“A welcome that has continued for 10 years”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Gayhurst
Mill Farm Bed & Breakfast
Ranked #1 of 1 Gayhurst B&B and Inns
Totnes, United Kingdom
“A welcome that has continued for 10 years”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 February 2013

My first experience of staying at Mill Farm was around 10 years ago and before I had a mobile or Satnav. Coming up from Devon to find your way through Milton Keynes to Newport Pagnal at night and on your own was quite a challenge, I had planned to arrive at 9pm - after many errors of navigation, I eventually arrived at 11pm. The farmhouse seemed to have gone to bed and with some apprehension I rang the bell. A window from upstaurs opened and there was Mrs Adams in her nightdress, with a cheerful and welcoming 'Oh just come in though the door over there and I will show you your room'. I have stayed there every time I come up to fence in a competition in that area and have always been made to feel so welcome.

The rooms are fine and while the btahrooms are shared I have never met a problem in having to queue for a shower. The breakfasts are good. On the farm lands are some large lakes teaming with birdlife. One can have a very pleasant stay

For the price being asked I have no hesitation in recommending this B and B to others.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank jimtheswordsman
MillFarmGayhurst, Owner at Mill Farm Bed & Breakfast, responded to this review, 22 February 2013
Thankyou Jim Please keep coming to Mill Farm!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Houston, Texas
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 June 2011

I stayed at Mill Farm for five nights with my family (two adults and two children) while visiting my father who lives in nearby Newport Pagnell. We stayed in the "family room". The room had two single beds pushed together for my wife and I and a sofa bed that had been made up for our young children. There were also coffee/tea making facilities and a television. According to the owners, the room had just been redecorated with new paint, new carpet; and a new ensuite bathroom with a shower and toilet had been installed. The room was quite pleasant although the carpet looked a little dirty and there were "bits and pieces" under the beds that were probably left over from the construction work. The carpets would definitely have benefited from a vacuum and shampoo. The bathroom was clean although we had trouble getting the shower to work. We had to use a shower in another bathroom until the owner explained how to use the ensuite shower. Since the shower had only just been installed I don't think the owner new how to use it properly because she was not able to show us how to use it until the second night of our stay. The toilet also had - to me - an usual design and made a lot of noise when flushed.

The property looked as nice as shown in the photo on the B&B's website (http://www.millfarmgayhurst.co.uk/). The countryside location and the well-kept garden were the most enjoyable features for us. There was a huge and beautiful horse-chestnut tree at the back of the property that also overlooked a small paddock with grazing sheep. Our 5-year old daughter particularly enjoyed seeing the sheep since she is a big fan of the "Shaun the Sheep" cartoons. The owners allowed us to walk around their farm property and we walked to a nearby river as well as around a field that had more sheep. There were also several public footpaths across the property that hikers will enjoy.

The breakfast was adequate. A traditional English cooked breakfast was available as well as cereal, toast, yoghurt, orange juice, and coffee or tea. We have had nicer breakfasts at other B&Bs and hotels so I would rate the breakfast as average. The owner brought three or four halves of toast to the table (i.e., two slices) and we had to ask for more if we wanted it.

As far as general service goes we felt it was just about adequate. The website states that a "warm welcome" is guaranteed but we felt the welcome could have been warmer. The owner was unsmiling throughout our stay she did not thank us for staying. During the final morning we felt that we were being rushed to finish our breakfast and leave as soon as possible when she made a comment about needing to prepare "for the next lot" of people staying at the farm. After breakfast the owner came to our room while we were packing our things and she told us we had to leave at 10am. She had not previously mentioned a specific "check-out" time and so this took us by surprise a little. She said the next people would be arriving at 10:30 am. This may have been true although we felt it was a tactic to get us out of the house as quickly as possible. We actually felt that we were being kicked out of the house. The owner did not say anything to us when we paid her or left the house.

In summary, we enjoyed the garden and views across surrounding fields but we were quite glad to leave at the end of our stay because we did not feel very welcome.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled with family
4 Thank AlanTexas
Kaye A, Owner at Mill Farm Bed & Breakfast, responded to this review, 26 January 2013
I am new to tripadvisor and had no idea someone had left me this review. Having checked my records I note that this was a family that stayed with me for a week and at no time did they give me any indication that they were unhappy. I strive to make your stay with us in our family home as comfortable and enjoyabl as possible. I am so sorry that this person was dissatisfied and did not, during the whole seven days they stayed with me, discuss their concerns with me so that I could sort them out. On leaving they seemed quite happy and payed their bill in full. Thank you

Been to Mill Farm Bed & Breakfast? Share your experiences!