“Great Family Vacation” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Crowne Plaza Hotel Kansas City - Overland Park

Lowest prices for {0} - {1}
Enter dates for lowest prices
We check up to 200+ sites for the lowest hotel prices
Crowne Plaza Hotel Kansas City - Overland Park
Ranked #3 of 10 Hotels in Lenexa
Orlando, Florida
“Great Family Vacation”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 August 2014

Our family had a great experience. Staff was accommodating. We enjoyed our room and it was clean. This is a nice place and great location. It was overall well taken care of. We will be returning next year.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
      Location
      Rooms
3 Thank FloridaFamily316
Tim R, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Hotel Kansas City - Overland Park, responded to this review, 11 August 2014
Thank you so much for your comments. we are very happy you hade a pleasant stay and we look forward to having you here next year!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (92)
Overland Park
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 August 2014 via mobile

The indoor pool and jacuzzi has NO access for anyone in a wheelchair as there are no ramps and no lift to the pool area. If you are traveling with anyone in this condition look for other lodging!!! The manager tried explaining the situation of how ramps to the pool were not feasible. However, an electric lift to the the pool and jacuzzi is definitely feasible. Just sloppy...

Stayed August 2014
Tim R, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Hotel Kansas City - Overland Park, responded to this review, 20 August 2014
Thank you for your comments. You can be assured I will share your comment and concerns with our ownership. I do thank you for staying with us.
Wausua
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 August 2014

I has the misfortune of staying two nights at this property in late July 2014 in room 148. I am usually pretty savvy about getting nice hotel rooms but not so much with this relic. I haven't had great experiences with Crown Plaza's in the past and should have known better. well here goes...

We arrived and noticed this "upscale" hotel was surrounded by lower priced hotels which is unusual. We check in and the teenagers working the desk were clearly neutral on their job enthusiasm. But we get our key and are on the 1st floor. We have to open a fire type door to walk down a dark hallway to our room. Seemed odd but we are here.

Once in the room we notice the a/c is having a hard time keeping the room cool. It is set at 68 and the outside temp is a mild 78. I sense trouble here so I turn it down to 65 as I know this wont improve much. As we unpack we notice the miniscule bathroom, You have to see the smallness to really believe me. We decide to go out to eat and just deal with it.

When we arrive back we are treated to the pool rocking at full capacity. Did I mention the pool is located in the lobby to the right of the front desk, Really. All the rooms face the pool in our section. Yippee. We also notice that most of the rooms around us are booked to families of 12 here for some senseless tournament. Off to some sort of sleep.

The morning comes and I get to shower in the microbathroom. Well, the tub doesn't drain properly. Nothing better than showering while standing in your own filth. Nice. I head off to do my sales visits and leave my poor wife to deal with this place. She has a bad day as the hotel doesn't serve food at midday. No shuttle services. No fridge. No microwave.

Our second night we go to desk to complain and the teenager there seems confused. Offers us another room but doesn't know if it will be any better. At least she was honest. We decide to just ride it out. Oh, many channels on the cable tv don't work for an added treat.

While I was out talking with my customers in the KC area I find out this place is a well known must to avoid in the area. It was an old Holidome and Ramada that some bad architect melded into one hotel.

The room was clean. Though housekeeping was grumpy.

We do what any sensible people do now and get up at 4:30 and leave. It was all I could take here.

The hotel is just plain worn out. They really need to stop taking $125-$140 a night here under false pretenses. It is a bad Red Roof Inn at this point in time.

Room Tip: Avoid at all costs!
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
      Cleanliness
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank Ted D
Tim R, Manager at Crowne Plaza Hotel Kansas City - Overland Park, responded to this review, 5 August 2014
Thank you for your comments. I was disappointed that found our hotel not to your requirements. I can say that we take each review seriously and use the feed back to improve our services and to improve our accommodations. Your comments help us decide how we will make capital improvements. Thank you again
MINDEN
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 August 2014

Hotel is nice in appearance and is kept clean. Rooms were clean although dark. Check in was slow. Daughter, age 17, went to "store" and wanted to charge ice cream to room they told her no instead of verifying with me by calling the room. Her friend paid for it but then they didn't have any spoons. The desk attendant said she was too busy to get them any and to go to the restaurant for them. The restaurant said no, they weren't allowed to give them out. How do you eat ice cream without spoons??

AC wasn't working properly. Maintenance came and adjusted something and it was better, but still not the best.

Housekeeping didn't come one day until late in afternoon and the girls were cleaning after a softball game. I asked them to come back later. Well about 10 min later they were back. I just exchanged dirty towels for clean ones. Then on Saturday morning, they were knocking at the door at 7:45 which woke us up! can't they get a list or notification as people checkout and go clean those rooms??

They set up a special room for breakfast for the softball teams. This was a nice idea, however, you need to think about what's on the buffet. Need more kid friendly items, runny egg casserole doesn't work. Should have had things like pancakes & sausage, waffles, Fruit Loops, etc.

I didn't like the beds. It was like sleeping on an blow up mattress. Would also like to see frig and microwave in room.

Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
Thank you for your comments regarding your recent stay with us. I do share these comments with our department heads so that we can learn and improve our guest experience from them.
Thank you and we hope to see you again
Saginaw, Michigan
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 July 2014

I have stayed here several times over the past few years, and found it to be a good place (I reviewed it two years ago).
But this visit was quite different. The front desk was not as prompt, and the room felt a step down from other visits. The mirrored closet door was shattered! Yes, they put a guest in a room with a shattered closet door. And when I called the front desk, they seemed neither surprised not particularly concerned.
The room was not as clean as other times, and the Air conditioning did not seem to operate very well either.
The issues with little things included the business center. The machines are getting old, and it appears there is no one maintaining them very well.
Not sure if there was a management change, but this place is not what it used to be. It is still okay, but had been much, much better.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
      Rooms
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Tim R, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Hotel Kansas City - Overland Park, responded to this review, 25 July 2014
Thank you for your comments and I am sorry your stay did not meet your expectations. I will share them with our department heads so that we can address each of these areas. I do hope you allow us the honor of being our guest one more time.
Best wishes,
Lake Ozark, Missouri
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 July 2014

We were in town for a 5K run so we were looking for a nice hotel that we could relax and be close to other activities. This hotel provided just that. Our room was very nice and very comfortable. The pool and Jacuzzi were nice after our run. I like that they had a small lounge that we could get an after dinner drink. All of the staff that we encountered were very nice and helpful. There was plenty of restaurants and an awesome mall for shopping close by. Overall for the price it was very nice.

Room Tip: We had a room facing the road which had a little highway noise. But wasn't to bad.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
      Location
2 Thank momdawg
Thank you for your kind words we were happy to see that our location and hospitality met with your needs. We look forward to having you with us again
Loveland, Colorado
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 July 2014 via mobile

Only stayed one night but enjoyed my stay. This hotel used to be a Holidome before it was a Crowne Plaza. The room had a sleep number bed which was comfortable and the hot tub was excellent! Work out room had great equipment. Staff at front desk was awesome. Would stay here again!!

Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank James7979
Tim R, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Hotel Kansas City - Overland Park, responded to this review, 12 July 2014
Thank you for choosing us and kind comments about our staff we have noted the issues and have pulled the room out of our inventory for further inspection and address these concerns to correct them.
Thank you again with us!
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lenexa
Hyatt Place Kansas City/Lenexa City Center
Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites Overland Park West
La Quinta Inn Kansas City Lenexa
Hawthorn Suites by Wyndham Overland Park
Sheraton Overland Park Hotel at the Convention Center
Quality Inn & Suites Lenexa Kansas City

Been to Crowne Plaza Hotel Kansas City - Overland Park? Share your experiences!