“June madness”

The Clarion Hotel Kansas City - Overland Park
Ranked #5 of 13 Hotels in Lenexa
Reviewed 19 June 2014

Well our 1st room was cancelled as smelled like smoke at diff hotel! Got another place but only had one night, they called ahead for us for next two nights but communication error between hotels. Homeless again, finally to your place. Should have stayed there in first place!

Room Tip: Thank you stay was short but sweet
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank naturalke
Tim R, General Manager at The Clarion Hotel Kansas City - Overland Park, responded to this reviewResponded 12 July 2014

Thank you for staying with us. We are pleased we were able to offer some calm for what sounds like a hectic journey.
We do hope you will visit us again if your travels take you to Kansas City
Thank you!

Reviewed 16 June 2014

We stayed in room 824 on the back side of the hotel. I feel it is important share because this appears to be two different hotels , the front a seemingly nice Crown Plaza and the back a dated somewhat dilapidated Holiday Inn from the 80s, that have been joined together with an atrium/indoor pool/ restaurant area . When we arrived we were told to go around back and enter through entrance A or B. We found a parking space next to entrance a, so we decided to use that entrance. This decision would prove to be a big mistake when we got to the door we were wrangling our two children ,and we did not notice that the windows on the door were covered in cardboard as soon as we walked in we noticed water damaged mattresses leaning against the wall and a strong sent of mildew. We decided to go up stairs and investigate our room, rather than just running of screaming into the night, and were greeted with hanging wires , holes in the walls, and a stench of mildew. We discovered that we would not be able to reach our room from here because the end of the hall was blocked with black plastic sheeting. Once we got to the part of the building where our room was, just behind the plastic sheeting, the hall smelled as if someone had tried, and failed , to cover up the mildew smell with a mixture of Drakar and Axe body spray. Once we were in our room it was clean and comfortable, but it was very dated and there was still a faint mildew smell.
I almost forgot to mention that when my wife called the front desk they were unaware of the construction going on in the building. They thanked us for letting them know and said they wouldn't send any more guest through that door.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Mike M
Tim R, General Manager at The Clarion Hotel Kansas City - Overland Park, responded to this reviewResponded 17 June 2014

Please accept our apology for your experience . Unfortunately we experienced some minor damage during a recent storm and we had a area that was under repair at the time of your stay. We regret the inconveinace you experienced please feel free to reach out to me directly at the hotel to discuss further.

Reviewed 4 June 2014

It's been almost 6 weeks since our stay, but I wanted to post a review to recognize the staff. I got this hotel via Priceline to get something nice and affordable since I was taking my mother with me on this short trip. The price was fair. I'm not keen on priceline when it's multiple people because they only guarantee a room with one bed. However, Ms. Pattina Wattree with the hotel took it upon herself to get us a room with two beds. She was also going to get us a complimentary rollaway if she couldn't find two beds for us. At the time, I believe the hotel was booked on doubles but sometimes people do cancel at the last minute. I really appreciate that.
The room itself turned out to be great. I had read about small bathrooms and doors that didn't close well, and although slightly awkward, it wasn't really a problem. The room size itself was great and the beds were very comfortable. We were on the first floor. The ice machine always worked which is great since I've been to a few where you couldn't get ice to save your life.
On the first night, we couldn't figure out how to work the shower. I turned it multiple ways and it felt loose so I didn't want to break it. I called to maintenance and they came and showed me that you had to pull it a certain way, and then it worked fine. They were very friendly about it and I acknowledged how dumb I was for not trying it that way to begin with. I never really heard any noise from outside or from the pool area except for once and it was still very early evening (before dark), so no problems there.
Honestly, the only quirk about this hotel is the location because you turn in from the highway one way but have to go out another to get back to the highway. But there are signs and once you figure it out, it was pretty painless. I'd definitely stay here again if in the area.

Room Tip: Park around back. Less cars and it's not far to most rooms from the nearest rear entrance. I t...
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family

Thank you for your kind comments and we hope to see you again!

Reviewed 28 May 2014

We got this gem on priceline for $50/night. It was clean. Indoor pool and hot tub. Was crazy busy this weekend with baseball tournaments. Kids running everywhere. Walls are very thin. We could hear everything. Very odd location as far as entering and leaving. If they would update interior, could be a lot nicer. Felt like I was in a time warp. Early 80s, late 70s.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
Tim R, General Manager at The Clarion Hotel Kansas City - Overland Park, responded to this reviewResponded 29 May 2014

Thank you so much for your comments regarding your recent stay. The issues you have mentioned have been reviewed with our staff.
I want to thank you for staying with us and we will use your thoughts to help continue to improve our guest’s stays.
Best wishes,

Reviewed 19 May 2014 via mobile

I don't even know where to start... This hotel failed on so many levels it's not even funny. I've never written a review on here before so be patient with me!!

I stayed in room 711 Friday night and it was the worst experience. First off let me state that I checked in around 10 o'clock. The room was nasty! Looks like it wasn't clean before my arrival. There was hair on the bathroom floor... Used soap in the shower... And hair in the vanity area. (I have pics of everything) I went to the front desk and notified them of the issue. They said someone would be right there. By 11:30- no one had showed up. (Over 1 hour after I notified front desk). I even called and asked for the status and was told someone was still on their way. Needless to say around midnight I feel asleep. I slept in my clothes because the room was just filthy. I didn't feel comfortable sleeping in the sheets. I talked to front desk upon my departure and left my number for a manager. No one ever called and I was never offered an apology. For $120+ a night this is ridiculous and should never happen!! Needless to say I won't be back and I can't recommend this place to anyone!!! Enter at your own risk!!!

• Stayed: May 2014
3  Thank Shedd512
Tim R, General Manager at The Clarion Hotel Kansas City - Overland Park, responded to this reviewResponded 21 May 2014

Dear Shedd512,
Thank you so much for your recent review. I have reviewed the issues you have outlined along with the photos from your stay with our staff.
I apologize for your experience. We have prided ourselves on a well maintained hotel, obviously your experience missed the mark.
I have asked our accounting department to review your bill and you should be seeing a refund on your room and tax.

Reviewed 1 May 2014

Motel has bar not overly stocked but sufficient. Didn't have my favorite beer Miller-light on draft but made do with bottle. Dinner menu could be better - mostly sandwiches but lots of restaurants in area to make up for their lack. Nice breakfast buffet - well stock /supplied. continental items plus regular breakfast items. Friendly staff in all areas. Nice rooms and beds - bath room is small and could be larger - not easy to maneuver around in.

Room Tip: Try to stay away from rooms on 4th floor where AC units are located on top.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank Bill R
Reviewed 23 April 2014

I was at this property with a girls volleyball team and parents for a tournament at the convention center. It was a decent property and worked out really well for our group.

Negatives: Not really walking distance to anything. Other hotels downtown or in the plaza have plenty to do without driving. Our room didn't have any windows. It was a completely interior room and the pull out couch that they advertised was actually a blow-up mattress. Seriously. A blow-up mattress. It took an hour and 4 phone calls for someone to come up and re-inflate the bed after the first night. The place is a little dated as well.

Positives: There are lots of tables in the lobby area that we could sit at at night. They were really cool about us bringing in our own food and beverages as well. They did have a little continental breakfast which the girls enjoyed you just have to put up with Styrofoam plates and plastic forks. They also have a breakfast which was really cheap and the food was good. The hotel bar had pretty good food and was very inexpensive as well.

I probably wouldn't stay here with my wife for a weekend getaway but it was perfect for the team and parents.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank careerman17
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at The Clarion Hotel Kansas City - Overland Park, responded to this reviewResponded 9 May 2014

Dear careerman17,

Thank you for your feedback. We take our guest comments very seriously and always strive to provide comfortable and friendly accommodations. We are sorry for the shortfalls you have experienced during your stay. Your comments are highly valuable and will assist us in our continuous efforts to maintain and improve the service level we aim for. Thank you for staying and we all hope to have an opportunity to serve you again on your next future visit.

Anthony M
Case Manager
IHGCare

Also consider these accommodations in or near Lenexa
Hyatt Place Kansas City/Lenexa City Center
3 mi away
SpringHill Suites Kansas City Lenexa/City Center
WoodSpring Suites Kansas City Lenexa
Quality Inn & Suites Lenexa Kansas City
Hyatt Place Overland Park/Convention Center
La Quinta Inn Kansas City Lenexa

Been to The Clarion Hotel Kansas City - Overland Park? Share your experiences!