“Surprisingly Awesome!”

Extended Stay America - Kansas City - Shawnee Mission
Ranked #5 of 5 Hotels in Merriam
Reviewed 17 April 2013

Stayed here on two non-consecutive nights in April. Both rooms were great... WAY better than several of the pictures shown in other reviews. Perhaps they've invested and cleaned the rooms up... our second room had brand new carpeting and faux wood floors in the kitchen/bathroom area!

The only complaint that I would have involves the check-in process the second night. We were watching a movie and returned at 12:40, late night. The lobby was closed but there was a number and a phone. We had to stand outside and wait for a person to show up for 15 minutes in 40 degree temperatures so that we could have a room that we had already paid for. Other than that, this place was a dream!

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled with family
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Kansas City - Shawnee Mission, responded to this reviewResponded 26 April 2013

Thank you so much for posting a review of our property. I'm thrilled that "this place was a dream" and that you like the new carpeting and floors. Please accept our apologies that you had to wait outside after hours for the night attendant to open the office. I have spoken to the staff about being available to our guests at all times, regardless of the hour.

There are newer reviews for Extended Stay America - Kansas City - Shawnee Mission

Reviewed 8 April 2013

Forced to stay here for work otherwise would have left day one. The beds are horrible. Noise from train and interstate traffic is horrible. Watch were you step over the dog feces. Pretty much enless you are forced or get this place on the cheap and know what you are dealing with don't do it.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled on business
vguerke, Manager at Extended Stay America - Kansas City - Shawnee Mission, responded to this reviewResponded 10 April 2013

I am sorry to hear that your stay was uncomfortable. I sincerely apologize that, after the recent snow event, we were lax in our efforts to keep up with the cleaning of pet feces. Going forward, we will work diligently with our guests and staff to insure this issue remains minimal at best. We will also develop a pet walking area for our guests.
While we cannot control the noise from the highway and train traffic, we will make it part of our routine to offer our guests the option to room as distant as possible from the noise.
We appreciate your survey and your concerns as we are certain they will assist us in developing better stays for our future guests.

Reviewed 25 March 2013

Visited Kansas for a convention and stayed here when my normal hotel filled up unexpectedly and found the place to be delightful. The staff was friendly and the room was clean and in good repair. It was also located extremely close to my event.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank Southlander_47
vguerke, Manager at Extended Stay America - Kansas City - Shawnee Mission, responded to this reviewResponded 27 March 2013

I received a copy of your review, and wanted to thank you for taking the time out of your busy schedule to write such wonderful things about our property. I'm so happy to hear that you were more than pleased with your accommodations and that you found our staff to be inviting and friendly. Thank you for choosing Extended Stay Hotels. We hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed 26 February 2013

I've been forced to stay here for work twice now. There are people living here. The rooms are dirty, and the beds are like sleeping on a piece of plywood. I'm going to have to see a chiropractor to eliminate the excruciating pain caused by the beds. I wouldn't pay $1 a night to stay here. Only gave it one dot because I had to. It deserves 0 dots. It is beyond terrible.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled on business
vguerke, Manager at Extended Stay America - Kansas City - Shawnee Mission, responded to this reviewResponded 27 February 2013

I received a copy of your review, and wanted to take a moment to personally respond. I am truly sorry to hear that your room conditions were deplorable and that you are in pain due to our new mattresses. To prevent this from happening again, my team is going to go through extensive re-training in room cleanliness as well as inspection of room that has recently been cleaned. I appreciate you bringing this to our attention. If you have any additional feedback, please reach out to me at MER@extendedstay.com. I do hope that you will return to our hotel, or any other Extended Stay Hotels location in the future.

Reviewed 22 September 2012

Don't let the exterior fool you! This place is in need of serious attention. First room we were in was horrifying. Non smoking room with a burn in the bed spread. Brown puddle of water....or something...in the kitchen area. Carpet was worn & raveling at the edges. We had no shower curtain. Mold on the bathtub tiles. The fridge seal around the door was moldy & falling apart. But the most distributing thing was what we discovered under the bed. The fabric that is generally attached on the underside of the box springs was hanging down and upon closer inspection we found it was covered in a considerable amount of petrified animal droppings (at least we assumed it was an animal). We immediately complained to the office. We were given another room, which was better, but still had a few issues (carpet was ripply, dirt on walls, picture was on the wall upside down). The clerk never even came to see the issues with the original room. Seemed very unconcerned. My husband called the corporate number to register a complaint. Waiting on a call back at this time. Oh...two last things...the police were in the parking lot & appeared to be looking for someone. And the wifi had a virus that corrupted my laptop so badly that I had to do a system recovery. In closing, I recommend you avoid this hotel of horrors at all costs.

• Stayed: September 2012
1  Thank lisa89j
Manager_11525, Manager at Extended Stay America - Kansas City - Shawnee Mission, responded to this reviewResponded 24 September 2012

I recently received a copy of your review of our hotel. Our company prides itself on providing great service and great rooms at great rates, which is why I was so disappointed to read your post. Please accept my most sincere apologies.

Let me apologize again that your stay was not completely satisfying, and assure you that we will continue to listen to our guests in forums like this one. I hope we have addressed your concern satisfactorily, and that you would give us the pleasure of having you as a guest again at this hotel or any other Extended Stay Hotels(sm) brand location in the future.

Reviewed 18 August 2012

The pictures on the Internet is not what you get when at the suites. The ac was broke, bathroom sink stopped up and the toilet. There was mold under the bathroom sink. The room had a terrible smell. Overall the suite was a horrible mistake. I slept in my clothes that's how bad it was. The staff at the front desk was a complete fool and I don't think he knew his job. Please don't waste your money.

• Stayed: July 2012
1  Thank Javante
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Kansas City - Shawnee Mission, responded to this reviewResponded 20 August 2012

The experience you described is truly regrettable. We strive to ensure that our guests have an exceptional stay. As this hotel's manager, I can assure you that I have brought each of the issues you expressed to the attention of our staff.

Reviewed 3 August 2012

I stayed here one night. The desk clerk was friendly and check-in was simple. He accommodated my location request (downstairs, non-smoking). There was a slightly loud party going on in the courtyard when I arrived, but there was no more noise after around 10 pm. The room was modest, but clean and without odor. No frills, but I definitely didn't expect any for an inexpensive hotel. I slept well overnight. When I went to check-out the next morning, no one was in the office for the 5 minutes I waited, so I left and forgot to call back to officially checkout. However, my credit card was charged appropriately, so no harm there.
This hotel is probably about the quality of a GOOD Motel 6, but also has kitchen facilities. I paid the same for it ($63) as I did for a NASTY hotel outside of St. Louis, so I thought it was a good value.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled solo
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Kansas City - Shawnee Mission, responded to this reviewResponded 6 August 2012

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay at our hotel . We are committed to providing every guest with outstanding accommodations, so I was pleased to read your remarks about your room. Of course, I was disheartened to read that your stay wasn't 100% satisfactory. For that I am truly sorry.

It is my pleasure to respond to your concern about our front desk hours. I regret that we did not successfully communicate our front desk hours to you prior to your arrival. Our front desk operates between 7am and 11pm seven days/week. In the event that our guests need assistance during other hours, we always have on-staff overnight help that can be reached by phone.

Although it is unusual for a guest to have the experience you did while staying with us, we would like to use your account to help us make our hotel even better. Again, I am deeply sorry that you did not have a completely enjoyable stay at our hotel, and I promise that we are focused on total guest satisfaction every day. Please don't hesitate to reach out to me at this hotel or to our guest relations team directly by visiting our website and clicking the Contact Us link at the bottom of the page. I do hope that you will let me demonstrate our redoubled efforts in the future here or at any of our other locations throughout the U.S. and in Canada.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Merriam
Drury Inn Kansas City Shawnee Mission
Super 8 Merriam Shawnee
Hampton Inn & Suites Merriam
Econo Lodge Inn & Suites I-35 at Shawnee Mission
Econo Lodge Inn & Suites I-35 at...
#30 of 37 in Overland Park
WoodSpring Suites Kansas City Mission
Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites Overland Park West

Been to Extended Stay America - Kansas City - Shawnee Mission? Share your experiences!