“blah rooms but super staff”

Extended Stay America - Kansas City - Shawnee Mission
Ranked #5 of 5 Hotels in Merriam
Reviewed 24 October 2013

We checked in at almost closing time and the clerk was still very pleasant, took time to answer our tourist questions and made sure everything was set, never once looking at a clock or mentioning the time. Follow up the next day for a hair dryer (not supplied in the room) the next clerk was just as nice and offered more help. Don't expect much for the room quality at this price, but everything was clean. Lauren was especially helpful and nice to work with.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Kansas City - Shawnee Mission, responded to this reviewResponded 25 October 2013

John - Thank you for your recent review of your stay. I am pleased to read your remarks about our staff, especially Lauren. As well, I am glad that you liked your clean room. We hope we have the opportunity to see you again in the future.

Reviewed 22 October 2013

We stayed at this property for one evening on our way to Denver CO. The front desk associate was very friendly and answered any questions we had. Our room was updated with fresh paint, and linens and made for a very comfortable nights stay. Both the bathroom and kitchen were very clean. My only minimal complaint would be that their were not any drinking glasses in the room. We found an empty dish rack located under the sink, but no glasses to be found in the cabinets anywhere. Besides that one minor glitch the I would definitely suggest staying at this property again.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Kansas City - Shawnee Mission, responded to this reviewResponded 24 October 2013

It is so rewarding to read that you had a wonderful stay with us on your way to Denver, CO. Thank you for your comments. We appreciate you letting us know that you were not able to find any tumblers in your room. We are sorry for this issue, but are happy to read that you found the room to be well appointed and very clean. Also, I am pleased to read that you found our staff to be courteous.

Reviewed 15 October 2013

My real rating would be 1 1/2 stars.

Here's how it racks up on the DivaDelish scale.

Security: 1 1/2 stars. Ground floor room with external door--which I don't like, period, in any location. But why does this configuration seem to happen most often in "iffy" areas? The exterior locks didn't seem very sturdy. Window opened too easily. When we got up one morning, we found a car outside our room (fortunately not ours!) with a window broken out.

Cleanliness. 1 star. Mold, dust, bugs. Feet turned black walking on the carpet. Didn't smell too bad, though. It was a smoking room--all they said they had left--which was obvious from the burns everywhere. Blanket on the bed was torn in places, comforter was stained.

Comfort. 11/2 stars. Air conditioner did not work well. No place for putting your stuff in the bathroom--tiny, tiny counter. And the Diva always has a bunch of stuff! The mirror in the main room was mostly obscured behind the bolted-down TV. Only one bedside table. I had to arm-wrestle my DH for that side of the bed. Fortunately, I won. I cheated. Also, very noisy--right beside the interstate, and near a very, very busy train line that runs all night--so train whistles end up blowing constantly.

Service. 1 star. Friendly, but not efficient or knowledgeable or always helpful.. At check out, we were given a bill listing a rate $20 higher a night than what we had booked on line. We're still not sure if we got charged once, twice or not at all for the room, or what we ended up paying for it. Maid service only if you stay there for 8 nights or longer.

Amenities: 1 1/2 stars. Offers a kitchen, with mini fridge, microwave, sink, and 2 burner stove. Supposedly stocked. BUT--flatware consisted of 2 spoons and 1 knife, no forks. They did supply 2 plates, 2 bowls, 2 cups, and 1 drinking glass, as well as a saucepan and a frying pan. No way to wash dishes, unless you go out and buy a sponge and dish soap. Internet is slow unless you want to pay extra for high speed. The kicker: No facial tissue. Sorry, but sometimes I want to blow my nose--and TP just doesn't cut it.

Finally, Value: 2 stars. It was cheap. It felt like it. You should be able to get cheap, but clean and safe, in my lofty opinion.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your stay. I am happy to read your remark about the staff being friendly. However, I am very sorry that our room did not meet your expectations. We are often able to reserve certain rooms for guests that are located further away from the noise of the highway. Also there are two locks on each window to ensure absolute safety for our guests. To uphold our company's high standards, we will ensure that each and every room is thoroughly cleaned and inspected as well as stocked with all necessary utensils in order to move forward. At the front desk there are complimentary packets of dish soap available and each room has kitchen towels.

We continually work to improve our hotel, so I really appreciate you providing us with your feedback. If you have any additional feedback, please reach out to me at mer2@extendedstay.com. It would be our pleasure to have you stay with us again in the future to show you our positive strides taken to enhance your experience with us.

Reviewed 11 September 2013

First time ever staying at an Extended Stay. Would definately stay here again. They were helpful in getting me some local maps..I marked terrible by mistake for pool..I dont think they have one...Staff was very friendly!

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled solo
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Kansas City - Shawnee Mission, responded to this reviewResponded 13 September 2013

Chad - The team and I appreciate your kind remarks. I am so glad that you enjoyed your first stay at our hotel and that you would definitely return. As well, it is great to know that our staff provided you with excellent customer service.

Thank you for choosing Extended Stay Hotels. We hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed 18 August 2013

The price is fantastic for what you get, which is a comfortable bed, bare bone amenities such as soap & shampoo, but it's very clean, rooms are nicely set up, and the bed is comfortable. Although the hotel was packed when I stayed, there was parking available for everyone. Never made it to the free breakfast, but got a cup of coffee on my way out the door. I recommend this hotel for easy access, an inexpensive night's stay in reasonable comfort, cleanliness and safety.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Kansas City - Shawnee Mission, responded to this reviewResponded 21 August 2013

The staff and I read your review, and would like to thank you for writing such wonderful things about our clean and comfortable rooms. We were glad that you found the price to be a "fantastic" value.

Once again, thank you for your review. It would be our pleasure for you to repeat your experience with us in the future.

Reviewed 9 August 2013 via mobile

Issue after issue just stay away from this hotel. Forced here for work and hate every moment here. Posted another review in April nothing has changed. If you can get a good rate and can deal with bad internet, sub par rooms, and sub par service this place is it.

• Stayed: August 2013

I appreciate you bringing your experience to our attention. I sincerely apologize that your experience did not meet your expectations. I discussed your comments with the team, and we are striving to enhance all aspects of our product.

I am grateful for the feedback you provided so we are able to continually improve our hotel. If you would like to discuss this further, please do not hesitate to contact me at mer@extendedstay.com.

Thank you for providing me with your feedback. We do hope you will choose to stay with us again so we can have the opportunity to provide you with a better experience.

Reviewed 18 July 2013

I'm came here through the company for a 2 week training course which the company made the reservations. Upon my arrival, I had to wait over 10 minutes for the front desk clerk to return. The lobby had a FOUL odor. The room was seemed as if it wasn't cleaned. There was a stain on the bedspread, the bathroom was dirty (hair on the floor), the internet was out for 2 days, curtains didn't close all the way so I used my shoe to keep it closed. They charge $2 for wash and $2 for drying. Youre better off going to a laundry mat. There isn't a pool or any other type of facility to relax or workout. I will not recommend this or any other Extended Stay America to my friends, family or coworkers.

Room Tip: Don't stay here. You can hear others guests when they use the restroom