“"Oh, the a/c in here is one of the older units"”

Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Olathe North
Ranked #8 of 14 Hotels in Olathe
Reviewed 6 September 2013

Yeah, it is hot in Olathe in August. Especially if you get room 316 at this hotel. We checked in late and it was hot. My husband turned up the a/c and we figured it would cool off when we came back from dinner. It was hot around 9:30 when we returned. He called down the first evening and asked if they had a fan. Nope. It was 88 degrees Fahrenheit in our room when we decided to go to bed after our showers. It was late, we had already unpacked and after a long road trip, we weren't in the mood to call back down to insist on a room change. I poured water on my head (after the shower) and wetted a towel and put it around my neck. My husband was closest to the a/c unit and it was on, not frozen, just no fan action. I was awake the entire night. The entire night. He left for his business mtg around 7:15 am. I didn't have a car and my key card didn't work. I didn't call the desk for fear of being a pain. I finally fell asleep after a second shower and shear exhaustion. That is except for the 3 times the maid service tried breaking into the room to clean it-what part of bolting the door so you can't get in was the issue?-there was no "do not disturb sign" in our room to use-I looked. Do I sound cranky? Yeah. When my husband returned, he realized it was still quite warm or saw the expression on my face and called to the front desk to let them know the room was still hot. The maintenance guy came in. He was pleasant and said it was an older a/c unit, nothing wrong w/it. Oh ok, it's just normally almost 90 degrees in that room. He said he'd be back in a minute. Guess what? He found a fan! But they didn't have a fan the night before you say? That thought crossed my mind too. It was just a small fan, nothing exciting. But I did receive a call before he arrived with it from the front desk asking for our phone # and that he was coming back w/a fan for our use (no switch to a diff room, no apology). Apparently in case we stole the tiny little fan they would call us instead of just charging our credit card? We went to dinner hoping it would cool off. Ha, not really. We chalked it up to just not our luck, temp was at 86 now. My husband asked if we could have a late check out as he had a mtg and I had nowhere to go and no car for several hours (Stephanie at the front desk said it would be no problem, was a sweet girl actually). Check out is at noon normally. My husband arrived from his business meeting at 1:15 and as I was in the bathroom freshening up right before we left to go on our long trip home, the manager comes to our room to see if we are going to be leaving soon or staying the night. Seriously???? Do not worry. We will NEVER be staying the night there again. And we didn't steal the fan that you didn't originally have when we first asked. We feel so sorry for anyone who has to stay in room 316. Upgrade the a/c in rooms that need it or don't make them available w/out a fan to start with. The room décor was nice and the breakfast looked great-too hot/sick to want to eat. Having a workout room available 24/7 is wonderful. But if you have no sleep for almost 48 hours, those things do not matter. Not a fan of leaving this kind of review. But just moving us to a different room-wasn't full would have done the trick and netted a great review re: customer service.

Room Tip: Make sure you get a room with UPGRADED A/C. MAKE SURE!!
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Olathe North, responded to this reviewResponded 25 September 2013

Dear farmerbrownsdaughter,

Thank you for your feedback and for choosing our hotel. We aim to provide the best possible service and experience and it is always great to know from our guests on how we are doing. I apologize if this visit was a disappointment due to the condition of the room you were given and level of service received not being up to par. Your comments are noted and will be forwarded to our team to consider for enhancements needed.

Once again, thank you for staying with us and we all hope to have an opportunity to serve you again to show you our improvements.

Pam G
Case Manager
IHGCare

There are newer reviews for Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Olathe North

Reviewed 5 September 2013

A very nice, people friendly hotel. Checking in was effortlessly completed in minutes. Staff exceptionally friendly and cheerful.. Very clean room and all things worked very well.
Breakfast is as other Holiday Inn's so passable.
It served the purpose for me. Clean room and bathroom, service and value excellent and quick breakfast in the morning. Bed was very, very comfortable.
I don't think you can beat it for the money..

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 14 August 2013

The Holiday Inn Express in Olathe is a former Comfort Suites property that got converted to a HIE within the past year. As such, it isn't a typical format of a HIE property, but is still well executed.

I was upgraded to a Loft Suite, which is pretty huge as hotel rooms go. Downstairs on the multi-level suite is a living room with work desk, large TV with good picture, kitchenette, bathroom with bath. Upstairs there is another large TV, king bed, oversized whirlpool tub, walk in shower, twin sink bathroom.

This suite was so big that it was on some levels almost inconvenient. Want a drink of ice cold water from the fridge at night? Down the stairs, back up the stairs, forgot something, another trip up and down the stairs! It was like a work out!

In all fairness they appear to have plenty of options for both rooms and suites, so you can be sure to find something that works for you.

I was impressed by the excellent internet speed, clocking in at over 15Mbps, significantly faster than what one normally experiences in a hotel these day. It was also the type of system that only logs you off every 24 hours. This means your devices that use the cloud can happily back themselves up while you sleep.

Parking was easy and it was always easy to find a spot very soon from one of the entrances. There are plenty of food options within walking distance of the hotel, and even more if you get in your car.

Housekeeping was decent and the room was just about silent at night. The bed was comfortable and the pillows seemed especially good.

I certainly don't hesitate to recommend the hotel to others, it's certainly not a bad hotel at all. I'd certainly use it again for another trip to the area.

Room Tip: Be sure to consider your room choice when you book. An elderly person or person with disabilities s...
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 29 July 2013

I was recently at this hotel on business and was pleased at the renovations that were done. I was here in January during renovations and was appauled at the conditions they expected customers to put up with. The staff was very accomodating and the room was very clean and the bed was very comfortable. There was no fridge in my room so I called the front desk and within 10 minutes I had a fridge delivered to my room. I will be in the area on business several times over the next month and will definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: I was on the hwy side of the hotel and could not hear any noise, so I think any room would be a good...
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank 813travelgirl
Reviewed 27 July 2013

As you can see, this was a Comfort Suites so the rooms are not the same as the rooms in the new HI Expresses. I would like to see the breakfast area expanded or at least have some tables removed as it was crowded. The lobby is huge so there would be room to expand the breakfast seating area.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Olathe North, responded to this reviewResponded 11 August 2013

Dear buster2000,

Thank you for taking the time to convey your comments regarding your recent experience with us. We rely on you, our guest, to let us know how we are doing and how we can better meet your needs. I have taken note and wish to thank you for all your valuable comments. These are of great importance to us and allow us to monitor and improve our service continually.

Regards,

Jaime W
Case Manager
IHGCare

Reviewed 26 July 2013

We had a good experience at this newly renovated HI Express.We were in town for a wedding and needed 2 rooms for a weekend.We got a king suite and a 2 queen regular room.Both rooms were large,bright,and clean.They were also very modern looking,with no old furniture and cracked tiles in the bathrooms.Complimentary breakfast was good as well as customer service.Pool area is above average and large.An overall great hotel!

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 13 July 2013

I stay in many H.I. Express', and this one was of the better 50% of them. Everything was up to date, clean, large room with mini fridge (no microwave) and large flat screen tv, bed was comfortable as always with all of the different pillows noted for being soft or hard, was right on the highway but didn't notice any highway noise. I was given a room that faced the indoor pool, so I don't know how the room against the exterior walls are. The lobby and breakfast area were more upscale looking than usual. The room unusually had a shower instead of a tub with seats in it, which was really nice. Water pressure / hot water was satisfactory, room was cooled down when I got there on a hot day, indoor pool area looked very nice and clean (didn't get in). The pool was large. There were a lot of restaurants, department stores, gas stations, etc. adjacent to the hotel. This is a safe, newer neighborhood so there are no worries about walking or car safety. The staff at the front desk was courteous, and had no issues. The only "non-praise" comment I have is that it was pricier than most other HI Express type hotels. ($149).

Room Tip: Hotel is next to interstate 35, so if you are concerned about road noise, I suggest requesting a roo...
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled on business
Krissy419, Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Olathe North, responded to this reviewResponded 14 July 2013

Thank you for your review! We are glad that you chose to stay with us while you were in town. Our renovations were recently completed in February, and we're excited that you found our facilities clean, comfortable and our staff courteous!! We are purchasing microwaves to be placed in all of our rooms and hope to have this completed by September of this year. Thank you again, and we look forward to your next visit.