Extended Stay America - Kansas City - Shawnee Mission
Ranked #5 of 5 Hotels in Merriam
Reviewed 27 May 2014

First of all we were moved to this hotel because the other extended stay that we were supposed to stay at "overbooked" there rooms. How does that happen? We stayed two days and noone cleaned our room the following day and noone brought us extra towels. Its the kind of hotel you wouldn't want to walk barefoot in. They did pay for one of our days for having to move hotels which was nice. No bathroom in the lobby either and took forever to check in. Bad customer service.

Room Tip: No pool. No bathroom in lobby. Slow checkin.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Kansas City - Shawnee Mission, responded to this reviewResponded 29 May 2014

Audrey - I appreciate you bringing your experience to our attention. Please accept our most sincere apologies for moving you to another one of our ten Extended Stay Americas located in the Kansas City area. In addition, I apologize that our housekeeping services were not explained thoroughly at check-in. Please know, housekeeping services are provided once a week for guests who stay eight nights or more. For guests staying less than a week, and for guests who desire additional housekeeping services, we offer the opportunity to purchase full housekeeping or refresh services for a nominal fee. In addition, we always offer upon request, complimentary exchange service at the front desk for items such as towels, bed linens, and soap.

Our team is committed to satisfying our guests, so we are very thankful for your feedback. If you would like to discuss this further, please do not hesitate to contact me at mer@extendedstay.com. I do hope that you will return to our hotel, or any of our other brand locations across the U.S. and Canada in the future.

Reviewed 26 April 2014

Stayed in room 176. Compared with other Extended Stay locations my room was relatively modern looking and spacious. It had a flat screen TV with the usual basic channels plus Showtime. Microwave, fridge, etc all clean and in working order. The iron worked VERY well which was a plus! Large closet to hang my suits including sturdy wooden hangers and a chest for stowing other valuables. The exterior looked a bit rundown especially the flaking paint on the stairway but the interior was very pleasant.

The breakfast was the usual Extended Stay deal of coffee and take away items such as packaged muffins and granola bars. It doesn't cost any extra so it's a nice extra for the price if not an entirely satisfying first meal of the day. On the downside, there is no gym or fitness room. However, there is a Gold's Gym atop the hill that overlooks the hotel and they have a link-up with Extended stay whereby you can purchase $5 temp memberships from the hotel front office to gain access to the gym. So that's a good, cheap option if you want to work out.

I must also add that the staff were very pleasant and friendly. When I arrived I wasn't in the best of moods after a rough day and many hours of traveling. Nevertheless, I was warmly welcomed by the girl at reception whose own cheerful disposition soon improved my own mood. All in all I would say it's a decent option for business travelers.

Room Tip: I stayed in room 176 which is upstairs but it was very clean and pleasant.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
Manager_11525, Manager at Extended Stay America - Kansas City - Shawnee Mission, responded to this reviewResponded 30 April 2014

Thank you so much for sharing your experience with us. I’m happy to hear that you enjoyed our friendly staff and spacious suites with fully equipped kitchens at a great value. Thank you for choosing Extended Stay Hotels. I do hope that you will return to our hotel, or any of our other brand locations across the U.S. and Canada in the future.

Reviewed 25 March 2014

This was our second time here. Made the reservation online, checked in and the room was what we asked for.
The room was clean, smelled fine and had everything advertised.
We stayed three nights and it was a trip away from the kids. We enjoyed ourselves.

Room Tip: Any room here would be fine.
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Kansas City - Shawnee Mission, responded to this reviewResponded 26 March 2014

The team and I appreciate your kind remarks. We are pleased to know that the cleanliness of your room met your expectations during your visit with us. Thank you for choosing Extended Stay Hotels. We look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Reviewed 11 March 2014 via mobile

Second time staying here, and NOT by choice, staying here for a business trip. This time I got the "deluxe" room. First thing I noticed when I walked in was the smell, which was a mixture of vinegar, burnt sugar, urine, cigarette butts, and a musk that lingers. I took a peek around and noticed what I thought at first to be burns in the carpet but to my relief it was just dead bugs and what I think to be either black rice or rat feces. Secondly I examined the sheets which I think where made from 75% cotton and 25% human hair, there was human hair embedded in both the sheets and blankets! The fridge barely shuts, one of the burners doesn't work, the microwave smells like a million microwaved dinners, the flooring is coming apart, and the toilet clogs frequently. Soon as I got here after only having 3 hrs of sleep, only wanting to rest, I had to go walmart to get cleaning supplies and disinfecting wipes, so I could wipe down everything that I would be touching, leaving 4 very brown soggy wet wipes. I hope I never have to seen another extended stay America in my life.

• Stayed: March 2014
Manager_11525, Manager at Extended Stay America - Kansas City - Shawnee Mission, responded to this reviewResponded 18 March 2014

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay. I apologize for the level of cleanliness and odors in your room and I am working with our entire staff to improve our cleaning procedures so that your experience is not repeated. Also, your feedback regarding our overall accommodations will help us in our efforts to continually improve our hotels. Again, thanks for the comments. We do hope that you will give us another chance to provide you with a better experience in the near future.

Reviewed 25 February 2014

The price was not bad for the value of the facility and service. The hotel is in a decent location. It has easy freeway access, close to all store types, and restaurant. The Hotel room were clean and plenty of pillows and towels were given.

• Stayed: February 2014
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Kansas City - Shawnee Mission, responded to this reviewResponded 26 February 2014

I want to thank you for taking the time to post a review of our hotel. I am glad that you enjoyed our convenient location and your clean room. As well, it’s wonderful to hear that our staff provided you with great service during your stay with us. We look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Reviewed 25 January 2014

We booked our reservation online through the Extended Stay America website. Upon arrival, we were told that they didn't have a reservation. At that time I pulled up the confirmation email on my phone. The front desk lady was very very rude and continued to tell us they didn't have room and we would have to go to the other location (several miles out of our way). We asked for the managers name and that's when she started to cooperate a bit and at least and get us a room. We got to the room ready to relax after a day of traveling and found a very small room with barely enough room to walk around, dirty surfaces, spider webs in corners, dirty bathtub, and a very disappointing "fully equipped" kitchen--seriously? On top of awful service, we had an awful hotel room. We have stayed in many many hotel rooms and this ranks as one of the worst experiences yet. Don't book a reservation here with high expectations! You will surely be disappointed! We won't be returning to this location. Ever.

Room Tip: Don't choose one of these.
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Kansas City - Shawnee Mission, responded to this reviewResponded 28 January 2014

Dear Mariah,

Your review for our hotel was recently brought to my attention. I would like to apologize for the difficulty you had with your reservation. The treatment you described receiving from our Guest Service representative is unacceptable, and I sincerely apologize for your check-in experience. As this hotel’s manager, I can assure you that I have addressed the staff to ensure your experience is not repeated. We strive to provide guests with all the comforts of home, so I am also disappointed to hear that you found the cleanliness of your room to be below our standards and that you were not satisfied with our kitchen. I met with the staff and we are committed to cleaning and maintaining our rooms to ensure our room conditions meet the expectations of our guests. Your feedback is very important to us, so thank you for sharing. Please feel free to contact me directly at mer@extendedstay.com with any additional comments or questions. I do hope that you will return to our hotel, or any other Extended Stay Hotels in the future.

David

Reviewed 7 January 2014

The thermostat for the room was broken and the heater would not turn off. We were told we were stupid and this was just because the weather was cold. They did FINALLY agree to look at it and the thermostat WAS broken. No apology nor offer of a discount. Bathroom was moldy and the "fully equipped" kitchen was a joke. Don't bother with this one!

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Denver_Grandma1960
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Kansas City - Shawnee Mission, responded to this reviewResponded 10 January 2014

I appreciate you taking the time to write a review of your experience with us. I am so sorry that our staff did not attend to your needs properly or in a professional manner. As this hotel's manager, I can assure you that I have spoken with the entire team about your situation and am coaching them on how to provide better customer service moving forward. As well, please know, our maintenance staff has repaired the heater in your room.

Thanks to your feedback, we can continue to work on providing an exceptional stay for all of our guests. Please contact me, at mer@extendedstay.com, if you would like to discuss this further. We would love to have another chance to provide you with a better experience at our hotel the next time you're in town.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Merriam
Super 8 Merriam Shawnee
Drury Inn Kansas City Shawnee Mission
Econo Lodge Inn & Suites I-35 at Shawnee Mission
Econo Lodge Inn & Suites I-35 at...
#30 of 37 in Overland Park
Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Kansas City at Village West
Hampton Inn & Suites Merriam
Extended Stay America - Kansas City - Lenexa - 87th St.

Been to Extended Stay America - Kansas City - Shawnee Mission? Share your experiences!