 2014

Traveled to Overland Park for a soccer tournament. The team stayed at the Crowne Plaza. After we checked in we went in the "older" section of the hotel. The ceilings in the older section are low and my husband almost hit his head on a exit sign. The 1st room we were placed in smelled like someone recently smoked in it. Requested another room. Was moved down the hall. After you walk into the room you notice that the carpet is old, none of the furnture or lamps matched, the TV was several and I mean several years old, the cable tv was bad (certain channels came in fuzzy which I did not even think was possible) and the air conditioner unit dislodged from the wall. The beds were the worst. My husband actually slept better on the chair that did not match anything else in the room. I could have looked past all of this if I had not known that the other side of the hotel was completly re-done and had sleep number beds. The rooms cost the same amount! How is that even possible? The rooms were as different as night and day. There were other negative issues with the hotel including the losey internet service but it was free and the lack luster team breakfast that was provided to us (went to the McDonalds across the street).

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank Val E
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at The Clarion Hotel Kansas City - Overland Park, responded to this reviewResponded 16 April 2014

Dear Val E,

Thank you for your time in writing us a review. It is unfortunate that this visit was a disappointment. We have sent you a private message to discuss further.

Pam G

Reviewed 31 March 2014

We stayed at the hotel 3/10-3/14/2014 for spring break and big 12 tournament. The hotel is in a great location for shopping and dining, but not close to sporting events though. The hotel has indoor pool, which the four children really enjoyed. Our rooms were right by the pool also,a plus. We got three rooms with double beds. The rooms all had sleep number beds, which were very nice and very comfy. The room had a remote for heat/air unit. I had never had one before in my many stays at different hotels. The hotel was clean and service great too. The only down side was no mini-frig or microwave. The overall experience was great and I would stay again. The workers at bar were extra friendly and nice, and added to experience.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank MemphisPumkinhead
James F, IHG Brand Champion at The Clarion Hotel Kansas City - Overland Park, responded to this reviewResponded 2 April 2014

Dear MemphisPumkinhead,

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay with us here at the Crowne Plaza, Kansas City - Overland Park. We are very happy to know that you enjoyed your stay with us and that your children enjoyed the pool. We strive to make sure our guests have an enjoyable stay and I have passed your comments about our staff onto each department. We hope that, on your next visit, you will choose to stay with us again!

James Fulton
IHG Brand Champion

Reviewed 11 March 2014

We stayed at CP with our travel group on the way home from Texas.
Previously my companion and I had stayed at CP 4 other times.
Since our last visit the hotel was remodeled somewhat and the dining area enlarged. There wre Sleep # beds but the rooms have no mini frig. A disappointment.
We had a caterd dinner, which was simply great, and the breakfast buffet offeres many choices. We would stay here again.

Room Tip: No mimi frig. Rooms can be difficult to find if you are not on the inner core towards the dining are...
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank 172nancyj
James F, IHG Brand Champion at The Clarion Hotel Kansas City - Overland Park, responded to this reviewResponded 12 March 2014

Dear 172nancyj,

Thank you for taking the time to let us know about your stay with us here at the Crowne Plaza Kansas City - Overland Park. We are happy to know that you had a great stay with us here. I do apologize that our rooms do not have the mini-refrigerators in them, but we do have refrigerators available that we can put in the rooms. We look forward to your next visit and are very happy that you would stay with us here again. Please let me know if there is anything I can do to make your next stay even better.

James Fulton
IHG Brand Champion

Also consider these accommodations in or near Lenexa
Hyatt Place Kansas City/Lenexa City Center
Quality Inn & Suites Lenexa Kansas City
Hawthorn Suites by Wyndham Overland Park
SpringHill Suites Kansas City Lenexa/City Center
WoodSpring Suites Kansas City Lenexa
Candlewood Suites Overland Park
Candlewood Suites Overland Park
#21 of 37 in Overland Park

Been to The Clarion Hotel Kansas City - Overland Park? Share your experiences!