“It's eh.”

Ranked #14 of 16 Hotels in Manhattan
Manhattan, Kansas
“It's eh.”
Reviewed 8 June 2014

good for one night and you need a place to stay. wouldn't want to be here longer than a day. room was very basic. the shower was surprisingly one of the best i've had in a hotel. the staff was very nice and seemed to be very eager to help. wouldn't want to bring a family here.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled solo
3 Thank BJPC5331

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
Shawnee
Reviewed 25 May 2014

Have always stayed here but last two times we seem to get the rooms in the back and they are just not up to par anymore. Very BASIC not even a picture on the wall. The first room smelled so smokey we had to move even tho this is a NON smoking place, the next room had the same odor. We gave up and opened the windows BIG mistake. other residents were smoking outside and the smoke kept drifting into the room at all hours. Late in the evening or early am a group of kids came back and made so much noise it woke us up. They finally settled down but distracting. Shower was GREAT although you could not turn around in it. no hair dryer, two little pieces of soap two towels. The bed was something else it has been YEARS since we slept on a SPRING mattress. Every turn made noise very unnerving. Will not be staying here again. The rooms in the front of motel seem to be more modern.

Room Tip: Go somewhere else or ask about a more modern room in front.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Beverly S
Olathe, Kansas, United States
Reviewed 6 May 2014

The weekend we were here, any other available hotel in the area was twice the price for a single night. Under those conditions, I would stay here again. We paid for the deluxe room which came with a refrigerator and microwave which was a nice bonus. Cost was about 130 for two nights. The staff we checked in with was very friendly and nice. Also the area is convenient to a Walmart and other shopping and restaurant options and the Flint Hills museum. Those are about all the good things I can think of.

The room was not exceptionally dirty, but the shower curtain had mold along the bottom and the shower floor was dirty. Based on other reviews I had brought cleaning supplies and was grateful for that. Also when they "cleaned" the room, all they did was replace the towels.

Normally the moldy shower curtain is not a big deal, but the shower in this room was so small there is no way to take a shower without the shower curtain clinging to you, so the mold is a bigger issue than usual. Really small shower. I showered in smaller, but that was in a pop up camper.

The room was very small as well. Both beds are pressed up against the wall. That's a big issue for the one that is against the air conditioning/heating unit. No way you can leave the heater on and not risk your bedspread ending up blocking it during the night.

So if you just need a cheap place to stay, it's probably an OK option, but ask for a bath if at all possible.

Room Tip: Get the deluxe room but ask fo a bath.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank OlatheMom
Reviewed 8 January 2014

We needed to pull over due to icy road conditions and figured we'd save some money by staying at M6. The price ended up being $20 more than advertised due to city fees and taxes. The snow was shoveled in the parking lot, however, it was shoveled against the room entrances. This left us trouncing through 3 feet of snow only to track the snow into a carpetless room. Yes, no carpets. So after cleaning up the puddles with our (thin) room towels we finally got some sleep. Otherwise, the room was alright. Grocery store and walmart nearby. Thats about it.

• Stayed December 2013
2 Thank ivory567
oklahoma
Reviewed 3 November 2013

My husband and I stayed one night and were up until 4:00 am when police came to settle a situation. We were in room 116 right next to stairs. Adults were yelling and running up and down the stairs all night. It was game weekend and we expected some party people but these characters were not part of the weekend football fans.
I asked the people next to us if they slept and they stomped off and said NO.
TV was from the 70's, towels were not clean & bed size looked like it was for children.
Lobby smelled of smoke, I asked if we were getting a smoke free room and they said the entire facility is smoke free hmmmm.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
3 Thank Sam B
Motel6, Public Relations Manager at Motel 6 Manhattan, responded to this review, 5 November 2013
Dear Sam B,
Thank you for posting your review. We apologize for the unpleasant stay you experienced as a result of the cleanliness, odor and safety conditions you encountered. The issues you experienced are not consistent with Motel 6 standards for quality, and we encourage you to contact our guest relations department so they can have a record of your experience to help us provide you and other guests with better service in the future: 1-800-577-3435.

Travellers are raving about these Manhattan hotels

Katy, Texas
Reviewed 15 October 2013

This motel is the place I was staying in the past two nights. It cost $112 for the two nights, including my wife (extra charge) and the internet (also an extra charge). It has an outdoor pool, that also looks clean and reasonably well kept.

You get paper thin towels, which are very scratchy.The room has a television that works, but is extremely old, without input jacks other than the red, white, yellow inputs, which we could not use, as we wanted to connect it to our laptop.

The bathroom comes with a bar of soap. That is it - a bar of soap. Our room had no radio or clock. The motel provides an ice machine, but it is in the office area, where you need to get something for containing the ice (no ice bucket or cups in the room). They have coffee in the entrance, where you register, but only in the morning. There is nothing else - just coffee and only in the morning.

One reason I am reviewing this motel, is that I am 61 years old, the motel is less than 1/4 occupied and they put my wife and me on the second floor. I don't mind the exercise in carrying all of our bags up and down the stairs, but just think it was rather stupid for them to do that to us. A second reason I am writing this is for the fact that it's sign said WiFi, but failed to tell me before checking in that it would cost me an additional $6.48.

As a recommendation, I would suggest other accommodations. However, if choices are really limited, it is clean and the rooms are not really cramped. I just wrote this to let you know what you should expect for $56 per night (includes taxes).

Room Tip: Request a ground floor room, unless you like the exercise. Ask for a room on the side away from the...
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Keven_Fry
Motel6, Public Relations Manager at Motel 6 Manhattan, responded to this review, 17 October 2013
Dear Keven_Fry,
We apologize for your unsatisfactory stay and thank you for taking the time to submit a review. We encourage you to contact our guest relations department so they can have a record of your experience to help us provide our guests with better service in the future. 1-800-577-3435
Menomonie, WI
Reviewed 8 October 2013

AVOID THIS PLACE LIKE THE PLAGUE! The manager was the rudest manager I have ever seen at any motel in all my travels. It was the complete opposite of my last Motel 6 stay. She yelled at me, denied there was anything wrong, and refused to allow me to change rooms had I stayed. She snapped at me that there are 22 other motels in Manhattan--go stay there--and I was completely polite with her. There were flies in the room at night and a few hairs on the bed and she denied it. I told her I was thinking about staying another night and merely asked if I did stay if she could change my rooms. That is when she got very rude with me. She acted like I was trying to get a free night when I just wanted a room change. You would think during the slow season and as she said 22 other hotels in the area, they would want to keep their guests happy and not be rude with a paid guest. Thankfully, I had only paid for one night and took her up on her suggestion.

I will NEVER stay there EVER again and I would recommend that you avoid it as well.

Room Tip: No tips--except to avoid this place!
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled solo
2 Thank starshine90
Dear starshine90,
Thank you for taking the time to write your review.We sincerely apologize for the unsatisfactory service issues you encountered during your recent stay. These conditions are note consistent with our standards for quality at Motel 6. We encourage your contact our guest relations department to report your experience so may serve you better in the future: 1-800-557-3435.