“Good place to stay over holidays”

Hampton Inn & Suites Merriam
Ranked #2 of 5 Hotels in Merriam
Reviewed 2 December 2013

We stayed here for 3 days over thanksgiving when we visited our parents in Shawnee. The location was close to their house and the property was very clean. for the price, it was an excellent deal. It was such a relief to find clean sheets... a decent breakfast... nice staff... and some excellent space. Thanks!

Room Tip: Make reservations in advance... it might sell out. :)
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Keith H
Victoria A, General Manager at Hampton Inn & Suites Merriam, responded to this reviewResponded 4 December 2013

Sir, thank you so much for the kind words! I can't wait to share your feedback with the staff! I am so glad that you enjoyed your stay us with while visiting your parents over the Thanksgiving Holiday! Be sure to call us if you're back this way for Christmas!

Thank you for choosing to stay with us and taking to time review and share your experience! We really appreciate it!

We hope we'll see you again soon!

Reviewed 30 November 2013

I selected this hotel due to its close proximity to the Shawnee Mission Medical Center. It is the closest hotel to the hospital. The room was comfortable and the price was good. It was quiet and the staff was friendly.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank Dana L

Hello! Thank you for staying us and thank you for reviewing our hotel! Hearing from our guests is how we improve and pass on kudos to the staff for a job well done!

I am glad your enjoyed your visit with us! It nice that you were near to where you needed to be and had a good nights rest!

We hope if you ever need to be back in the area you will stay with us!

Reviewed 18 November 2013

This is my second stay at this Hampton. All is as well as you would expect with the chain. The only problem I had was you could not watch TV while sitting and working at the room desk, because view of the TV is blocked by a tall stand which holds the microwave & refrigerator. This unit should be moved to another part of the room.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank zaurdmz

Thank you so much for staying with us sir and thank you for taking time to review our hotel. Feedback is the best way we improve our property and service.

I am glad you find our rooms clean and staff friendly! We are looking at the possibility of moving the fridge/microwave cabinet to the opposite side of the work desk, which would allow guests to watch TV while working. There are few logistics to work out in regards to electricity outlets and how we might make it work but its something we are considering and trying to make possible!

We hope you'll stay with us again!

Reviewed 15 November 2013

I am a Hilton Gold member (not that this hotel noticed) and often stay in Hampton Inns. Because they usually have prime locations near the highway, I always request a room in the back. In this hotel, however, there is a train track directly beside the hotel and 4 trains passed by hotel during the night. I realize the hotel has little control over that, but I would not stay here again for that reason.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
Victoria A, General Manager at Hampton Inn & Suites Merriam, responded to this reviewResponded 16 November 2013

Hello! I hope you are having a good weekend! Thank you staying with us and thank you for reviewing our hotel. Feedback is the best way we improve.

I am so sorry that the trains kept you from getting a good night's sleep. I know that is important when traveling. I am very sorry you didn't feel recognized as a Hilton Honors Gold Member. Any specific feedback you could provide as to how we could better serve you would be greatly appreciated. We want to know what we can do to ensure our guests know how much we value their staying loyally with Hilton.

Please call or email me so we can discuss your stay in more detail and we can learn what we can do better next time!

Thank you so much!

Reviewed 2 November 2013

The young man that checked us in was very nice. After that, it just went downhill. There are train tracks behind the hotel so you hear them rumbling through at all hours. It's a no horn blowing area, so that's helpful. Room was nice and large for just being a standard room and not a suite. We had issues with the front desk staff. My husband had to go down to the desk to get a wakeup call set because nobody was at the desk to answer the phone. Our last night, the tv's in the entire hotel went down. We were credited a movie to our room to watch, but we couldn't get it to work. Breakfast was ok. We had eggs every day but one. Husband was after biscuits and gravy, but we never got them. Also, when you had to park at the back of the lot, you had to walk around to the front to get in because the pool door wouldn't accept our key. They did resolve our issues, but this just wasn't up to what we usually experience at Hampton.

Room Tip: With the train tracks, a room toward the front of the hotel would be quieter.
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Michelle L
Victoria A, General Manager at Hampton Inn & Suites Merriam, responded to this reviewResponded 7 November 2013

Hello! I know we spoke a few times via phone, however I again wanted to apologize for all that you experienced.

With the new satilate TV we had installed to offer our guests an additional 40 channels and everything in HD, bad weather or even a bird landing on the satelite can affect the connection and disturb the cable.

We have a new person at the front desk that evening who wasn't aware of how to exactly turn on the movie capabilites for you room but we reviewed that with the entire staff after you and I spoke so everyone is in the know!

We do offer a varitey a breakfast and biscuits and gravy is served, but just once a week and it didn't fall on the days you were here! If you request it with the front, we can try to adjust the menu sometime to try and accommodate our guests.

Our pool door lock has been replaced and is working great!

I do apologize that no one was at the desk to answer the phone. We have new cordless phone that allows us to be away from the front and still receive calls so that should not be any problem for us going forward!

Thanks again for the feedback! We have taken it to heart and worked to improve!

Reviewed 31 October 2013

The staff at this Hampton Inn were very friendly and helpful. They assisted us with getting a room that would help our kids sleep better and everyone was so helpful. We enjoyed the breakfast and several times the staff asked if they could get us anything. The coffee was hot and the food was good. Lots of choices from kid friendly items to adult tastes.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank mkeller517

Good Morning! Thank you for staying with us and thank you for the great review! It is great to hear that our staff wored to get you into a room that was best to acommodate you on your stay! I am very happy to hear our stay was so friendly and always concerned about ensuring the quality of your stay was excellent!

I am happy you enjoyed breakfast too!

You can be assured I will pass this positive feedback onto the team! It will really make their day!

Please do not hesitate to let me know if there is anything further I can for you!

We hope to see you again soon!

Thanks again,

Reviewed 26 October 2013

Although typical great service of Hampton Inn, I was not happy with lack of shuttle service and no restaurant or bar within walking distance. I spent $27 for taxi service to eat dinner at a close restaurant. If hotel does not invest in a shuttle van, I will never stay at this hotel again.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with Hampton

Hello! Thanks for taking time to review our hotel! I know we spoke a few times! I have passed on the guest request for a shuttle to my managment team. As a member on the Merriam Chamber and CVB, we are working to get more nearby dining options!

One day in not so distant future I hope we can provide a shuttle or have more places to eat within walking distance!

Please do not hesitate to reach out if there is anything further I can do for you!

Thanks again,
victoria.agredo@hilton.com

Also consider these accommodations in or near Merriam
Drury Inn Kansas City Shawnee Mission
Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites Overland Park West
Hampton Inn Kansas City/Overland Park
Super 8 Merriam Shawnee
Hawthorn Suites by Wyndham Overland Park
Homewood Suites by Hilton Kansas City/Overland Park

Been to Hampton Inn & Suites Merriam? Share your experiences!