“"Hiring cook and wait staff"”

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
Colonial Steakhouse
Ranked #7 of 16 Restaurants in Oakley
Cuisines: American, Steakhouse
Aurora, Colorado
“"Hiring cook and wait staff"”
Reviewed 10 April 2014

We stopped in Oakley, KS at the Colonial Steakhouse on our way back to Denver. I had eaten there many years ago and it was pretty good.
As we pulled into the parking lot the sign under the steakhouse sign indicated they were hiring cooks and wait staff.....guess we now know why....
I think there were only 2 waitresses working while we were there and I think they were feeling a bit overwhelmed.
I asked what kind of steak cut the "Flat Iron Steak" was and the waitress looked at me like I was speaking another language and said, "I don't understand?" Then said, "It's like the others..." and pointed to the menu list of Sirloin, Rib Eye and Filet steaks. Hmmmm.....really? OK... So I ordered the "Flat Iron Steak" Rare/Medium Rare, husband had the Ruben sandwich. Mine came with salad bar, which was from a bowl of not so good looking lettuce pieces at the bottom of the bowl, some sides, croutons, bacon bits and sunflower seeds. Not a very good looking salad bar for sure. Glad I didn't try the buffet next to it.....We also ordered battered mushrooms for appetizers and then found out later that they were out of them. Got our meals and my steak was well done, not rare or medium rare or even medium! UGH! Flavor was great on the steak but way over cooked. Waitress did not come back to ask how our meal was or for me to tell her it was overcooked. Tried to get her attention several times and so I ate half (as much as I could handle) then finally called her over to tell her. She took half the price off of our bill for the over cooked steak and said she was sorry. My husband enjoyed his sandwich but over all not impressed, especially since the normal price of the steak is $14. $9 steak at best. Probably won't return next trip east on I-70.

• Visited April 2014
1 Thank Wyldecamp

Rockport, Texas
“Worst meal I've ever paid for.”
Reviewed 8 October 2013

When we went in there were about 6 parties of 2 or 3. Two waitresses running around like the place was overwhelming. Got our order in and it included salad bar, which was a bowl of lettuce, croutons, bacon bits, and dressing. Saddest salad bar ever! My steak came cooked alright, but no seasoning whatsoever and tough. Hubby had a Jack Daniels chicken that was no great shakes. Baked potato, no butter, until rolls finally came. When we asked for a box, the waitress, whom we hadn't seen since she gave us our food, plopped the bill down, no "would you like some desert?" When we asked for the pie that was on the display,"we don't have that." Second choice, "we don't have that either." Had a Coors LIght, that was good, the best I can say about the meal and service.

• Visited October 2013